Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:33 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, it probably is!!
It's really plastic, and I got it at Lowe's.
One thing about it, it never shows any dirt, grease, fingerprints or anything, and that works perfectly for me!!!!!
Ours is tin. One of the things we splurged on when we redid our kitchen. I get a lot of compliments on it and I LOVE it! Glad we splurged.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
I have multiple sets of dishes. Wedgwood Nantucket Basket for everyday, Wedgwood Medici for fine china, 12 dinner plates only of Johnson Brothers Harvest because I found it for $1 each at a yard sale, a ton of Spode Christmas Tree for the Holidays, a set of Melamine for the patio in summer and a lovingly collected set of 3 different patterns(18 total) of Johnson Brothers Turkey plates for just Thanksgiving. Excessive? Yep, but I love it all!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Gosh, I love dishes. I have already been through several "phases" and inheritances (and a divorce) and given away several sets of dishes, but I'm settled into what I love now. But I am always drawn to beautiful patterns and dishes. Please don't make me decide!

I've been collecting Polish pottery for decades and love it for every day wear and tear. WOW, it's tough.

For formal settings, I have two inherited sets. One is my MIL's Rosenthal Moss Rose set from Germany - I love it and it is beautiful at Christmas especially. Her young husband, my husband's dad, brought it back for her after being stationed there right after WW2. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually pretty valuable, as far as vintage china goes. I have a full 8 place settings plus quite a few serving pieces.

The other is my grandmother's Crown Potteries set, which she collected at the grocery store in New Orleans in the 1930s and 1940s - it's not valuable but it is very, very nostalgic to me since I was born in New Orleans and my dearest grandmother collected it there when she was a young bride. It has fleur de lis on it too, which is cool. I use it mostly in the spring and summer since it's more yellow and gold and aqua blue with pink touches. My gosh, I have tons of this - 12 place settings plus every serving dish you can imagine!

I was my grandmother's only granddaughter and my dad was her only child, and she and her mother both loved pretty china and other pieces such as Hull and Roseville stuff. So I inherited a ton of stuff from her and I love it. I did, however, give one of my daughter's her extensive collection of Fiesta Ware. I loved it too but I was already collecting Polish pottery which I adore. TOO MUCH! I also gave my oldest daughter the Noritake china that I collected for many years as a teen and then a young woman. It was in my "hope chest." It's very pretty and she seems to like it.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:23 AM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Gosh, I love dishes. I have already been through several "phases" and inheritances (and a divorce) and given away several sets of dishes, but I'm settled into what I love now. But I am always drawn to beautiful patterns and dishes. Please don't make me decide!

I've been collecting Polish pottery for decades and love it for every day wear and tear. WOW, it's tough.

For formal settings, I have two inherited sets. One is my MIL's Rosenthal Moss Rose set from Germany - I love it and it is beautiful at Christmas especially. Her young husband, my husband's dad, brought it back for her after being stationed there right after WW2. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually pretty valuable, as far as vintage china goes. I have a full 8 place settings plus quite a few serving pieces.

The other is my grandmother's Crown Potteries set, which she collected at the grocery store in New Orleans in the 1930s and 1940s - it's not valuable but it is very, very nostalgic to me since I was born in New Orleans and my dearest grandmother collected it there when she was a young bride. It has fleur de lis on it too, which is cool. I use it mostly in the spring and summer since it's more yellow and gold and aqua blue with pink touches. My gosh, I have tons of this - 12 place settings plus every serving dish you can imagine!

I was my grandmother's only granddaughter and my dad was her only child, and she and her mother both loved pretty china and other pieces such as Hull and Roseville stuff. So I inherited a ton of stuff from her and I love it. I did, however, give one of my daughter's her extensive collection of Fiesta Ware. I loved it too but I was already collecting Polish pottery which I adore. TOO MUCH! I also gave my oldest daughter the Noritake china that I collected for many years as a teen and then a young woman. It was in my "hope chest." It's very pretty and she seems to like it.

I just have one question though since you said you have inherited "old" dishes.
Are they microwaveable?

because, like I had stated, were taking my moms stuff, (as she passed this past February) and I know my sister had wanted the platters, the bigger dishes, not sure what they are called, but all of a sudden i thought, OMG, they must not be microwaveable, cause my Mom had these since she was married in 1957, and they have some sort of goldish rim thing around the edge, im thinking mettalic.
This couldnt be put into the micro? would it explode or anything

I have to remember to tell my sister that, hopefully she already knows, as us men are a little slow when it comes to stuff like that....

Old 04-07-2019, 04:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Are they microwaveable?

because, like I had stated, were taking my moms stuff, (as she passed this past February) and I know my sister had wanted the platters, the bigger dishes, not sure what they are called, but all of a sudden i thought, OMG, they must not be microwaveable, cause my Mom had these since she was married in 1957, and they have some sort of goldish rim thing around the edge, im thinking mettalic.

I have to remember to tell my sister that, hopefully she already knows, as us men are a little slow when it comes to stuff like that....
If there is metal trim on the china, they should not be microwaved, nor washed in the dishwasher.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:58 PM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If there is metal trim on the china, they should not be microwaved, nor washed in the dishwasher.

yes, I kinda thought any type of "rim" like that wouldnt be nukeable, and yes, lol, my sister did know this

I dont have a dish washer, (well, technically, I do, its called right hand and left hand)
so I never thought about that, im sure my sister knows.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Are they microwaveable?

No, the antique dishware is NOT microwavable and I also hand wash it! The Polish pottery is definitely microwavable, dishwasher safe, etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:10 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
I will get another set of dishes when I move to my retirement home otherwise I buy and use correlle when it is on sale . I love corning ware but way too costly even in the thrift stores .

Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
My R Doulton coniston pattern almost 50 years old , I use it once a year because needs hand washing , it’s not delicate china , but can’t go in dishwasher ..so I’ve been told ?
My everyday plates are plastic from Tuesday Morning .

Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I wouldn't put china with metal trim in the microwave because it's hazard, but I would put it in the dishwasher, like I do with my mom's wedding silver(plate) that I use for my everyday flatware. Yes, eventually the silverplate will wear off but I'll most likely be dead by then. And it's loved and used and enjoyed every single day instead of sitting in a box for decades, enjoyed by no one. I'd rather use it and wear it out than have it sit unused, to eventually be discarded by the next generation or the one after that who have no connection to it and it's just clutter to them.

I do have a set of my grandmother's china that is sitting in a box just like I've described, and I would use it except that I don't actually care for the pattern. My son is only 14, but when he's older and hopefully settling down with someone nice, I'll see if they want it, and I would be thrilled if they wanted to use it as their every day dishes when they set up their first household together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating