Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:55 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,461,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
There also was a great program several years back about what houses you could get for the same money in different parts of the country (US). That was quite an eye opener.

I used to watch that show and nearly stroke out each time- yet loved it (Living in the north east will do that, re: housing prices).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I know it's scripted but still find myself watching for lolz.

The thing that gets irritating is the ad nauseum "I must have stainless steel appliances, granite counters, and hardwood floors". Seriously, are people sheep or something? Please don't tell me that everyone, or mostly everyone, must have all three of those things. I see nothing wrong with other types of appliances, hardwood floors were never a dealbreaker for me, and I do not like granite countertops.
What makes me crazy is a couple walking through a house and not liking the wallpaper or paint color - things that most people would change anyway, things that shouldn't determine whether they purchase the house or not. If they want a house exactly their way, they need to buy a new, custom house.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:50 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
What makes me crazy is a couple walking through a house and not liking the wallpaper or paint color - things that most people would change anyway, things that shouldn't determine whether they purchase the house or not. If they want a house exactly their way, they need to buy a new, custom house.
People get hung up on silly things. Some people won't buy a car that's not the color they want even if it has all the features they want.

And first time home buyers in particular may feel overwhelmed because they aren't sure how much work something might be. And dealing with wall paper can in fact be a lot of work. Not necessarily enough to stop me from buying a house I otherwise loved, but if there were a lot of wallpapered rooms, I'd have to calculate that into the budget and the timetable, and it's very possible it could knock a house off the list.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:47 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
This thread is hilarious, had such a good time reading it, even though it's old. I went back to this post specifically, because it's so fake that these people look at ONLY three homes and then pick one. If they followed me around on a home search this past year, it would be a miniseries, but with lots of comedy and drama.

If ONLY I could have picked from three homes. Oh and they pick the home and EVERYONE magically gets through their inspection phase, and appraisal phase. Of course HGTV makes sure they're in escrow on a house first. They don't want to waste time/money following people on a house hunt, only to throw away the footage because the deal falls through.
Am I the only person who wonders whether any of these couples actually find they prefer one of the other two "choices" to the house they're actually under contract to buy?

Wouldn't that be a nice twist to end a House Hunters episode on? "Well, we were already in escrow on House number #1 when this show started filming, but if we'd actually seen House #3 first we would definitely have bought it instead!"

Last edited by Aredhel; 11-20-2015 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 06:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,190,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yes, and it is a little insulting for the man.
like the famous closet line:

wife: my clothes will go here, where will yours go.

it isnt funny and its downright degrading.

most of the young hunters are nothing more than 2 spoiled brat dummies.
I hate that line! I want to slap every person who says that. Nasty woman can't share the closet? Who wants to be with someone like that? It isn't funny at all and is played out just as much as the stainless/granite/hardwood line these days.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:54 PM

480 posts, read 1,918,340 times
What gets me are these 22 year old couples with 800k budgets.

What are they, cocaine dealers?

Old 11-21-2015, 05:59 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post

I know, right? The wife works from home and the husband is a writer, and they can afford 1M house. I must be doing something wrong.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:46 AM

480 posts, read 1,918,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know, right? The wife works from home and the husband is a writer, and they can afford 1M house. I must be doing something wrong.
Unless he's Stephen King...

Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post

It's funny. I think they have VERY rich parents who are giving them all this money. I think this is why they have a fit when a 1,000 repair bill is putting them over budget because they don't have the money to repair it. They were given 800K and not a penny more by their parents.

I did watch an episode of Property Brothers where the couple were both lawyers and their max budget was 600something. When repairs came up, they were easily able to come up with the extra money for the repairs.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
I get angry watching HGTV because I'm a 36 year old man with a decent to good income and every single young couple just starting out that has already popped out 3 kids can afford more house than me.

In addition I'm sick of the same crap everyone wants. I'm going to sign up for one of these house hunters shows and my demands for a new house will be:

-Laminate countertops
-Carpet throughout
-Closed floorplan (doors in between all rooms if possible)
-NO crown molding
-Black or white appliances
-No backsplash unless it's just laminate
-No kitchen island
-No bathtubs, showers only please

Wonder how fast they'll arrange to have me on the show??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House