Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
We do have two sinks but it's not necessary at all as we are not really even in the bathroom at the same time in the morning. What I really need is two showers. Actually I do have a shower in the hall bath. I think I'll start using it.

My bathroom is ridiculously large. I thought it was so luxurious when we bought this dumb house, but it's just too big. It would make a lovely New York apartment. But, nothing is close at hand or convenient. We have both a jacuzzi tub and a stand up shower and we never use the tub. I wish instead of that dumb tub I had more closet space. So much wasted space in my bathroom. There is a separate toilet room in the bathroom, which is only necessary because the bathroom is so big the splashes would echo otherwise. I also have to walk through the bathroom to get to my closet. I feel like it's a hike. I practically have to pack a snack.

My prior home had the closet separate from the bathroom and double sinks separate from the tub/toilet combo room. It was so much more practical. I could use the sink and bop in and out of the closet while hubs was in the shower or toilet and I was free of the shower or poop steam. The double sinks meant I had plenty of counter space.
Our bath is so big, we have two vanities and mirrors! We also have a useless (to us) soaker or Jacuzzi tub, a large walk in closet and a combo watercloset and shower.

Yeah, I'd like do the entire bath over. But we do not have dampness probs in the closet. And, I really like having two vanities. His and hers. But I think the master bath is too big. Honestly, it doesn't need to be this big. I suspect it was designed for people who might have to use walkers. But the vanities are taller than the norm, and the door to the bath is too narrow for a wheelchair. So, what they were thinking when they built this house, I don't know and can't figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Our bath is so big, we have two vanities and mirrors! We also have a useless (to us) soaker or Jacuzzi tub, a large walk in closet and a combo watercloset and shower.

Yeah, I'd like do the entire bath over. But we do not have dampness probs in the closet. And, I really like having two vanities. His and hers. But I think the master bath is too big. Honestly, it doesn't need to be this big. I suspect it was designed for people who might have to use walkers. But the vanities are taller than the norm, and the door to the bath is too narrow for a wheelchair. So, what they were thinking when they built this house, I don't know and can't figure out.
Haven't you seen those women on HGTV that sooooooo need a spa bathroom to get away from everything?!?!

Yeah, I don't need a spa bathroom either. LOL

To each their own though. I think this phase may pass in time.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I need those two sinks in my master bath. Otherwise there would be no place for my cat to curl up and watch me brush my teeth.
My childhood cat slept in the bathroom sink. But we only had one sink, which caused problems especially in the middle of the night when I'd go in without turning on the lights, and then surprising the poor kitty when I went to wash my hands ...

Old 10-07-2016, 06:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
OMG YES! I absolutely hate that my closet is in my bathroom for the very reasons you describe.
Hhhmmm... we had that set up for a few years and there was no problem. No moisture issues. My complaint was that there were doors on the closets and on the toilet room but not between the vanities/shower and the bedroom.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:54 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Hubby and I could make do just fine with one sink, since we have different schedules, but we have two. I agree that the spa tub never gets used.
The thing is, maybe when we go to sell, these things will be important to someone.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:14 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,349 times
Spa tubs get used when you have little kids (easier to give them a bath in). Otherwise, ours have never been used by an adult. Lol.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have a stainless steel sink but I don't want to see anything else stainless steel anywhere else in my kitchen or house. Stainless steel makes your home look like a science lab. I am using white for all appliances now. I have been through many different colors and none of them last. White's a keeper.

Get rid of those dark cabinets too. Toothpaste or kitchen splashes really show up on dark cabinets. I prefer white cabinets too. Color can be added in other places.
I'm perfectly fine with that, the kitchen is where science happens. But I love the industrial look. One could have their appliances painted, I don't think people ever consider that option, even though they'd be willing to paint just about everything else that isn't cloth.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Shag carpet. To be more specific, orange and brown shag carpet. The kind you would use those plastic rakes on to make them fluffy again.

https://www.google.com/search?q=70%2...LFmJgM#imgrc=_

Plastic rake for carpet: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/204843483025945840/
Really liked one of those rugs until I saw the price ...$6200. I just ordered thick shag carpet for my living room and it was $1300 for about 140 sq ft. so I guess it was a good deal.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
I dislike matchy matchy rooms--bedroom suites in particular. I like to purchase each piece for its own significance and use.

towels on the bar in the bathroom with ribbon tied around it. WTH? I'm not supposed to use it I guess.

art too high up the wall
cheap wallmart or target prints.

a living area filled with personal photographs. Did you really forget what your husband who is sitting next to you looks like?

decanters filled with colored water on the bathroom counter
silk or fake flowers
brass anything
full wall mirrors in the bathroom. looks like a motel bathroom

laminate "wood" floors
gray anything
collections on display except maybe 3 or 5 very nice things. Anything else looks like a retail store to me.

I haven' taken a bath in over 30 years so to me fancy jetted bathtubs are a waste of money and space.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM

483 posts, read 418,645 times
Mirror desk, cabinets, dresser, vanity...
Tacky, tacky, tacky!!!

Agree with spa, jacuzzi n hot tubs...
Human soup.. bleh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating