Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:19 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just looking at that makes my blood pressure go up. UGH. I can't stand anything about that kitchen. Wood, counters, weird floor that starts and stops for no reason, lighting, strange double island wrap around. Please make it stop.

Well, I will certainly agree with you on the floor, I prefer travertine throughout for a flooring choice.
But I was only talking about the upper cabinets, to be fair.
I hope you get what you want. It is always nice to come home after a long days work and look at something that is appealing to your particular taste, I will say that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:22 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Well, I will certainly agree with you on the floor, I prefer travertine throughout for a flooring choice.
But I was only talking about the upper cabinets, to be fair.
I hope you get what you want. It is always nice to come home after a long days work and look at something that is appealing to your particular taste, I will say that.
You are sweet to take some of the salt out of my rant. I just wish I understood why people think that looks good. Or what I am missing that it bothers me so much visually.

And yeah, the open plan start/stop floor thing drives me bananas. Its so strange. Just pick a floor and go with it.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
You are sweet to take some of the salt out of my rant. I just wish I understood why people think that looks good. Or what I am missing that it bothers me so much visually.

And yeah, the open plan start/stop floor thing drives me bananas. Its so strange. Just pick a floor and go with it.
I think you need to talk to a doctor and get some happy pills or something. The simple answer is that people's tastes are different. Some people prefer the look of cabinets with crown molding and the space above them, some don't. It is obvious that you don't, but for you to say that seeing other cabinets causes your "blood pressure to go up", it just silly. Could you imagine a world where everyone only liked the same things? The world would be a boring place.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,185 times
Quote:
I lived in a house built in 1919 and another in 1929. Both had cabinets that were original. Both went all the way to the ceiling. Lovely furniture style cabinets with thick doors and beautiful molding above.
ok? Mine doesnt.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 PM

993 posts, read 766,659 times
Quote:

I couldn't agree more with the stop/start floors. And I agree with you about short cabinets to a point. Some houses around here have 12' ceilings on the main level. The kitchens have tall cabinets to be sure, but not up to the ceiling.

We've been in this house 18 months. House is 65+ years. Our retirement home. The existing cabinets are medium cherry and custom made by a local, renowned cabinet maker. Very expensive, almost like artwork. I can't justify replacing them though I'd prefer painted cabinets. At least they go to the ceiling.

We have gorgeous old oak flooring throughout the home. Long planks of old wood. Our house was custom built. It's so nice to have the same flooring throughout the home.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
I stopped mine about 18 inches from the ceiling and put recessed lighting on top of them. I also have a switch that turns night lights on up there.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM

64 posts, read 61,523 times
Generally in older homes where the ceilings were traditionally only 8’ cabinetry would go up to the ceiling. Builders then started raising ceiling heights. He left cabinets where they were. For many that is a practical approach since anything above 8’ would be difficult to get to. Cost us another factor. Standard cabinets come 8’ - 9’ at top. Most people would rather spend the $4-6k a builder charges for the upgrade of a double stacked cabinet elsewhere. For example if $6k meant having all hardwood floors through out the home vs double stacked kitchen cabinets a smarter choice would be the wood floors for value on the home.

Personally I too don’t care for cabinetsthat don’t go to the ceilings. I call that space the dust collector and feel not only isn’t not visually appealing but a waste of good space.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:52 PM

3,267 posts, read 3,930,105 times
Quote:
Just looking at that makes my blood pressure go up. UGH. I can't stand anything about that kitchen. Wood, counters, weird floor that starts and stops for no reason, lighting, strange double island wrap around. Please make it stop.
1975 called, they want you back

Old 10-03-2017, 01:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
My cabinets are not short, my ceilings are high. 42 inch cabinets but 9 foot ceilings. I don't need or want cabinets that go up 9 feet high. I could have had stacked cabinets but I don't care for how they look and the upper cabinets would be basically inaccessible from a standard step stool. I didn't need cabinets that I had to use a ladder to get to.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Emotioo, this is the kitchen I have to put in for my wife, minus the floor. That's travertine, and this is what is called French Country Kitchen.
I guess as another poster mentioned, we each have different tastes. I love the kitchen Mrs. TD picked, thankfully our tastes often overlap.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating