Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
You are sweet to take some of the salt out of my rant. I just wish I understood why people think that looks good. Or what I am missing that it bothers me so much visually.

And yeah, the open plan start/stop floor thing drives me bananas. Its so strange. Just pick a floor and go with it.

I agree too, pick one floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I love this look, you see it a lot down here. Staggered uppers are really nice, imho.

I like them with the glass doors too. Looks very country French when done in whites/eggshell, even distressed.
Yeah I think that just looks odd.

I would not have cabinets that did not go to the ceiling.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:32 PM

41,990 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Wonderful display space! That's what I get when the cabinets don't meet the ceiling.

What's really a waste of space is a soffit above the kitchen cabinets. That I don't get at all, because 9 times out of 10 the soffit isn't hiding wires, pipes or ductwork. They're just there.

But then again I won't belittle someone when their kitchen has a soffit above the cabinets ...

Quote:
Just looking at that makes my blood pressure go up. UGH. I can't stand anything about that kitchen. Wood, counters, weird floor that starts and stops for no reason, lighting, strange double island wrap around. Please make it stop.
The floor "starts and stops" because it's the kitchen floor, and it stops when the kitchen ends, and starts where it begins. I should think that would be pretty danged obvious.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't apply that sentiment to this situation. There are some things that are just icky. Chain link fence. Wall to wall carpet. Short cabinets. I would be perfectly fine with everyone hating those things so I never had to look at them again.
Wow, I didn't realize the world revolved around any one person! I better get busy tearing out that new wall-to-wall carpet I just installed in the bedrooms so I don't offend ... And I'll let my neighbor know about the fence.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
OP,
you should seriously consider not looking at homes to purchase and have one built to your specifications.
Almost every thread you start is a rant about someone else's home which is really none of your concern what someone else likes or dislikes.
If the home is for sale and you do not like it then do not purchase it but you really should refrain from disparaging remarks about the home or owners of the home.
About 3/4 of what you think is acceptable I personally would not install in a dog house simply because I do not like it.

Honestly being with child one would think you would be more conscientious about your health and quit doing things that cause potential harm to your health and the child.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,336,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I love this look, you see it a lot down here. Staggered uppers are really nice, imho.

I like them with the glass doors too. Looks very country French when done in whites/eggshell, even distressed.

I don't know if I have mild OCD but those cabinets not being the same height would drive me crazy. My pervious house had the space at the top and I put a lot of greenery up there, including some hanging down where it didn't affect opening & closing the cabinet door. Go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and get some greenery.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP,
you should seriously consider not looking at homes to purchase and have one built to your specifications.
Almost every thread you start is a rant about someone else's home which is really none of your concern what someone else likes or dislikes.
If the home is for sale and you do not like it then do not purchase it but you really should refrain from disparaging remarks about the home or owners of the home.
About 3/4 of what you think is acceptable I personally would not install in a dog house simply because I do not like it.

Honestly being with child one would think you would be more conscientious about your health and quit doing things that cause potential harm to your health and the child.
Oh PULHEASE put me on your ignore list!

I have a design business as a side project and certain things just make my skin crawl. Sorry for being OCD about the way things look but its the way my brain is wired. You took this to a whole different level with "harming and unborn child." Dramatic much?

My home is not for sale. I like what I like. Check out the grey paint hater's thread for strong opinions about something as simple to change as paint color. I have equally strong opinions about what looks good in a kitchen. Just cruise around this forum for all kinds of fights over what looks good vs what doesn't. And as you saw fit to disparage what little you know of my taste, I will continue to vent about what I don't like about others. See how that works? Again, please put me on your ignore list if this so offends you.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know if I have mild OCD but those cabinets not being the same height would drive me crazy. My pervious house had the space at the top and I put a lot of greenery up there, including some hanging down where it didn't affect opening & closing the cabinet door. Go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and get some greenery.
Amen.

There are all kinds of things people do with short cabinets, some of it more successful than others.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree too, pick one floor.
Right? Just one. Any one. Quit trying to create a "kitchen" in an open plan with different flooring. The whole idea of open plan is flow and, well, openness. If you want a kitchen with a different floor, go for a more traditional layout.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
There are so many variations of so many floor plans and styles that I am loathe to say that I hate ANY design element because as soon as I say it, I'll see it in a place that it fits.

Except for carpeted bathrooms.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:45 AM

10,108 posts, read 6,452,713 times
Well, I'm not happy about my dropped kitchen cabinets either (the previous owners installed them as an "upgrade"), but they're at the bottom of my budget list of things to change about the house. I can't even reach the top shelves without a ladder anyway. Even if I did put new cabinets in, there would probably be some real adjustments needed since my 1927 ceilings have some slant to them. I try to look at the situation as a positive, since the space above the long run of cabinets provides a convenient place for the cats to jump off the refrigerator and run along the cabinets and hide if there are workmen in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating