Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:52 PM

8,157 posts, read 8,383,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
You could completely eliminate hotel expenses once you close on your apartment. Everyday household essentials and food will be easily accessible to you once you're there. I recommend something like this to sleep on. Incredibly comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Elevate...SIN=B07F39F6XR
I bought this exact air mattress to stage a condo I had for sale just to show room dimensions. Then, my adult son decided to sleep there on it one night just to be in the city. He brought along a memory foam mattress pad (you can buy at any discount store) and said it was wonderfully comfortable with the pad on top of the air bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:21 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,634 times
Great info being shared here. That phillipsclub.com looks very intriguing. It looks like pricing can only be gotten by calling. I just might because I am so curious as to the cost for a short term stay like a few nights.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,372,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Co-ops are notoriously difficult to sell. Another poster mentioned the difficulty and unique horror (that's the only thing that comes to mind) of NYC co-op boards. Even if money is totally not an issue for the OP, you can be turned down by a co-op board.

That is highly dependent on the coop.

OP, are you aiming to be in Manhattan or are you willing to look at other boroughs? I think it's a good idea to expand your search. Personally, I prefer to be outside of it, Brooklyn or Queens, if I was going to be staying there long-term/regularly.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,672,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Are you familiar with this? https://phillipsclub.com/

I don't know anything about resale or maintenance costs, but we once stayed there for a few nights. It was just lovely. Great location, right near Lincoln Center. Beautifully furnished, and the service was outstanding.

Just another option that might be worth considering, since you don't plan to be in town year-round.

More info: https://kahnerrealestate.com/frequen...phillips-club/
Very interesting! Looks pricey, though!!!

Thanks for sharing this.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I bought this exact air mattress to stage a condo I had for sale just to show room dimensions. Then, my adult son decided to sleep there on it one night just to be in the city. He brought along a memory foam mattress pad (you can buy at any discount store) and said it was wonderfully comfortable with the pad on top of the air bed.
Good idea, re: the memory foam! It makes a huge difference.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That is highly dependent on the coop.

OP, are you aiming to be in Manhattan or are you willing to look at other boroughs? I think it's a good idea to expand your search. Personally, I prefer to be outside of it, Brooklyn or Queens, if I was going to be staying there long-term/regularly.
I am focused on Manhattan. The whole appeal is walkability!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:33 PM

5,525 posts, read 8,791,723 times
OP can easily find a hotel room or bandb in the city or within an easy commute of the city for less than $300 per night.

I'd start by looking at the Ys in NYC, which can be booked for ~$700 per week, last I heard, then look at places in Long Island City, Uptown Manhattan (Harlem and the Heights), Seacaucus in NJ, Brooklyn, etc. -- and make sure the place is near a PATH line (in NJ) or NYC subway line, because both run 24/7.

But it should not take a week to get set up if you plan it out. Lots of good advice has been offered here. Still, realize that any decent lodging in metro NYC will be much more expensive during peak times like around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Also, the farther you can book ahead, the better deals you can find.

Only necessity that might take some time is getting cable and internet (if the bldng does not offer it, as some do). This can be a royal PITA and depending on who you use you might be waiting hours--even days. So be prepared for that.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:12 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha. The first time I heard the term was years ago.

There was this woman a couple of towns over when I was young who was featured in the local paper, a widow with five kids who wrote a novel at her kitchen table before the kids got up, and it became a best-seller. Her name was Mary Higgins Clark.

Several years later she was interviewed again, of course by then very well-known, but now she lived in a much more affluent town in the area and kept a pied-a-terre on Central Park in the city.
How interesting. I’ve read quite a few of her books over the years. Yes Central Park would be awesome. I didn’t know that’s how she got started.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:43 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,865,358 times
I would suggest a bed-in-a-box type foam mattress rather than an air mattress. You can schedule delivery for whatever day you want it and use it on the floor at first and then in the Murphy bed if that's what you end up with. It will be a lot lighter and easier to handle than a standard mattress.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am focused on Manhattan. The whole appeal is walkability!
Perhaps you're under the misperception that no neighborhoods beyond Manhattan have very high walkability:

https://www.walkscore.com/apartments/search/NY/New_York

If you click on an apartment in a location you're open to, you can also get a "transit score" - if you'll consider public transportation as an option to only walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating