Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 12:26 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,460,343 times

Advertisements

It looks like you will be furnishing your new place from a distance. May I suggest -- assuming you don't already have -- an Amazon Prime membership? For $100/year you can have everything delivered free right to your doorstep! Beats running all over town to find furnishings, sheets, towels, dishes, etc. I would do this before hitting thrift shops. You can get some great deals there, I shop thrifts frequently. However, you don't have the items you need when you need them, its more a hit-or-miss, and you must provide delivery.

Once you have the basics set up, then shop thrifts for accessories, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 12:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Coop boards also worry that if you run in to financial worries you will stop paying on the second home first. You are correct that they also don’t want you lending the apartment to family and friends as they don’t want strangers in the hallways, even nice strangers. I have heard a request for one years maintenance up front for this concern.

If it were me, I’d rent. There’s some good rental deals right now with all the new buildings and studios are the least desirable.
The thing about renting is wasting the money that I won't be able to recoup in any way.

A $3k rental = $42k per year - that's a lot of money to just throw away.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
It looks like you will be furnishing your new place from a distance. May I suggest -- assuming you don't already have -- an Amazon Prime membership? For $100/year you can have everything delivered free right to your doorstep! Beats running all over town to find furnishings, sheets, towels, dishes, etc. I would do this before hitting thrift shops. You can get some great deals there, I shop thrifts frequently. However, you don't have the items you need when you need them, its more a hit-or-miss, and you must provide delivery.

Once you have the basics set up, then shop thrifts for accessories, etc.
Thank you.

I still have to learn how NYC buildings handle deliveries . . . if you are not there, what happens to your stuff?

And does Amazon deliver directly to your apartment, or just to the building? Do they leave packages in the hallways? I have a lot to learn about living in a building.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 309,037 times
If your building has a doorman, he will most likely accept and hold a package for you. Amazon has this new thing called Locker - actual lockers at some location nearby - where you can have your package shipped. They will hold it there for three days. I don't know if they have them in Manhattan yet, but you can check online by searching "Amazon Locker" and then checking for locations.

By the way, I don't know what your situation or preferences are, but I just wanted to recommend some neighborhoods right over the 59th Street bridge on the Queens side. Sunnyside, Long Island City (not to be confused with Long Island proper), Astoria and a few other neighborhoods a little farther up Queens Boulevard get you into midtown Manhattan quickly. It's something to consider/explore if you find yourself needing to expand your choices.

Old 10-06-2019, 02:17 PM

24,149 posts, read 32,644,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had a lot of friends who worked on Wall Street and did the same thing. We entertained a lot a traveling back home to get up for work the next day got to be a hassle. So they bought an apartment and went home weekends. Sounded like a great idea on paper. The taxes and costs on the buildings went up and up and before you know it they had apartments that were not only pricey but difficult to sell. Yes, there is indeed a person looking for a cheap PAT all the time, however, there are more buildings being taken over by developers than ever before and that is driving the market. You would be far better off to get an apartment in Queens and commute a few minutes. Long Island City is gorgeous and booming right now, but they are also with nice price tags.

https://www.brickunderground.com/buy...e-bricktionary
More good ideas.

Co-ops are notoriously difficult to sell. Another poster mentioned the difficulty and unique horror (that's the only thing that comes to mind) of NYC co-op boards. Even if money is totally not an issue for the OP, you can be turned down by a co-op board.

I know someone who offered full price for a co-op in the East Village and was initially turned down because he was a Rock musician. This was in the East Village. He finally got the apartment but he went through hell first.

I second a place in Queens. There are many diverse neighborhoods. Brooklyn would be another option.

I'm originally from Long Island, and if you like ocean beaches, you will enjoy it. My main issue with LI is getting into "the city". It can be a major PITA.

Really, I'd try the long term hotel idea first.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:10 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,336,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
Very easy. It has a built-in pump with a plug tucked inside a little compartment on the side of the bed. Just plug it in to an outlet, and it inflates in a few minutes.
If the OP would have a chance to pre-arrange an account with the electric company and the electricity is available on the day of the arrival from the airport...

Old 10-06-2019, 03:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,164,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
If the OP would have a chance to pre-arrange an account with the electric company and the electricity is available on the day of the arrival from the airport...
Which is all entirely possible.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:17 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,816,382 times
Errr, a lot of people in NYC don't even cook! I recall my sister, as a young professional living in Manhattan, never had more than a bottle of seltzer in her fridge. Lots of take-out. You shouldn't have to stay even a single night in a hotel.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,581,542 times
I have a friend in Queens who takes the elevated subway into Manhattan each day to work. She doesn’t even own a car and hasn’t for years. I’ve gone with her and the commute is quite efficient.

Regarding a bed, one of these bed-in-a-box companies will ship right to your door. Often these beds need a solid foundation. The floor would work for a while.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,266,574 times
Are you familiar with this? https://phillipsclub.com/

I don't know anything about resale or maintenance costs, but we once stayed there for a few nights. It was just lovely. Great location, right near Lincoln Center. Beautifully furnished, and the service was outstanding.

Just another option that might be worth considering, since you don't plan to be in town year-round.

More info: https://kahnerrealestate.com/frequen...phillips-club/

Last edited by Pocopsonite; 10-06-2019 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Add another link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating