Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

I think that the micro over the stove with a "fan" was designed to solve a shortage of space problem. But it usually creates another problem because the exhaust fan is not usually vented to the outside. (Perhaps, there are cases where it is?) So, what you end up with is an ineffective exhaust system over the stove.

The micro over the stove became popular ages ago. When I moved into my last house in 1986, I encountered that setup, and I was familiar with it then, and disliked it. There was no need to set the kitchen up like that; the kitchen was roomy! So, I always thought that doing it with the micro over the stove was a sort of trend.

When we remodeled the kitchen we had a good exhaust fan put it. What we did not know was that the convection oven would exhaust into the kitchen. That was a surprise. I had to get used to that. I understood later that there was an option to run the exhaust into the outside. I imagine in that kitchen it would have expensive to do.

As much as I loved using my convection oven, I don't miss having one now. My present oven works quite well. I am not sure paying extra in 1999 was really worth it. I don't know about newer convection ovens now. Perhaps you can't get a really nice oven without convection now.

At any rate, this stuff is not so much about style as about personal preference and functionality, I think. Or maybe, functionality is a part of style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 03:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Haven't you seen those women on HGTV that sooooooo need a spa bathroom to get away from everything?!?!

Yeah, I don't need a spa bathroom either. LOL

To each their own though. I think this phase may pass in time.
We're retired and downsizing, the house we're looking at is only around 1500 sf. But the master bath has a tv on the small wall abutting the tub. I don't watch TV so it's not a selling point for me but I was bemused to see it.
There's a roomy deep cast iron tub that appeals though, I can see myself doing an occasional long soak.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:48 PM

664 posts, read 1,028,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Vessel Sinks ? It is fine if you have a maid following you around all day. I am not a fan of the "open floor plan either". I don't like the idea of having the kitchen with all its mess in plain view.

I agree with you.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:50 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I think that the micro over the stove with a "fan" was designed to solve a shortage of space problem. But it usually creates another problem because the exhaust fan is not usually vented to the outside. (Perhaps, there are cases where it is?) So, what you end up with is an ineffective exhaust system over the stove.

The micro over the stove became popular ages ago. When I moved into my last house in 1986, I encountered that setup, and I was familiar with it then, and disliked it. There was no need to set the kitchen up like that; the kitchen was roomy! So, I always thought that doing it with the micro over the stove was a sort of trend.

When we remodeled the kitchen we had a good exhaust fan put it. What we did not know was that the convection oven would exhaust into the kitchen. That was a surprise. I had to get used to that. I understood later that there was an option to run the exhaust into the outside. I imagine in that kitchen it would have expensive to do.

As much as I loved using my convection oven, I don't miss having one now. My present oven works quite well. I am not sure paying extra in 1999 was really worth it. I don't know about newer convection ovens now. Perhaps you can't get a really nice oven without convection now.

At any rate, this stuff is not so much about style as about personal preference and functionality, I think. Or maybe, functionality is a part of style.
Our microwave is vented through the ceiling to the outside. It's not an industrial grade exhaust fan - but it works ok for our day-to-day cooking.

We have double wall ovens - one of which is a convection oven. Can't say I use the convection feature often - but it works well when I do. Honestly can't recall whether the oven vents through the ceiling. Not sure why it would have to. I don't generate (a lot of) smoke when I'm cooking things in the oven. At least not on purpose . Robyn

Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
ITA on the vessel sinks.

Our microwave is over the cooktop and that is fine with me. Our kitchen isn't small but there's no space I want to give up for the microwave. I NEED my double ovens. Especially this time of year.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:36 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
I hate hand painted furniture no matter how well its done, just dont like it and always imagine it flaking off and looking awful... My mother liked odd things in her house, those tiny brass ornaments all along her fireplace, cluttered things in the kitchen, she had a big hen she kept eggs in or anything in it come to think of it, but I think the very worst was back in the 50s and 60s when those ugly convex mirrors were fashionable, now what were they for, they were usually bordered in wrought iron fancy scroll design either black , white or gold, one was worse than another... then the lava lamps, coffee tables with a lamp attached, how tacky is that...but my own worst bloomer was the fireplace I had built, it was horrendous, white dappled effect like small stones had been thrown at it, half moon with .....wait for it a side compartment where my video could be slid in low down near the floor, WHY, was I going through some mental breakdown to allow this monstrosity to be custom made for my home..... Not only that it had low shelves at each side where my children used to sit..... I feel like crying now with embarrassment, and it wasnt even a real coal fire, it was a cheap electric one that sat in front of this hellish creation, and i saved up for weeks to pay the man who custom made them.... Ive had a look and theres isnt one like it online, wonder why I must have behttps://uk.pinterest.com/garbanssa/mirrors/en the only fool duped into buying one.............pimp my butterlfy mirror is like the ones I hated

Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Fortunately our microwave and convection oven are vented to the outside. I LOVE my convection oven!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
ITA on the vessel sinks.

Our microwave is over the cooktop and that is fine with me. Our kitchen isn't small but there's no space I want to give up for the microwave. I NEED my double ovens. Especially this time of year.
Double ovens are the first thing on my list when we redo our kitchen!!!

Old 11-20-2016, 11:34 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
5. Very high cathedral ceilings. Great for spiders and other bugs and impossible to clean.
All you need is a Webster:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ettore-Pr...094#about-item

That one extends to about 10 feet. If needed, you can get a longer extension pole.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Our microwave is vented through the ceiling to the outside. It's not an industrial grade exhaust fan - but it works ok for our day-to-day cooking.

We have double wall ovens - one of which is a convection oven. Can't say I use the convection feature often - but it works well when I do. Honestly can't recall whether the oven vents through the ceiling. Not sure why it would have to. I don't generate (a lot of) smoke when I'm cooking things in the oven. At least not on purpose . Robyn
It is the electronics that need cooling that causes the venting. The electronics in a convection oven could get too hot, and therefore venting is done with a fan. (At least that is what I was told. When I think about it, why did my convection oven have electronics and my present oven from 2002 does not? I don't know.)

At any rate, the venting started up shortly after I turned the oven on, and since I had had installed under counter, I could feel it on my legs.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 PM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
A few of my design dislikes:

McMansions with first floors that are so huge and impersonal that they look like the lobby of a building -- giant columns, for instance
Bookshelves with books arranged by color
Bookshelves with the book spines turned INWARD (at first I thought this was some kind of joke, but I've seen it more than once)
Antiqued furniture
Antlers
Sponge-painted walls (hello, 1990s)
Antique suitcases used as decor
The aforementioned "word art"

I have to say, though, that some of the style trends of the '60s-'80s were so much worse than anything from the last 20 years. The faux Early American of the '60s. The Mediterranean craze of the early '70s. The Kountry Kwaint of the '80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating