Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,845 times

Advertisements

A friend's 30-yr old daughter is moving from PA to CA for a new job. Since most things are more expensive in CA, she was curious of her financial options & wanted to make a smart choice:

1. She can buy a new Honda in PA where the sticker price is about $4K less, pack it with her belongings & make her way out to CA. Or...

2. She can buy her car in CA once she arrives & in the meantime have her belongings (clothing/books only) shipped to CA.

When she began figuring out plane costs to relocate (more pricey as she's in the middle of nowhere & her trip requires that she switch carriers & take a puddle jumper to a major airport), a car rental once she arrives until she buys & the $1K it will cost to UPS all her boxes, she began thinking that it wouldn't be much more financially to purchase in PA & drive. She's been fairly stationary for most of her life, so really wouldn't mind the cross-country trek & it will allow her to fit in some heavier items (pots, pans, sewing machine) she'd have left behind.

Her problem is not knowing if her car would only be under warranty with the PA Honda dealership or because it's a Honda would it be honored at any Honda dealership across the country?

Thanks very much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
All new-car warranties sold with the car are through the car manufacturer, not the dealer. Some dealerships like to say that it's through them so they can keep you fear-stricken and spend money that need not be spent. In reality, that car will be covered by Honda's warranty coverage at any dealer in the 50 states.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
As stated the warranty is MFG, it's valid at any dealership in the country.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
All new-car warranties sold with the car are through the car manufacturer, not the dealer. Some dealerships like to say that it's through them so they can keep you fear-stricken and spend money that need not be spent. In reality, that car will be covered by Honda's warranty coverage at any dealer in the 50 states.
RoseCity... Thank you so much for the info & for such a quick response. I've already called my friend. Her daughter is thrilled. I think she was looking forward to the coast to coast drive.

Thank you Dave, as well. It's great when those who know also share...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
She needs to consider that many;including califrnia now has I understand it charge a higher registration on 48 state certified emisson vehicles. California certfication on emiison is different.California is also pretty strict on enforcing the resident registration on cars brought in registred in another state.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
RoseCity... Thank you so much for the info & for such a quick response. I've already called my friend. Her daughter is thrilled. I think she was looking forward to the coast to coast drive.
My pleasure.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
If she purchases an extended warranty, make sure it's through Honda, not an aftermarket company, if she is planning on moving.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
She can have a major problem trying to register the car in California, though, with a new vehicle. If it has less than 7500 miles on it when purchased, it's considered new. Someone relocating has to have the vehicle registered in their home state, and provide proof of registration to California, to get a 49-state car registered. So, she is better off buying the car as long as possible before her move, to have the car titled, registered, and on permanent plates before relocating to California with it.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State—Be Sure You Can Register It in California (FFVR 29)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
She can have a major problem trying to register the car in California, though, with a new vehicle. If it has less than 7500 miles on it when purchased, it's considered new. Someone relocating has to have the vehicle registered in their home state, and provide proof of registration to California, to get a 49-state car registered. So, she is better off buying the car as long as possible before her move, to have the car titled, registered, and on permanent plates before relocating to California with it.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of Stateā€”Be Sure You Can Register It in California (FFVR 29)
Wow! None of us were aware of this, so thank you so much for the info & especially the link... very helpful. I suppose she could rent the Honda she wishes to purchase & drive it to CA, although it only adds to her expenses. But, it does allow her to drive cross-country since she seems keen on it. Additionally, it would give her a good feel for the car before buying.

I'll send her your link... this may change her mind & prompt her to buy once she reaches CA, just for less hassle. The poor girl has been ill much of her life & it appears she has rebounded quite nicely over the past 2-yrs. She's ready to finally enjoy her life & doesn't need the stress of problems with registration on her brand new vehicle once she hits the border of CA.

Tex & GetMe, thank you both, as well. I appreciate the help very much... all your info will make it far easier for her to make a sound decision.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I just hope she has the adventure of her life thus far with that trip;sounds like she needs a break.I also agree in buying the manufactuers Honda extended warranty .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura