Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:02 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

i will check out this "fiesta ware" like all have stated. i should ask my mother, i told you i was dumb. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 08:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I'd suggest buying dishes at your local Dollar store. Just pick a color palette, so if one breaks, you can just go buy a plate at your local dollar store that will work.

For instance, Fiesta ware consists of several different colors. So, let's say your color palette is turquoise, orange, red, etc. One breaks, you go to the local dollar store and buy one that will fit into the color scheme you have.

Or, you have all white dishes, but they don't all match exactly. This is totally acceptable as "shabby chic."

I'd never spend the kind of money we spent on our wedding dishes ever again. Even good dishes will break, and what normally happens, is your taste changes before your "good" dishes break. So, it makes more sense to me to buy cheap dishes in a color scheme you like now, that you have no problem donating to Good Will when your tastes change.

And if your friends are so shallow that they care enough to lift up your plates to see if there is an impressive brand name on the bottom of the plate - and you care about their opinion - oh well. I guess then you'd be a slave to their opinions and will spend your money accordingly.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Someone will no doubt beat me to it, but it matters WHAT dishes are made OF. Earthenware with chip if you look at it. Bone china can be sturdy. Diner-type china such as Fiesta is heavy but durable. Stoneware may craze. Corelle can bounce off a vinyl floor with no damage.

If you 'ping' earthenware it sounds dry and hollow. China and Corelle are more musical. It pays to know the composition of your dinnerware.

This message was brought to you by the American Council of Certified Dish Fiends.
You are a dish expert.

Bone china can be strong--it's made partly of BONES. Corelle, in all the decades I've had it, it has mostly bounced when I dropped it. One time a plate shattered into large shards and once something else broke--but that's it for many decades of daily use.

My mother had LuRay that you could buy in the 1950s and it was always chipping. She finally went to plastic dishes.

I will not buy stoneware because it's heavy and you tend to drop it. Then it smashes or chips. I hate stoneware!

But china like Wedgwood, amazingly, is somewhat strong. Long ago I took a tour of the Wedgwood factory and you could watch them make it! The man who conducted the tour actually took a bowl and had someone stand on it to show that it didn't break. I think it would have broken if someone had dropped it. But it's not a fragile as it looks.

I'll still take Corelle for every day. Get it in the thrift store either a few pieces at a time or get an entire set. You'll have it forever.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:26 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'd suggest buying dishes at your local Dollar store. Just pick a color palette, so if one breaks, you can just go buy a plate at your local dollar store that will work.

For instance, Fiesta ware consists of several different colors. So, let's say your color palette is turquoise, orange, red, etc. One breaks, you go to the local dollar store and buy one that will fit into the color scheme you have.

Or, you have all white dishes, but they don't all match exactly. This is totally acceptable as "shabby chic."

I'd never spend the kind of money we spent on our wedding dishes ever again. Even good dishes will break, and what normally happens, is your taste changes before your "good" dishes break. So, it makes more sense to me to buy cheap dishes in a color scheme you like now, that you have no problem donating to Good Will when your tastes change.

And if your friends are so shallow that they care enough to lift up your plates to see if there is an impressive brand name on the bottom of the plate - and you care about their opinion - oh well. I guess then you'd be a slave to their opinions and will spend your money accordingly.

I lift plates...because I'm passionately interested in backstamps. I don't care what it costs, I just want to know who made it.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:34 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:

oh, im not worried about anything like that, as is anyone of my friends or family that comes over.(i like to think)

I always tell people, because this is what I believe:
When I go to someones house, I don't go there to grade them on "housekeeping" or "status", I'd like to think the same in reverse.

The name on the bottom of my dishes reads "Sango" don't know if that is good bad or whatever. Like I stated I got them at BBB and they were nice and matched, and the price was what I would spend on dishes. I do know that after I bought the second set of dishes (the ones I have now) within a short span, I do know I'm sick of buying dishes, so I'm learning to live with them.

Thank you for your knowledge, I really appreciate it.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Sango makes some NIIICE dishes!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
All I really need is a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I'll ever want to buy. Is that too much to ask?
I need a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I already have, plus the ones I want to buy.

A 20x20 butler's pantry ought to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Im a middle age man, and I dont know much about dishes, but te one thing I have noticed is that they dont seem to last well, having chips all over.
Aw, honey ... Corelle would probably suit you. Plain white or a simple pattern - or, if you want to get wild, try the square Corelle. You can probably get a service for 4 for less than $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Perhaps it is because we are all handling them more, putting them in and out of the dishwasher.
I think the dishwasher saves dishes - handwashing brings with it the thread of dropping the dish in the porcelain sink, or slamming it up against the faucet (not that I would know anything about that ... )/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
i will check out this "fiesta ware" like all have stated. i should ask my mother, i told you i was dumb. lol.
Fiesta is *heavy*. I have a ton of it - and it's probably a literal ton. It's pretty, and it's durable, and I love it, but it's heavy, it takes up a lot of space, and for the love of God, why don't the bowls stack more neatly?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My mother had LuRay that you could buy in the 1950s and it was always chipping.
I collect LuRay, and it is fragile. Not as fragile as other dinnerware lines - Stangl, for instance - but it chips and crazes easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I lift plates...because I'm passionately interested in backstamps. I don't care what it costs, I just want to know who made it.
I'm a plate flipper, too - somewhere I have one of these:

Old 09-29-2018, 10:48 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
ding ding ding.... We have a winner!!!!

Quote:
paper plates
If my dishes were gone and I had to start all over, I'd use paper plates. I have never totally relied on paper plates myself, but I think that's a great idea and perfect for me since I am just cooking for one. There are some really good paper plates these days that are sturdy and not too ugly.

Just think! No more dishes to wash, no more dish soap or dishwasher detergent to buy. I'm sold.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I need a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I already have, plus the ones I want to buy.

A 20x20 butler's pantry ought to do.

Aw, honey ... Corelle would probably suit you. Plain white or a simple pattern - or, if you want to get wild, try the square Corelle. You can probably get a service for 4 for less than $50.

I think the dishwasher saves dishes - handwashing brings with it the thread of dropping the dish in the porcelain sink, or slamming it up against the faucet (not that I would know anything about that ... )/

Fiesta is *heavy*. I have a ton of it - and it's probably a literal ton. It's pretty, and it's durable, and I love it, but it's heavy, it takes up a lot of space, and for the love of God, why don't the bowls stack more neatly?!?

I collect LuRay, and it is fragile. Not as fragile as other dinnerware lines - Stangl, for instance - but it chips and crazes easily.

I'm a plate flipper, too - somewhere I have one of these:
I was once a member of the regular HLC.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I love Corelle. My problem is that I can't decide on what pattern because they make so many pretty ones. I do have a set that I use for guests. How I decided on that pattern was the fact that they had a 15-seat set of them including serving bowls & platters at an auction and I got it all for $5. Now, I'm trying to find a few pieces (I needed a bit more than 15). The pattern is so rare it is hard to find.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating