Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 06:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Medium grey or darker as the color of the current trend. Even if you live in the Sunbelt, it take a lot of work to make the rest of the room look not gloomy. A year or two back, I was in, I think, a Restoration Hardware store where it was all grey and poorly lit, and going through the store was like being in a crypt.
I really miss the OLD Restoration Hardware...from like, 12-15 years ago. It’s so gloomy and depressing and industrial now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:16 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I personally can't stand tile - had it in my last kitchen and ended up hating it with a passion - although it was convenient to be able to set a hot pot or casserole directly on the counter! But I will never have a tile kitchen again. Tile backsplash maybe, but definitely not counters or floors.
Totally agree. My parents had tile countertops when I was a kid - all I remember about it was the constant fight to try to clean the crumbs out of the grout. Never again for me.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:29 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Totally agree. My parents had tile countertops when I was a kid - all I remember about it was the constant fight to try to clean the crumbs out of the grout. Never again for me.
The 80’s kitchen we tore out two years ago had tile countertops. A definite push toward ripping it out. Now we have quartz.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:26 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Well, then it's a good thing that I didn't say I was trying to create a mid-century modern look - I said I had a transitional style that included mid century elements.
Transitional style rooms - even ones with mid century elements! - have had and still do have curtains, too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Right, a lot of them had sheers. Those were white translucent ruffled tie backs. They let the light in but it was hard to really see through them. I still have some in a box somewhere, came out of my aunt's house.
My old house had sheers - not the ruffled kind - that came with the house, and I grew to like them for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
A furniture style I never want to lay eyes on again is "French Provincial." That curvy fake French style that some people had in their formal rooms. It also seemed to be highly favored for little girls' bedrooms, poor girls. The girl's bedroom would have white "French Provincial" with pink ruffled fabric. Four poster beds with pick gingham checks too.
LOL, you just described my childhood bedroom! That furniture was a five-year-old girl's dream in 1964. And if you can find any of that style furniture in good shape, it goes for a pretty penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Actually, I'm so eager to get a home of my own I'd cook in a cardboard box if it came with a roof and its own lawn. LOL
Aw, I hope you get your home soon. With tile counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm also a nut about tile - I love it. I know everyone doesn't like it.
I like it, too. It's a little more work to keep the grout sealed and clean, but having a surface that's forgiving and colorful is worth it.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
I don't have a white kitchen, but I don't need my kitchen cabinets to be an interesting color. I prefer a neutral color for cabinets, and I add interest with accessories and decor which can be easily changed when desired. Even the countertops feel like a place to add interest more than cabinetry to me.
I agree. I love that I can add a color point so easily now with my white kitchen. Before with the knotty pine overpowering everything, colors were just lost completely.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Aw, I hope you get your home soon. With tile counters.
Thank you! Working on it now.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

My old house had sheers - not the ruffled kind - that came with the house, and I grew to like them for a variety of reasons.
I thought you said sheets, lol. When I was young my mother used to make my bedroom curtains out of the matching sheets my our comforters.

I have also made some quick curtains using sheets when I was younger. At the time buying sheets was cheaper than buying either the fabric or the pre made curtains.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
Yeah, I've made tons of curtains using sheets in the past. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be the same choice of pattern, etc., and the fabric isn't as good. Nothing stays the same!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yeah, I've made tons of curtains using sheets in the past. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be the same choice of pattern, etc., and the fabric isn't as good. Nothing stays the same!
True. Sheets are kind of plain and definitely thinner today.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 AM

30,540 posts, read 16,231,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
True. Sheets are kind of plain and definitely thinner today.
and it's hard to find single sheets as opposed to sets. Not sheets for single beds but I used to like getting individual sheets and mixing top sheet and bottom sheet prints. Not so easy any more.

maybe I should say that's what I'm sick of: sheet sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating