Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Facebook Marketplace for non-upholstered stuff. If you end up with a studio, a futon might be a good option.

If you want one good piece of furniture, like a sofa, Crate and Barrel has some small room options. I think Room & Board and some other stores do as well.

NYC has some great weekly flea markets as well. The one I am the most familiar with is on Sundays, Columbus and W. 77th. (assuming it is still in existence). But there are a number of them around.
Thank you. I will save this and refer to it when I get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Is there a Habitat for Humanity location near you? I would buy all there except mattresses. I want my mattress new.

I have also used Wayfair. Look them over.
I like Wayfair. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Think about how you will get this stuff home. Parking out front? Are you even going to have a car in the city or use public transportation? Elevator or walk-up? Do you have someone to help you? Then decide if you need to buy from a place that delivers for free or budget for a company. You don't want to carry a bed and recliner up 5 flights of stairs by yourself.
Haha! No, I will have no vehicle - and I don't have anyone to help yet.

Has to be delivery! I will have a problem lugging groceries home, let alone a bed!

Old 01-01-2020, 07:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Has to be delivery! I will have a problem lugging groceries home, let alone a bed!
Maybe try out a month first?

Also, have you thought out how the rent will be paid? NYC LLs are notoriously tough on having 40x+ in current income and if retired it's a whole other PITA.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
A friend recently moved to Paris (another very expensive city) and furnished her entire apartment (bed/sofa, dresser, table, chairs, towels, bedding, cooking supplies, lamps, scale, etc.) for well under $1,000.

Some of the things were used from a thrift shop, some were used from the French version of Craigslist, some were new from IKEA, some were new from other stores. Since the apartment is so small she only needed a few towels, one set of sheets, limited cooking supplies and I believe, only two place settings of dishes, glasses & silverware. She said that some people get by with only one place setting but she wanted another one in case someone stayed overnight.

Of course, if she had more money she could have bought more expensive things and more new things but she was on a very tight budget.

BTW, some of the used things were carried by her (on foot/bus/metro) to her apartment, other were transported with her by using an Uber and, I believe, IKEA delivered.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-01-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-01-2020, 08:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

You can get groceries delivered.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:34 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can get groceries delivered.
Or you can get one of those folding carts. I used to use one in NYC. Works for laundry too.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:00 PM

475 posts, read 318,637 times
Take two suitcases with you on the flight for things you'll need the first night...

A single layer twin size air mattress will fit in a suitcase. Throw in some sheets, blanket, a bath and hand towel, a washcloth, a roll of toilet paper and whatever other small things you'll need the first few days. Use the other one for clothes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating