Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's fortunate that you don't watch football games on weekends during the day, when the contrast would be a problem for the eyes, not "just" glare.

It's just surprising that someone who enjoys insulting other posters for their design choices would allow such an afterthought in what is apparently the main room of her home.

Neither are arrogance and condescension.

Luckily these days companies know cord management is an issue for people. There are so many DIY options these days for camouflaging them. But using unconventional furniture to hold the TV is a cool idea too
1. That is correct, we don’t watch football or televised sports. Maybe the Olympic Games.

2. I’m uncertain where you get the idea that the TV placement is an afterthought. If you have to invent stories about my lifestyle to come up with critiques, just to launch thinly veiled attacks, then by all means imagine away. I don’t have an interest in wasting time with whatever hang up or grudge that’s in your head though. Fair warning.

3. Agree about using unconventional pieces to support a TV. Just because something is marketed as a nighstand or a side table, doesn’t mean it can’t serve as something else. Here’s one that I like - a seating bench with drawers doubling as TV stand. Great choice for the space-constrained urban dweller: https://goo.gl/images/MDQ9yX

Last edited by hellopity; 01-14-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
2. I’m uncertain where you get the idea that the TV placement is an afterthought.
Because I know from reading this forum that you place a lot of value on your own opinions about design, so to see an error like that is surprising. Don't worry ... I know you'll spend two paragraphs trying to explain how it's not actually an error. That's ok ... your condo, your rules

Quote:
If you have to invent stories about my lifestyle to come up with critiques, just to launch thinly veiled attacks, then by all means imagine away. I don’t have an interest in wasting time with whatever hang up or grudge that’s in your head though.
It's sweet that you thought it was thinly veiled I'm responding to your own words, with which I unfortunately am familiar here. It sucks when people post innocent queries to ask for help and then get hit with one of your grandiloquent attacks. It's mean, and unnecessary.

Back on topic, I'm seeing too much mirrored furniture out there.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Obviously it bothers you more than it does me. For me the bigger eyesore is the black cord from the lamp next to the LCW.

Agreed that is also an eyesore.

I’m not sure if you mean something else? Just so people reading don’t get confused, glare is light reflected off the TV or monitor screen, not light coming from behind the TV. In most glass-walled condos, daytime glare actually happens most severely when the TV is placed in an interior wall. One way to mitigate glare is to actually place the TV in front of the window rather than let the TV face a large window. The bigger issue is night time glare from interior lights, which is the time when we watch TV. This affects all interiors with night time TV viewing, not just the glass-walled spaces. As you can see from the photo, the TV acts like a mirror and reflects interior lights. Dim all interior lights that cause glare when watching TV at night.
Glare was the wrong word. I was thinking if strong sunlight was coming in that window you wouldn't be able to see the TV in which case you would need a window covering and that would block your view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Hey, what a good idea. I'm going to do that. I hate our TV stand, which in this place is just an occasional table, but in other places I've had those purpose-built things and like one other poster I kept hoping someone would steal that but no one ever did.
We like it and our nightstands actually have 3 drawers each so we picked up a lot of storage. Just check before you either do it or buy the furniture. Some nightstands have an overhang(not sure of the right word) but they won't butt up next to each other without leaving a gap. I think it works best with flat edges so it looks like one piece of furniture.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You're lucky then. I've been in my house for less than 2 years and my formica already has some scratches/cuts (thanks to my son not using a cutting board) as well as some warping where water seeped in between the sink and the counter. And in my bathroom, the formica is cracked from a nail pop from the cabinet below.

This was new construction and I got formica knowing that I planned to replace it in the first few years, because the builder didn't have what I wanted in granite or quartz. I didn't realize it would develop damage quite as quickly as it has though.
My laminate kitchen counter lasted over 30 years. I just replaced it with granite to sell, but, other than being dated (faux butcher block), there was nothing wrong with it.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Glare was the wrong word. I was thinking if strong sunlight was coming in that window you wouldn't be able to see the TV in which case you would need a window covering and that would block your view.
Agreed. Since daytime TV viewing isn't an important part of our lifestyle, it doesn't make sense to dwell on that concern or create an issue where there is none. I might put on some Pandora and use the "Picture Off" feature on the TV on lazy Sundays when I'm reading, but that's about it.

A design trend in the past decade has been the glass walled highrise in urban centers. Often times at least 2 walls in a unit will be constructed of large windows, if not outright floor to ceiling glass. The trade-off of having a flood of natural light in these units is that daytime TV watching will be challenging (glare, bright ambient light). For those who choose to make these units their homes, they just have to be cognizant of the factors and limitations, consider their lifestyle needs, and incorporate layouts that make the most sense for them. If daytime TV watching is super important to them, then many of these glass-walled units may not be the best fit for their lifestyle. And don't get me started on furniture. Some people in my building act super surprised when I tell them photo-bleaching of furniture will be an issue unless they use blinds all the time. I'm more on the not lowering the blinds camp, and I just accept that photobleaching will occur, and plan on getting new furniture every few years. While I don't like to see this glass building design trend go away, I certainly hope people buying into these buildings are aware of the advantages and limitations in these spaces. I know some people are tired of these glass buildings and want to see other designs (curves, angles, concrete, plant wall, etc.) and I can understand how a city full of glass towers can be boring.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
My laminate kitchen counter lasted over 30 years. I just replaced it with granite to sell, but, other than being dated (faux butcher block), there was nothing wrong with it.
I loved the laminate counters I had a couple houses ago. As long as you don't set down a hot pot on them, as you know they are tough and **bonus** easy to clean.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:48 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
some of the 60's i kinda liked, but then i lived thru it.
i hate with a passion the 80's pastel colors and those valance on top of the verticals, OMG horrible.

i did like the dark wood tones of the 70's though. my mom had medeteranean spanish stile, as was my bedroom, i think thats it was, looked like it belonged in a castle LOL.....beams, bricks and wallpaper in the hallway that was a gold foil with black velvet print on it, it has a name but I dont remember what they called it as I was a teen...

scream, what was she thinking.....????

my apartment decor has changed many times over the years as well, but i dont think any of the styles i had were really nauseating, out of style now, yes, but nauseating, no.....

lets come back here in another 15 years, what will we say. lol.

that was a fun article.

i dont really have a set style now, just things i like, so its easy to change a little thing here and there to keep it somewhat in tune with the era.......sort of, i think

Old 01-14-2018, 08:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Please. No more "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" wall murals over the bed.
I just can't take it, anymore.

That's it.
That's all I ask.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wires are a curse of modern life. I don't get too upset about them.
Thought that said "wives".

Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I loved the laminate counters I had a couple houses ago. As long as you don't set down a hot pot on them, as you know they are tough and **bonus** easy to clean.
I had 40-year-old laminate counters in the small cottagy kitchen in my last house. They were white so dirt couldn't hide and they were always clean. Any marks could be bleached out. I liked them more than my current granite.

And I never lost a twist-tie on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating