Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you could throw out all your old dishes and start fresh, what would you pick?

I've been looking for years and haven't found it yet

I hope you get yours

This is what I have now. I have simple tastes and I love Corelle. I just wish they had more patterns that I liked.
https://www.microwavecookingforone.c...llePewter.html

Last edited by ylisa7; 09-24-2018 at 05:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I've been looking for years and haven't found it yet

I hope you get yours

This is what I have now. I have simple tastes and I love Corelle. I just wish they had more patterns that I liked.
https://www.microwavecookingforone.c...llePewter.html
As for Corelle, if I see it, I grab it. I can always donate it later if the pattern bothers me.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I’m surprised how so many love corelle. It’s not microwaveable, is it? I don’t like the sound or feel of it.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
I’m surprised how so many love corelle. It’s not microwaveable, is it? I don’t like the sound or feel of it.
Micro-bility is one of Corelle's many strengths.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:

It is. I like it because I am not gentle on things. They have slipped out of my hands and hit the counters and floors before. No chips or breaks. I am the bull in a china shop, lol. I fear china and chipping.

Corelle goes back to my long time saying about practical and pretty. Many pretty things are just not practical and many practical things aren't always very pretty.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
OH, WAIT a minute! When you all said Corelle, my brain was thinking of Melamine.

In the words of Emily Littella, never mind.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I've had Pfaltzgraff white Gazebo dishes for about 30 years. I started off with a set of 8. About 15 years later I found another set of 8 at a church barn sale. I've replaced some of the cereal bowls with ebay purchases over the years as the pattern is now discontinued. The coffee cups and saucers still look brand new

Once in awhile I think about replacing them, but I'd probably stick with white because of it's versatility. Someone, don't recall who it was, once posted some pictures of her Polish stoneware. I loved it so might consider that. The colors and patterns are beautiful.

Our first dishes were Corelle--white with a rust colored strip and cups. I gave them to my brother when he needed a set for an apartment. I should have kept them. Years later I ended up buying the same dishes in blue for my son at a different barn sale. He's used them for about 6/7 years now.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I neglected to mention that I have an embarrassingly large set of Portmeirion Botanic Garden. It seems so passe now that I rarely use most of it including the teapots in various sizes. I do have one large vase that sees some use.

We went to the UK a number of times on cruises and I always bought some there to bring home with me. Then friends started gifting me with it.

In case there's one person left in the world who's never seen this pattern:

https://www.portmeirion.com/collecti...ic-garden.html

All I really need is a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I'll ever want to buy. Is that too much to ask?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I neglected to mention that I have an embarrassingly large set of Portmeirion Botanic Garden. It seems so passe now that I rarely use most of it including the teapots in various sizes. I do have one large vase that sees some use.

We went to the UK a number of times on cruises and I always bought some there to bring home with me. Then friends started gifting me with it.

In case there's one person left in the world who's never seen this pattern:

https://www.portmeirion.com/collecti...ic-garden.html

All I really need is a house big enough to store every dinnerware set I'll ever want to buy. Is that too much to ask?
oh, don't say it like that, I love that pattern! I have a local family member who has it and I am always so happy to see which plate I get when we are at her home for a meal. (and yes, I've been known to sneak into the dining room before dinner and swap mine out so I get one of the ones I like best. lol!)

I will concede that I would not have selected it as my daily pattern, I need something less busy for that, but if I had room for extras to use for fun, that would definitely be on the list!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Quote:
I have had the same dishes for at least 20 years. Blue and white Blue Willow. I mix it with white ironstone. It’s classic and available, and when I needed to replace a few pieces it was easily done. Now I’m needing some replacements and I’ve decided to switch to something new.

I saw a pattern I like in the latest Home Decorators catalog and unless I find something I like more, I’ll ask Santa for it. Of course, I’ll want to see it and feel it in person first. Some China looks and feels cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/collection...rware/id-32836

If you could throw out all your old dishes and start fresh, what would you pick?

I have this set in our vacation home, I picked it up for about $30 total in Marshall's. The plates have quite a deep rim so make cutting food up a little challenging but otherwise I like it.

My everyday and posh dishes are Ikea, I have a mixture of patterned and plain plates, bowls and side plates. They are cheap and cheerful but I like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating