Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

Good morning. It's time for another chapter in our story. I am trying not to overload everyone with pictures so I am taking it slow.

At the time of todays story we were still working on the other house so we haven't gone full blown crazy yet

Lets go back to December 8. Mike and I are almost done with the other house. We have a few more weeks before the carpet goes in there and then we need to move over here. So first things first. The water heater in this house is no good...so we need to replace it. Mike does such a nice job of this

He starts out by disconnecting the old water heater.

Using the cut off wheel to cut the old water pipes.

After that we took the old water heater out and I cleaned up the floor and the walls. Then we put the new pan in and the new water heater in the pan.

Mike putting the thread tape on to protect the new water lines from dripping.

Adding the new flexible water lines. The flexible lines make it so easy.

Mike hooking up the electric and he is done The new water heater is in.

We should really get back to the other house to work but we just can't resist a little demo work. We have big plans for this house because of it's location. The biggest thing we want to do is make sure you see the water view when you open the from door. That means we have to take down walls and move rooms.

This is the floor plan for the house when we bought it. This is not to scale but it will show you what it was like.

The whole kitchen needs to go Some of our contractors have taken the stuff they wanted. Mike and I already took the cabinet doors off the cabinets in the kitchen. Time to tear out a kitchen

The view from the front door....those walls have to go.

The dining area that also has to go.

Oh yeah..and the den which has to go

Mike and his trusty ax....I always call it the sledgehammer Say good bye to the old rotted cabinets

While Mike goes crazy with the sledgehammer I clean up behind him. Yeah...that seems to be the story of my life, lol. He gets to have all the fun while I clean it up

We get all of the cabinets out and thrown into our garbage pile in the garage. Time to bust out some walls

Mike starting on the first kitchen wall.

And he is through.

Now we can work on the other side and tear off the sheet rock.

Time for the back wall of the kitchen.

Just breaking through.

The sheetrock is coming down.

Ooh....look...I see a view from the front door

That's two walls almost down. Time for the last wall in the kitchen.

Almost clear

And that's how fast we can make a mess

Me cleaning up.

While Mike was busy at one point I went around to see what I could do.

This is the master bedroom. We have already gotten the carpet out and we will need to prep it very soon to move into. Here I am using a shovel, hey we don't have our tools here yet lol, to get the tack strip off the floor.

And the next day....I pulled the "planter" out of the bathroom.

Next week's story will be about us getting ready to move over to this house and doing some more work. I hope you all enjoyed this story. Have a wonderful week.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I used to have that same wallpaper in my bathroom .

Looking forward to another story!!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Oh Lisa you and Mike work so well together! I am very shocked that the orignial floor plan is like that, it would seem to me that the view of the water should be "house wide", well almost minus the one bedroom.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Yes....the view went from nice to breathtaking.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Adding the new flexible water lines. The flexible lines make it so easy.
Forgive my stupidity, but I noticed he cut off the pipes with the shutoff values. While the flex tubing is nice, there no way to shut off the water to service the water heater without shutting off the main water supply. I'm no plumbing expert, but is that legal to have no water shutoff at the water heater?

Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM

Hi all.

I will get back to everyone as soon as I can. I made a change to my Photobucket account and lost all the pictures from the first 2 stories. I have to re post and Ultrarunner is being so kind and fixing my goof.

Thank you for your patience

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I used to have that same wallpaper in my bathroom .
Looking forward to another story!!
It was "in" at one time I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Oh Lisa you and Mike work so well together! I am very shocked that the orignial floor plan is like that, it would seem to me that the view of the water should be "house wide", well almost minus the one bedroom.
A lot of the houses there have blocked views of the water. Back in the 70's the stele was a living room, formal living rooms, and dining rooms. I'd much rather have the view and not so man boxy rooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes....the view went from nice to breathtaking.
I love that view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Forgive my stupidity, but I noticed he cut off the pipes with the shutoff values. While the flex tubing is nice, there no way to shut off the water to service the water heater without shutting off the main water supply. I'm no plumbing expert, but is that legal to have no water shutoff at the water heater?
Good observation.
The main water supply for the house is right next to the water heater.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:25 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Hi Lisa! Sorry I missed the first couple weeks of this story as I just stumbled upon it. This looks like a fun project for you and Mike. Can't wait to see the rest of the story!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I'm eager to see where the kitchen is going.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Lisa... you and Mike take on some great projects and document them well.

Always look forward to your posts and future chapters...

How important is the Motor home in supporting your flip house lifestyle?

Also... do you use it to get around and haul materials/tools for your projects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House