Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a person who needs to see outside.
Here's the thing about blinds and curtains and shades: They open, they close. Get up in the morning, open the blinds. Look outside. Get ready for bed in the evening, close the blinds.

Oh, the miracles of modern living!

And for those of you who think passersby can't see in your windows at night with the lights on - turn all your lights on and go outside. Look back at your windows. Oops ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Here's the thing about blinds and curtains and shades: They open, they close. Get up in the morning, open the blinds. Look outside. Get ready for bed in the evening, close the blinds.

And for those of you who think passersby can't see in your windows at night with the lights on - turn all your lights on and go outside. Look back at your windows. Oops ...
exactly.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Frieze carpet. I can't stand it. It flattens when walked on, shows the path you trod.. . And a friend has it, loves it, and after 12 years it was showing signs of fraying. Whatever.

Another is crushed velvet on furniture.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:

That is very true. So many people think people can't see them from outside when many times it's like a large fishbowl.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
That is very true. So many people think people can't see them from outside when many times it's like a large fishbowl.
My mom made some curtains for my bathroom years ago out of blue cotton gingham - for my bathroom on a very busy main drag in town. One day I accidentally left the lights on in the bathroom when I went to work, and came home after dark. I looked up to my second story bathroom window - and could see every single detail in the room from about waist height and up. Yikes!!! I didn't even go into the apartment - I went directly to the store to purchase a thick, sturdy blind.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
^^^I agree and I always had some type of window covering - for privacy and security,
btw, we lived in 2 homes and there were some neighbors who did not have blinds, shades, drapes,
curtains.... and a handful were robbed. Professional and amateur thieves scoped the homes (easy to
do with a clear view of the inside). One family was robbed twice.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^I agree and I always had some type of window covering - for privacy and security,
btw, we lived in 2 homes and there were some neighbors who did not have blinds, shades, drapes,
curtains.... and a handful were robbed. Professional and amateur thieves scoped the homes (easy to
do with a clear view of the inside). One family was robbed twice.
Very true about thieves. I worked with police officers quite a bit in my working days, and they said the same thing.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Very true about thieves. I worked with police officers quite a bit in my working days, and they said the same thing.
They said the same thing what? Don't have bare windows, or don't have drapes that you close when you're away (then the robbers know you're gone), or what? I've often wondered which thing is worse, to leave things open as if it were daytime when you're gone (because I would imagine a closed drape when you're out of town shouts "gone on vacation"), or to have maybe plantation shutters tilted so no one can see in (and then you've cut off your light during the day). It's a problem. Maybe sheers so no one can see in during the day, but what about at night? Heavy drapes behind the sheers maybe, that can be closed. And then when you're away, the heavy drapes behind the sheers can be kept closed but with a dark liner wouldn't look like closed drapes. Did you eyes just glaze over while I was describing that? Mine did

Old 03-09-2018, 05:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:

I have sheers on my front windows. I've stood outside at night with my lights on during the night and no, I can't see anything other than fuzzy shapes. Personally I'm OK with that. And during the day, I get the natural light but I don't get street views, and I'm OK with that too. (Even though we live in a very low crime area and my street view is a neighborhood street.)

We are sticklers about having a very private back yard, as well as lots of natural light. Our back yard is really pretty and park like. We have tons of windows that look out onto that yard, and we never ever close those blinds (and have no sheers on those windows either).

We live on a lot that allows the windows on the sides of our home to be private.

So long story short, I never go around in the morning opening blinds or curtains or shades, and never go around at night closing them. I just love natural light too much and like others have said, I love bringing the outdoors in. To me, our outdoor areas are as much a part of our home as the artwork hanging on various walls.

Plus I just hate waking up in a dark house. I love waking up to the sun coming up!

For those worried about thievery - three words: Home security system. Oh the miracles of modern living! That being said, one time I forgot to set the alarm, and we were gone a week, and when we got home, we realized that our front door had been unlocked the entire time! LOL Like I said - it's a very low crime area, thank goodness.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
They said the same thing what? Don't have bare windows, or don't have drapes that you close when you're away (then the robbers know you're gone), or what? I've often wondered which thing is worse, to leave things open as if it were daytime when you're gone (because I would imagine a closed drape when you're out of town shouts "gone on vacation"), or to have maybe plantation shutters tilted so no one can see in (and then you've cut off your light during the day). It's a problem. Maybe sheers so no one can see in during the day, but what about at night? Heavy drapes behind the sheers maybe, that can be closed. And then when you're away, the heavy drapes behind the sheers can be kept closed but with a dark liner wouldn't look like closed drapes. Did you eyes just glaze over while I was describing that? Mine did
LOL, never heard of closed drapes shouting "gone on vacation." But, for the sake of clarity, what the police officers meant was windows without coverings tend to attract thieves. Not sure if this also extends to windows that have drapes, but the drapes are left open. We were talking about a recent local trend of people having no coverings at all for their windows, and the police officers said it was a very bad idea because it attracted thieves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating