Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All you need is a Webster:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ettore-Pr...094#about-item

That one extends to about 10 feet. If needed, you can get a longer extension pole.
Every house (and a couple of apartments) I've lived in has had cathedral ceilings. Before special gadgets came along I taped a rag to the bottom of a broom, stood on a step stool, and swept away spider webs. It's really not that difficult to keep high ceilings clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 07:43 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,093,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
a living area filled with personal photographs. Did you really forget what your husband who is sitting next to you looks like?

usually the pictures are of specific times that evoke specific memories when you look at them. We have a number of pictures of our son from infant to young adult. NO, we haven't forgot what he looks like but the pictures evoke favorite memories.

Quote:
silk or fake flowers

They don't die like real ones do. No matter how good I take care of real flowers, they just wilt and die in a short while. Fake flowers and plants only need to be dusted occasionally.

Quote:
laminate "wood" floors
gray anything

While I love the real hardwood floors throughout most of my house, the vinyl "wood" floor in my kitchen is waterproof, cleans easily, is soft when stuff drops and worm on bare feet.

And I like the two shades of grey with white trim in the living room and entry hallway. Makes the colors of the things in the room "pop." And those things are:

Quote:
collections on display except maybe 3 or 5 very nice things. Anything else looks like a retail store to me.

I like my collection of car memorabilia, and it's my hobby not yours so I want to look at it in my own house.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

a living area filled with personal photographs. Did you really forget what your husband who is sitting next to you looks like?
That reminds me of a friend who told me that his grandmother bought photo frames and never replaced the photos of models that came with them. I guess she thought they looked better than her relatives.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I feel the same way about countertops. First it was granite, then Quartz or Caesarstone, then Carrera marble and now it's Calacatta marble. In there somewhere was concrete and stainless steel which blessedly didn't last long. As an appraiser, I see a LOT of high end homes. I told a realtor the other day that the next instant millionaire will be the guy who finds a new kind of countertop. Lately, glass is starting to show up a bit so maybe that will be the next new thing.
I guess you don't cook much. Because we who do need kitchen counters. The more the better. Personally I don't care for busy-patterned granite; Formica's fine with me but I'd be crazy to put that in a high-end home. I like the look of classic marble but it's a no-go in terms of maintenance. If you hate all the choices you named, what do you suggest?

Old 11-25-2016, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I hate hand painted furniture no matter how well its done, just dont like it and always imagine it flaking off and looking awful... My mother liked odd things in her house, those tiny brass ornaments all along her fireplace, cluttered things in the kitchen, she had a big hen she kept eggs in or anything in it come to think of it, but I think the very worst was back in the 50s and 60s when those ugly convex mirrors were fashionable, now what were they for, they were usually bordered in wrought iron fancy scroll design either black , white or gold, one was worse than another... then the lava lamps, coffee tables with a lamp attached, how tacky is that...but my own worst bloomer was the fireplace I had built, it was horrendous, white dappled effect like small stones had been thrown at it, half moon with .....wait for it a side compartment where my video could be slid in low down near the floor, WHY, was I going through some mental breakdown to allow this monstrosity to be custom made for my home..... Not only that it had low shelves at each side where my children used to sit..... I feel like crying now with embarrassment, and it wasnt even a real coal fire, it was a cheap electric one that sat in front of this hellish creation, and i saved up for weeks to pay the man who custom made them.... Ive had a look and theres isnt one like it online, wonder why I must have behttps://uk.pinterest.com/garbanssa/mirrors/en the only fool duped into buying one.............pimp my butterlfy mirror is like the ones I hated
I can't rep you again but this post had me laughing out loud!!!!!

I had some sort of horrid knock off "early American" (sort of) dining room set when I first got married. I remember that I paid $35 a month for it FOREVER. I'm pretty sure it wasn't real wood either. And I also bought a big plaid sofa at the same time. I thought I was DA BOMB too. And I think I hung a quilt on the wall behind that sofa. What was I thinking?

Old 01-29-2017, 09:03 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Black and white checkerboard flooring
Orange Painted Walls
Mirrored closet doors
Stovetop in an island
Hanging, dangling lights
Stovetop Oven right next to a wall
Tiled bathtub

Old 01-29-2017, 01:55 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I'm about to go to contract on my new home so we are wrestling with what we want to do with the damn place. It's pretty much "updated", baths are good and such. Kitchen is new but needs to be ripped out because it just isn't our thing. All colors are neutral, whole house is off white or light beige, so we are trying pick out "colors". Kitchen is granite, cherry/dark wood cabinets/ss appliances, typical HGTV look. Definitely doing some kind of white cabinets and butcher block countertops. I'll keep the ss appliances, one of the few trendy things I like.
It's all stressful and exciting at the same time. Picking out the color schemes is a pain in the ass. We are actually leaning towards blues/grays/whites.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm about to go to contract on my new home so we are wrestling with what we want to do with the damn place. It's pretty much "updated", baths are good and such. Kitchen is new but needs to be ripped out because it just isn't our thing. All colors are neutral, whole house is off white or light beige, so we are trying pick out "colors". Kitchen is granite, cherry/dark wood cabinets/ss appliances, typical HGTV look. Definitely doing some kind of white cabinets and butcher block countertops. I'll keep the ss appliances, one of the few trendy things I like.
It's all stressful and exciting at the same time. Picking out the color schemes is a pain in the ass. We are actually leaning towards blues/grays/whites.
Actually, a white kitchen is the current HGTV look so you'll be trendy after all! Dark cherry (which I have) is currently out of style, although of course it will be back in again in another few years.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:36 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
I'm rebellious and anti trend so my last house, when a cherry kitchen was mandatory, I went with white anyway. Love white kitchens. White really never goes out of favor, it does waver in popularity on and off, but yeah I am seeing white becoming more trendy recently.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,809 times
I'm tired of white kitchens that are put in thoughtlessly. Sometimes a white kitchen is a great choice! Sometimes not

But the way it is now, everyone and their mother is either putting in a white kitchen or painting their cabinets white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating