Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Guest bedrooms are an absolute must for us. When I have kids that have kids of their own and they live in states that are far from me, I encourage them to visit for their vacation. I prefer being able to get up earlier than them and have my coffee for that hour without worrying about whether I am making too much noise.

We had only one guest room in our rental so when we built, my requirement was at least two. I got three. . We also have the ability of putting an air mattress in my office. I might be able to get both families to visit at the same time. That would be awesome!!!

We also kidnap grandkids, a couple at a time, for two weeks each summer. This is without the parents. We get to know our long distance grands and they get to know us. We all look forward to it. Parents get a bit of a break and we get to have fun with the grands.

Best compliment ever was when my DIL said that her oldest said we were the fun grandparents. It's only because we can spend those weeks with them. We also are the grandparents that actually play with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Although I find them boring I understand the appeal of a white kitchen, especially in a tiny apartment like I have, they are light, clean & airy feeling. But also too boring for me & I don't want to be wiping smudged cabinets a lot. I am painting my tiny galley oak cabinets a light gray, think putty, seems like a decent compromise between white or honey oak cabinets. Dislike white subway tiles as well since I grew up taking subways almost daily, not what I want to be reminded of in my kitchen, I won't mention that they were in most public restrooms I've seen also...

I too dislike the inspirational word signs & phrases in a home, "JOY" "PEACE" ... maybe for a child's room ok, I prefer a few pictures, some art. I'm bombarded with signs & ads nonstop in the streets, not in my home please - visual pollution to me.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM

139 posts, read 129,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
For me, right now, it's…..subway tile.

Is this the way some people feel about granite counter tops?

OMG, I'm so tired of seeing subway tile…white or any other color at this point.
People see an interesting decor choice or finish option and just were it out.
So…..please for the love all interior design -- stop it, with the subway tile!
haha. i'm with you. i understand why people use it, but there are so many beautiful tiles out there. in new york subway tiles are like a plague.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnishr View Post
I personally am not a fan of the green trend. I know that's the color of the year but if overdone/not done strategically it can look a hot mess.
Well Greenery is pretty intense, isn't it? A lighter vintagey green would be pretty in a kitchen, I think.

I think your last statement, "if overdone/not done strategically it can look a hot mess" could be said about blue or red or gray or aqua or orange.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was born in 1962. A whole branch of two of my family tree didn't believe in redecorating, apparently, because their homes were stuck in the 1950s and 1960s - UGH UGH UGH.

Sorry - but most of that crap was ugly as homemade sin. And we're not talking about poor people with cheap furniture - we're talking about middle class Americans - and some upper middle class folks - and their typical, average homes for their income levels.

Ugly. Ugly ugly ugly.

I'm not saying that every single style that come from that era was ugly - but the majority of stuff was in my opinion.
^^^THIS!!! I really don't like that look either - actually to me, just about anything from the 1950s - 1970s is very, very ugly.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:13 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you hate the idea of having one wall painted differently from the rest of the walls, then don't do it.

This "trend" was big in the 1970s, by the way, It isn't that new.

And, I had it done in a large great room in the early aughts. I didn't know anyone else who was doing that, but I wanted to do it, and I had it done. Two walls were of a deeper tone than two other walls, all of the same color. It looked great, IMO.
Agree. I love the one-color wall.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Like anything, if done well, an accent wall can be amazeballz. I also like the wallpaper on accent walls in bedrooms. Adds so much drama to the focal point. *love love love*

Old 02-10-2017, 10:53 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Sofas full of loose pillows. My sofa has 6 loose pillows on it. I don't know what I was thinking, since we throw most of them on the floor in order to have room to sit down.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sofas full of loose pillows. My sofa has 6 loose pillows on it. I don't know what I was thinking, since we throw most of them on the floor in order to have room to sit down.
I know, right!

Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I agree w/some (many) of the other posts, have to add: chalk painted furniture!! IMO, it's ugly. There is someone in my FB yard sale group that ruins beautiful antique pieces by chalk painting them (sometimes leaving some parts the beautiful original) - it looks old and dated IMO (and she wants really high prices)
I agree about the chalk paint furniture. I love my beautiful antique pieces and would never paint them. However I do have a damaged dining room hutch that I am painting with a teal of some type and putting in my office. I plan to put my tea sets in in and than use the bottom for office storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating