Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am focused on Manhattan. The whole appeal is walkability!
I don't know if it's that much of a secret but we walk in other boroughs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Default I Need Help to Furnish NYC Studio Cheaply

I am thinking of renting a Pied a Terre studio apartment in NYC.

NYC rentals are super expensive, and this will be a huge splurge.

I was thinking of maybe just getting AirBnbs for a couple of months at a time, but the furnished AirBnb apartments are more expensive than renting an unfurnished apartment for a year at a time (even though I won't stay there all year).

So if I'm going to rent an unfurnished apartment, I have to keep furnishing expenses low because I don't know if I will do this for years on end or just one year.

I will need:

* Bed (if price was no issue would get a Murphy bed, but probably not the cheapest for my needs
* Recliner (I'm old and LOVE my recliner - it's mandatory)
* Couch (is there an affordable, comfy sofa sleeper)?
* Coffee table
* Chairs for guests

And then all of the kitchen stuff (which can add up)!!!

What kind of budget should I have for furnishings? $10k, $15k?

Or get just some key pieces and then everything else from thrift stores (which is what I'm thinking).

I need help!

Old 01-01-2020, 01:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
I'm furnishing a brand new house for less than $10k. Since you're only part time, hit Ikea (or other inexpensive place) for the things you aren't that particular about. Why waste the money?

Old 01-01-2020, 04:57 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
IKEA beds are not bad and are pretty cheap. I bought one I used for a year. I think I saw a recent consumer reports that actually gave an IKEA mattress the highest rating over expensive mattresses.

I actually have a Tillary sofa from west elm. It is a twin bed once you remove the cushions and is fairly comfortable. I have slept in mine for a few weeks. It has modular/movable cushions and is under $1k. I have another friend who has a day bed, which could also work.

Old 01-01-2020, 05:42 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Unless you expect to have a lot of guests, I would just get the bed and recliner, with a small dining table with comfortable chairs. If you have guests, they can pull out the dining chairs.

This will get you by for awhile.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:18 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,861 times
I would buy the basics that you actually need at first. Give yourself time to settle in.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:09 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,893 times
Check FB Marketplace and Craigslist--that's how I furnished most of my apartment. There are also phone apps like iOffer you can check out.

Also, don't dismiss discount stores like Walmart and Target online. I picked up a Better Homes & Gardens TV stand and end tables from FB Marketplace, and then was able to purchase matching book cases from Walmart. They shipped free so I didn't have to arrange for delivery. My friend and I spent an evening putting the book cases together--it was a snap!

Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Unless you expect to have a lot of guests, I would just get the bed and recliner, with a small dining table with comfortable chairs. If you have guests, they can pull out the dining chairs.

This will get you by for awhile.
This is good advice. You must have a bed. It sounds as if you must have a recliner. You need a table and chair or chairs to eat. Start with those. Ikea is your friend. For the recliner, I might recommend buying used except for the fact that you need to haul it up to your place. If this is a factor, I think you might have to buy from dealer who delivers.

If you lucked into a used Scandinavian style recliner and stool, you might be able to haul those two pieces, depending on your vehicle. I think I’d splurge on the recliner, frankly, especially since you could get a decent Ikea bed.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:53 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Freecycle.
Take from the curbside.

Old 01-01-2020, 01:02 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Facebook Marketplace for non-upholstered stuff. If you end up with a studio, a futon might be a good option.

If you want one good piece of furniture, like a sofa, Crate and Barrel has some small room options. I think Room & Board and some other stores do as well.

NYC has some great weekly flea markets as well. The one I am the most familiar with is on Sundays, Columbus and W. 77th. (assuming it is still in existence). But there are a number of them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating