Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 02:01 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,782,302 times

Advertisements

I think I'd want to get all new soft goods like the mattress, sofa, and any upholstered chairs. I'd be worried about the risk of bedbugs if they came from unknown origins/free sources. I'd go with inexpensive sources for hard goods, like the bed frame, tables, hard chairs. Other items like kitchen utensils, bedding, bath appointments, and that sort of thing could come from places like the dollar stores or Walmart.

This whole project sounds like fun to me. Enjoy yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
Is there a Habitat for Humanity location near you? I would buy all there except mattresses. I want my mattress new.

I have also used Wayfair. Look them over.

Last edited by johngolf; 01-01-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 03:20 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Think about how you will get this stuff home. Parking out front? Are you even going to have a car in the city or use public transportation? Elevator or walk-up? Do you have someone to help you? Then decide if you need to buy from a place that delivers for free or budget for a company. You don't want to carry a bed and recliner up 5 flights of stairs by yourself.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm furnishing a brand new house for less than $10k. Since you're only part time, hit Ikea (or other inexpensive place) for the things you aren't that particular about. Why waste the money?
Thanks for the input! Ikea sounds like a great, if not overwhelming option! I will be alone, so if I want company, I will have to pay a helper to go with me.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
IKEA beds are not bad and are pretty cheap. I bought one I used for a year. I think I saw a recent consumer reports that actually gave an IKEA mattress the highest rating over expensive mattresses.

I actually have a Tillary sofa from west elm. It is a twin bed once you remove the cushions and is fairly comfortable. I have slept in mine for a few weeks. It has modular/movable cushions and is under $1k. I have another friend who has a day bed, which could also work.
I had forgotten about day beds. That could be a good solution. I don't really like to see a bed in a living space, but I know I would be able to figure something cool out (with screens or whatever). I have never been to an Ikea store and wouldn't have thought of them for a bed, so thanks.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Unless you expect to have a lot of guests, I would just get the bed and recliner, with a small dining table with comfortable chairs. If you have guests, they can pull out the dining chairs.

This will get you by for awhile.
That's a good solution, depending upon the space. Some of these apartments are unbelievably tiny.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I would buy the basics that you actually need at first. Give yourself time to settle in.
Initially, I will be arriving from a long flight with nothing. I have to figure out how to sleep the first night (get some kind of blow up bed, bedding, etc., and then go shopping the next day).

Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Check FB Marketplace and Craigslist--that's how I furnished most of my apartment. There are also phone apps like iOffer you can check out.

Also, don't dismiss discount stores like Walmart and Target online. I picked up a Better Homes & Gardens TV stand and end tables from FB Marketplace, and then was able to purchase matching book cases from Walmart. They shipped free so I didn't have to arrange for delivery. My friend and I spent an evening putting the book cases together--it was a snap!
FB Marketplace sounds good, but I am not sure of safety - never lived in a big city before.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is good advice. You must have a bed. It sounds as if you must have a recliner. You need a table and chair or chairs to eat. Start with those. Ikea is your friend. For the recliner, I might recommend buying used except for the fact that you need to haul it up to your place. If this is a factor, I think you might have to buy from dealer who delivers.

If you lucked into a used Scandinavian style recliner and stool, you might be able to haul those two pieces, depending on your vehicle. I think I’d splurge on the recliner, frankly, especially since you could get a decent Ikea bed.
Haha . . . my hauling days are over - especially in NYC!

Ikea seems to be the place!

Old 01-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Freecycle.
Take from the curbside.
Haha . . . bag lady style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating