Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Emotioo, this is the kitchen I have to put in for my wife, minus the floor. That's travertine, and this is what is called French Country Kitchen.
I guess as another poster mentioned, we each have different tastes. I love the kitchen Mrs. TD picked, thankfully our tastes often overlap.
I would have liked black granite counters better. Too much beige for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Emotioo, this is the kitchen I have to put in for my wife, minus the floor. That's travertine, and this is what is called French Country Kitchen.
I guess as another poster mentioned, we each have different tastes. I love the kitchen Mrs. TD picked, thankfully our tastes often overlap.
This kitchen is much better than the other. I do think it would be improved by having the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling but that is my opinion. Glad you are enjoying it!

Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I would have liked black granite counters better. Too much beige for me.
Actually Barb, she's picked a shade of light jade granite for all counter tops in there.

This isn't the exact piece, but the colors and veining color is right.

Thanks Emotioo

Old 10-03-2017, 03:11 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Personally I think this looks ugly and makes the kitchen feel very closed in. Good thing that we are all allowed to put what we like in our own kitchens and aren't limited to the specific tastes of one person.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Personally I think this looks ugly and makes the kitchen feel very closed in. Good thing that we are all allowed to put what we like in our own kitchens and aren't limited to the specific tastes of one person.
MY GOD!!.. my blood pressure just spiked through the roof looking at that picture. Please don't post any more, I might have diarrhea in my pants.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:47 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Quote:
I don't mind that kitchen but I don't think its great. I would be able to work with that MUCH more easily than all of the up/down/short/strange mixed cabinet sizes.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
You are sweet to take some of the salt out of my rant. I just wish I understood why people think that looks good. Or what I am missing that it bothers me so much visually.
I have 10" ceilings throughout my house and I prefer the look of dropped cabinets. Even with the space at the top, I have to use a stool to reach the stuff in the upper cabinets and I'm 5'8".

I think this is just a matter of personal taste - no right or wrong. As you can see, I enjoy decorating the tops of cabinets so there you have it. That being said, I'd be just as happy with cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling in some kitchen designs. It depends mostly on the kitchen itself to me.

Heck I just realized all the cabinets throughout my house are dropped. I like them that way.

To each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling-cabinet-tops-kitchen-1.jpg   Kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling-cabinet-tops-kitchen-2.jpg   Kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling-cabinet-top-powder-room.jpg   Kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling-cabinet-top-laundry-room.jpg   Kitchen cabinets that don't go to the ceiling-cabinet-top-office.jpg  

Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
1975 called, they want you back
Thanks for the visual. Now I can't get that old Burt Reynolds poster of him laying on the floor with his naked, hairy chest all up in everyone's face out of my head.

https://auntiefashion.wordpress.com/...burt-reynolds/

Old 10-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
OMG the humanity...the humanity...

Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 PM

64 posts, read 61,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Actually older homes tend to have higher ceilings...the standard was 9' not 8. My current house built in 1895 has 10 foot ceilings. We have managed to have lovely ceiling height cabinets as it was a priority in our renovation.
I wasn’t referring to historic aged homes. The majority of homes built in the 50’s-80’s 90’s had 8’ celiengs. 9’ became more streamlined starting int he 90’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating