Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:10 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
1975 called, they want you back
Time to get your eras correct. My ideal kitchen is circa 1920. I guess the 90s or early 2000s are looking for you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I think you need to talk to a doctor and get some happy pills or something. The simple answer is that people's tastes are different. Some people prefer the look of cabinets with crown molding and the space above them, some don't. It is obvious that you don't, but for you to say that seeing other cabinets causes your "blood pressure to go up", it just silly. Could you imagine a world where everyone only liked the same things? The world would be a boring place.
I'm sorry, but I can't apply that sentiment to this situation. There are some things that are just icky. Chain link fence. Wall to wall carpet. Short cabinets. I would be perfectly fine with everyone hating those things so I never had to look at them again.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM

524 posts, read 574,422 times
I like the look of to the ceiling cabinets with 8' ceilings, but like the openness on top with taller ceiling. I don't like the proportions of the uppers being taller than the lowers. I am also short, so I can't reach anything in a stacked cabinet without a ladder.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
Generally in older homes where the ceilings were traditionally only 8’ cabinetry would go up to the ceiling. Builders then started raising ceiling heights. He left cabinets where they were. For many that is a practical approach since anything above 8’ would be difficult to get to. Cost us another factor. Standard cabinets come 8’ - 9’ at top. Most people would rather spend the $4-6k a builder charges for the upgrade of a double stacked cabinet elsewhere. For example if $6k meant having all hardwood floors through out the home vs double stacked kitchen cabinets a smarter choice would be the wood floors for value on the home.

Personally I too don’t care for cabinetsthat don’t go to the ceilings. I call that space the dust collector and feel not only isn’t not visually appealing but a waste of good space.
Actually older homes tend to have higher ceilings...the standard was 9' not 8. My current house built in 1895 has 10 foot ceilings. We have managed to have lovely ceiling height cabinets as it was a priority in our renovation.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:15 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just looking at that makes my blood pressure go up.<>Please make it stop.
Easy to do. Are you sitting at your computer? Put your head between your legs. Reach around the back of your computer and press the button that says "OFF"
All better n . . . "Connection lost"

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Just looking at that makes my blood pressure go up. UGH. I can't stand anything about that kitchen. Wood, counters, weird floor that starts and stops for no reason, lighting, strange double island wrap around. Please make it stop.
Yes I totally agree. The hood is wood? And it goes to the ceiling but nothing else does? Just no. And two types of flooring. Another no.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:20 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Emotioo, this is the kitchen I have to put in for my wife, minus the floor. That's travertine, and this is what is called French Country Kitchen.
I guess as another poster mentioned, we each have different tastes. I love the kitchen Mrs. TD picked, thankfully our tastes often overlap.
That is beautiful!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Our ceilings are 9' and our cabinets are 42" with crown. And that's just fine by us. The space is not a big deal to us. In fact, having cabinets going all the way to the ceiling aren't attractive to me. In addition, even though I am taller than average, having to use a stepstool to reach the upper level is annoying. I already have to do that with our current cabinetry.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:28 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Our home has wood and tile side by side. Not uncommon and I find the "break up" in the flooring nice.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
So reading though all these posts makes me wonder if individuals have different taste??? Who would have thought that would be the case?

Personally I like kitchen cabinets both ways. Go figure? If the ceilings are 8 ft. I think they look great going all the way to the ceiling. If they are 10 foot, I like the crown molding to show above in the space where the cabinets stop.

Oh yes, they are dust collectors, but that's why they make vacuum cleaners with long hoses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating