Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Here is what the mattress manufacturer SLEEP INNOVATIONS claims about the foam mattress I bought--I am so sick and tired of hearing mattress salesmen make their fantastic claims:

"Better Mattress... Better Sleep... Better Health! It just makes sense to invest in a quality mattress. There's no other single purchase that makes such a difference in your sleep – and your overall health and well-being. Our premium foam mattresses provide an unmatched range of important benefits.

Mattress Benefits

The ultimate in therapeutic support and cradling comfort
Delivers a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep
Relieves the painful pressure points innerspring mattresses can cause
Promotes better air circulation for a comfortable sleeping temperature
Distributes weight evenly, minimizing motion transfer "
Sleep Innovations® Inc.

All of the above is false in my case and I mean false.
We recently bought one of these Serta Memory Foam Firm matresses and find these statements to be true. Best nights sleep we've had in years, no aches or back pains.

We considered the Sleep Number bed but after reading the reviews and the problems they have, at our stage in life we need no more hassles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
We have an Original Mattress Factory mattress. Although they say it's not necessary, we had them put edge supports around the edges and now after about 10yrs, the edges are still firm, no sagging. My hubby is a big guy, much bigger than you and he always sits on the edge of the bed. Special Mattress Features - The Original Mattress Factory We've been very happy with it.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,155,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We recently bought one of these Serta Memory Foam Firm matresses and find these statements to be true. Best nights sleep we've had in years, no aches or back pains.

We considered the Sleep Number bed but after reading the reviews and the problems they have, at our stage in life we need no more hassles.
I did not get a SERTA memory foam from Costco but a SLEEP INNOVATIONS memory foam mattress. Sleep Innovations made those above claims about its memory foam mattresses.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM

That foam mattress company, SLEEP INNOVATIONS, in New Jersey never responded to my very descriptive complaint about its memory foam mattress. I wonder why not. I am going out to shop for another mattress and it won’t be at COSTCO. Heaven forbid!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
IMO, you best option is latex foam rubber. Expensive and very hard to move, lasts forever (it seems) great for heavy persons, comfotable. Be prepare to sepnd thousands though.

Ours is 12 years old and exactly the same as when it was new. I weigh between 200 and 235 and my wife is probably around 150 (I do not ask). WE frequently have as many as 5 kids sitting on the bed with us (another 600 pounds or so) for a total of as much as 1000 pounds on the bed. No probablems, no dimples dends or squished edges. No sagging. Nothing. It remains firm and even.

I think we paid $2800 for it 12 years ago, so probably more now.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 AM

32 posts, read 127,446 times
hey shrek....youll get different opinions from almost anyone because a mattress is totally subjective to ones likes and dislikes. im 250 lbs. and my old mattress was so beat that i woke up every morning with my back feeling like a pretzel..i just went out last weekend and ended up buying a traditional simmons coil spring mattress...i went in to sleepys positive that i wanted a latex mattress....until i laid on one(not my thing) my advice is to go to a sleepys type store and check out different types. i dont think you can know which matress is for you by laying on it for a few minutes,but i do think you can know which one ISNT for you ............good luck

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpster31 View Post
hey shrek....youll get different opinions from almost anyone because a mattress is totally subjective to ones likes and dislikes. im 250 lbs. and my old mattress was so beat that i woke up every morning with my back feeling like a pretzel..i just went out last weekend and ended up buying a traditional simmons coil spring mattress...i went in to sleepys positive that i wanted a latex mattress....until i laid on one(not my thing) my advice is to go to a sleepys type store and check out different types. i dont think you can know which matress is for you by laying on it for a few minutes,but i do think you can know which one ISNT for you ............good luck
Volpster31
I believe that you are very correct. What may suit me just fine could be torture to my wife or another person. And what tortures me could be heaven plus to someone else.

A visit to a furniture store the other day proved interesting. The sales lady told me to answer some questions on a machine and then plop down on a so-called scientific mattress machine. I was on it for about 5 to 10 minutes and VOILA! The machine said I needed a firm mattress. Of course that was my answer to one of the questions before I even plopped down on that stupid thing. Just another gimmick to try to sell mattresses.

Another problem trying to shop around for a mattress is plopping down on several of them with a sore back. Nothing really feels good. A good mattress store should also have a spa and some back rubbers to get their customers tuned up to be able to select the proper mattress.

I do not know how society became so tangled up in buying memory foam mattresses as opposed to the old spring style mattresses. When I was in the Marines I slept on a very thin mattress on top of a metal spring frame. Never did I have a back problem in those days sleeping on a real rack.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:58 PM

32 posts, read 127,446 times
all i know is i ended up getting a firm mattress and my back and shoulders havent hurt since..i got a simmons beautyrest lucetta from sleepys and it was pricey($1500) but i wake up without any pains which is priceless to me. i tried that sleep analyser thing and it recommended a firm for me too

Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
What is the best mattress to buy for a heavy person weighing about 280 lbs? Looking for a mattress that will maintain its shape and not form depressions, valleys, and sink holes like many memory foam mattresses do. Some of the inner spring mattresses are not much better because they round off at the edges.
This may not apply in your case, but for what it's worth I have a suggestion.

Make sure that whatever mattress you end up buying, is well supported. I have a ten year old conventional king sized Sealy mattress and box springs that seemed lumpy, uncomfortable, too low, and very saggy in the middle.

It was supported by a metal bed frame that was old, flimsy, had no center support, and one wheel had collapsed.

Before buying a new mattress, I gambled $59 on a new bed frame just to see what that would do. It turned out that the proper support provided by a new bed frame fixed both the sagging and lumpiness, and raised the mattress to a proper, normal height. My mattress is fine for a few more years and I sleep like a baby.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
When I last shopped for a bed, I brought my own pillows along. (Yes, even into the stores.) I wanted to give each bed it's best shot at making me comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House