Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I admit to not feeling the need for drapes. We put nice shades or blinds in most our windows, and I love the drapeless look. I would like to add them in our bedroom, for looks. But I don’t
feel the need of them in general.

And I hate valances. Even when valances were in style, I hated them.

If you live in a densely populated area you need some sort of window covering. When I lived on three acres, I left my kichen window bare because it faced dense woods. And in the great room, I had simple curtains.

I guess I sort of got over draperies in the 1990s.

I'm with you on all of the above.

And like I said before, I love subway tile, especially all the variations that there are in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My styles is transitional - mostly mid century through modern. If you have more traditional styling, then drapery is a better fit.
Mid-century living rooms had curtains.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:56 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The trend I'd like to see go away is the naked window trend. Bring back drapes!

Until they fell out of fashion, they were such stunning features in a room. They added so much color, drama, temperature control and (most importantly) privacy to a room. Not to mention your house is less likely to be burglarized if people can't look in through your windows. But now drapes are out of fashion, and naked windows are the rage. Please--let this trend pass! Bring back drapes!

Or, if drapes are triggering a fear of imminent death from germs (which is silly in my opinion, but that's a whole different topic) bring back blinds!

I get that uncovered windows allow maximum sunlight into a room. And I'm not talking about large picture windows overlooking a pastoral view. If you have a view, by all means you should enjoy it. But windows that look at another house need a covering that can be closed from time to time.
Strange. I have not seen any homes in my area where people have "naked windows".

As for drapes, I find them too heavy for my tastes in most rooms. I much prefer blinds. I have very light drapes in my guest room, but that is it.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
They had simple drapes, if my memory serves.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I remember those. Every time my mom closed the drapes at night, she had to bend over and unstick one from the lamp cord it got caught on. I would have gotten so tired of that I would have yanked the drapes down or thrown the table and lamp out. But every picture window had to have a table and lamp in front of it and drapes on it that were to be opened in the morning and closed at night.

Sometimes I don't miss the 1960s.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, then it's a good thing that I didn't say I was trying to create a mid-century modern look - I said I had a transitional style that included mid century elements.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Today I was watching a House Hunters episode where the woman was complaining about "how far down I have to bend to see into this oven!"

It was a standard stove with a regular oven. All I could think of to say was, "You poor baby."

Don't even get me started on the 20- and 30-somethings that walk into a perfectly useful kitchen and complain they can't cook in it until it's been totally renovated. I never knew cooking on a white stove as opposed to cooking on an updated stainless steel one was soooooo difficult.

See there, I got started. Now I need to get myself off this subject.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:37 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
I'm with you, Rodentraiser. Those entitled 20 and 30-somethings are enough to make you want to move into a log cabin - the old kind.

For every looker who said, "Of course, the kitchen would have to be completely redone," when I thought it was perfectly usable, there was one who said, "This is entirely too small." I know they have to get a story on those house hunter programs, but that sort of thing made me quit watching it because I usually wanted to throw a brick through the TV while watching them.

I do credit that show with making people understand they can't be showing their house for sale with all their kid's underwear left all over the floor. Even if they do go a little too far.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
How about taking a two-story center-entrance Colonial and putting two columns on the front stoop? Then it becomes Greek revival!
Yeah but a lot of those old 2 story colonials are ugly They need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Today I was watching a House Hunters episode where the woman was complaining about "how far down I have to bend to see into this oven!"

It was a standard stove with a regular oven. All I could think of to say was, "You poor baby."

Don't even get me started on the 20- and 30-somethings that walk into a perfectly useful kitchen and complain they can't cook in it until it's been totally renovated. I never knew cooking on a white stove as opposed to cooking on an updated stainless steel one was soooooo difficult.

See there, I got started. Now I need to get myself off this subject.
And most likely they don't cook

Old 02-25-2018, 10:04 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Haha. Have to admit that I make a similar comment as this woman whenever I watch The Great British Baking Show and see all the contestants sitting on the floor watching their bakes. I'm not picky about the color of my appliances but I've been spoiled by my wall ovens, and at my age, I welcome not having to bend way over to remove something heavy from the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating