Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 09:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I work for a school system. The student desks and tables all have Wilsonart laminate surfaces. If it can stand up to that abuse........

It can but sadly laminate countertops have such a negative rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I had 40-year-old laminate counters in the small cottagy kitchen in my last house. They were white so dirt couldn't hide and they were always clean. Any marks could be bleached out. I liked them more than my current granite.

And I never lost a twist-tie on them.
Hahaha! Granite is like the Bermuda Triangle for twist ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I work for a school system. The student desks and tables all have Wilsonart laminate surfaces. If it can stand up to that abuse........
Isn't that the truth!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 PM

336 posts, read 575,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And no more "Live Laugh Love" signs either.

In fact, no more signs.

Look, I don't mind a word or two or a framed quote once in awhile - I mean like maybe one or two in the whole house. I just don't want pithy words or quotes hanging or sitting around everywhere.
I agree!!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:01 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,131 times
I guess a lot of this comes down to personal taste, where a person lives, and lifestyle. A lot of peeves stated before don’t bother me. What I don’t like:

I loathe all white cabinets in any kitchen, regardless of how elegant, homey, or streamlined it may look. Let the trend pass soon. I’m good with light uppers and dark lowers depending on overall layout. I’m not a fan of the glossy colored kitchen cabinet trend, like blue or red cabinets. It can look good sometimes, like in industrial style condos/lofts, but I don’t think the longevity is there.

I’d also never, ever, ever have laminate, tile, or corian countertops in my home. Hard pass or immediate remodel required before moving in.

I do not like the picnic table in the dining room. Yes, you can get more seating, but all I see is campground seating... and I hate camping. I guess this is a part of the farmhouse style trend and yes, it works there, but it’s not my style. Barn doors don’t bother me, but I won’t be putting one in my home. Another fad that will cost once it’s over. Actually, I’m not a fan of most of the rustic, farmhouse, shabby chic, worn wood, chipped paint, wood-on-walls (why???), fake animal heads. None of it.

The trend of “flea market” and so-called antique, but really junk decorating. I guess this is a taste thing, but some things should not be repurposed. I get decorators are looking to be different, but having junk in my home for the sake of it, does not add character, warmth, or depth. I’m not adding repurposed junk to my home.

I don’t believe this is still done, but any shade of red in dining rooms. Supposedly to stimulate appetites. The food should do that regardless. Awful trend.

Purposely turning garages into spaces other than for housing the cars. Yes, it’s a way to gain more living space, but your 50-yard line decor or personal CrossFit boot camp isn’t going to add any extra value in my mind since all I will see is a place for our cars to go. We don’t park in our driveway or on the street. Our cars go into the garage. Thanks for the cool decor though.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Mine is Wilsonart. Custom made - they actually had to make it twice because the builder initially put the dishwasher on the wrong side of the sink so they had to replace the countertop when they fixed that.

http://www.wilsonart.com/calcutta-marble-4925?q=marble

And unfortunately, after 3 years, it has cuts in it from a knife (that's my son's fault but still) and it's warped around the sink from water. No seam - they were able to use a single sheet for the island.

In another couple of years, I will be switching it out for quartz or granite. As I said, I'm glad others have been happy with their laminate counters. It's just too bad that has not been my experience.
That stinks and I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Yes laminate will get cuts as it is not stone. I wonder if your sink wasn't installed properly. We are building now but living in the rv and we remodeled the kitchen area using one of the pre made counter tops and I have a mess of water around the sink everyday and I have no problems. I would imagine though if my seal wasn't so great and water seeped in then it might warp.

Either way god luck to you with your new counters when you get them. I had water stains with my granite, yes they go away when it dries but water does darken it even when sealed, unless my granite people didn't seal it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomadness View Post
I guess a lot of this comes down to personal taste, where a person lives, and lifestyle. A lot of peeves stated before don’t bother me. What I don’t like:

I loathe all white cabinets in any kitchen, regardless of how elegant, homey, or streamlined it may look. Let the trend pass soon. I’m good with light uppers and dark lowers depending on overall layout. I’m not a fan of the glossy colored kitchen cabinet trend, like blue or red cabinets. It can look good sometimes, like in industrial style condos/lofts, but I don’t think the longevity is there.

Agreed. I am not a fan of white cabinets or the glossy ones but I also don't like different colored cabinets in the kitchen

I’d also never, ever, ever have laminate, tile, or corian countertops in my home. Hard pass or immediate remodel required before moving in.

I do not like the picnic table in the dining room. Yes, you can get more seating, but all I see is campground seating... and I hate camping. I guess this is a part of the farmhouse style trend and yes, it works there, but it’s not my style. Barn doors don’t bother me, but I won’t be putting one in my home. Another fad that will cost once it’s over. Actually, I’m not a fan of most of the rustic, farmhouse, shabby chic, worn wood, chipped paint, wood-on-walls (why???), fake animal heads. None of it.

The trend of “flea market” and so-called antique, but really junk decorating. I guess this is a taste thing, but some things should not be repurposed. I get decorators are looking to be different, but having junk in my home for the sake of it, does not add character, warmth, or depth. I’m not adding repurposed junk to my home.

I don’t believe this is still done, but any shade of red in dining rooms. Supposedly to stimulate appetites. The food should do that regardless. Awful trend.

Purposely turning garages into spaces other than for housing the cars. Yes, it’s a way to gain more living space, but your 50-yard line decor or personal CrossFit boot camp isn’t going to add any extra value in my mind since all I will see is a place for our cars to go. We don’t park in our driveway or on the street. Our cars go into the garage. Thanks for the cool decor though.

Agreed about shabby chic and chipped paint. Really "fake" heads? Thankfully I haven't seen that.

I do like some of the accent wood walls and I do like pine ceilings. Funny about the barn doors. I love them outside on barns but not really inside. The tracks are just too bulky and to have them on bedroom or bathroom makes no sense to me. Thee don't offer enough privacy. With that being said my DH and I are actually installing one in our new house in the country. It's a practical solution for the smaller room we have but dead wall space.

I hate when people take away their garages. That is not a plus.

I looked up from my book last night and my DH had the end of Fixer Upper on. Anyway she had some kind of open boxes built in like a wall divider or something. She then proceeded to fill every single square with pieces of junk. Really

Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:

And no more "Live Laugh Love" signs either.

In fact, no more signs.

Look, I don't mind a word or two or a framed quote once in awhile - I mean like maybe one or two in the whole house. I just don't want pithy words or quotes hanging or sitting around everywhere.
From your lips to God's ears.

Unless it's the breakfast room I saw with a painted quote from "Alice in Wonderland" around the crown molding -
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

That's allowed. Encouraged even.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
From your lips to God's ears.

Unless it's the breakfast room I saw with a painted quote from "Alice in Wonderland" around the crown molding -
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

That's allowed. Encouraged even.
Well, I admit that I did stencil "Can't stand rudeness in a man - won't tolerate it. - Captain Call" once over my kitchen sink. And "Carpe Diem" has been stenciled somewhere in every house I've lived in for decades, because that's my mind set.

I'm all for unique expressions! And I do like that breakfast room quote! I just don't like pithy signs and words stuck everywhere.

In fact, just yesterday I was looking at the metal initials of my husband and me, that I hung in our master bath, and I was thinking, "I don't like those. I don't even know why I bought them. Note to self - replace."

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:

I'm all for unique expressions! And I do like that breakfast room quote! I just don't like pithy signs and words stuck everywhere.
Me neither.

99.9% of signs are awful.

I saw the breakfast room in a magazine years ago before signage took over. It was incredibly well done and managed to be whimsical and elegant at the same time. They used a great font for the lettering.

I was taken with it because I'd already had a similar idea.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Me neither.

99.9% of signs are awful.

I saw the breakfast room in a magazine years ago before signage took over. It was incredibly well done and managed to be whimsical and elegant at the same time. They used a great font for the lettering.

I was taken with it because I'd already had a similar idea.
Correction 99.99999999999999999% of wall words are awful, and come off as smug IMHO. Feels like being scolded just looking at them.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:22 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Subway tile reminds me of a...subway! Ugh.
That's why I like it. Reminds me of the NYC subway, obviously (where it gets its name).

Different folks for different folks, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating