Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I have black and stainless in my kitchen, and it's EASY to keep clean. Just 5 minutes a week with this:

Jesus, some of you just love to hear yourselves complain. "OMG, it's too hard to keep anything clean!"
Yeah, I don't get it either. I have stainless now, have had both black and white in the past. They all get dirt on them, and they all wipe off clean. I totally don't get the whole "Stainless is impossible to keep clean" thing. IMO, if anything, black shows the most dirt of all, not stainless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It's impossible to tell if it's dirty or has crumbs on it because of all the color variation!
You say this like this is a bad thing?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well, I have to say that we did no updating (and were advised not to by our real estate agent) of the house we sold in Miami in December 2012. We painted, cleaned, freshened, replaced faucets, light fixtures and a couple appliances that inconveniently died just before we sold the house, and made sure everything worked, but the house hadn't been remodeled since it was rebuilt after being virtually demolished by Hurricane Andrew in 1992, and we had replaced the roof in 2011. But there certainly was no granite in the kitchen, wood floors, or stainless steel appliances. None of that mattered, we sold the house for the asking price We had three offers on the first day the house hit the MLS, one from a buyer proposing to pay cash, but he lost out because he couldn't come up with a firm offer that day.
that's what we're going to do -- I don't see the sense in buying new appliances while we're still here -- I cook almost daily. We'll offer a credit for them to buy their own appliances.

What funny is 30 years ago it was SO different. People took their appliances with them, and most people wanted houses they could fix up. We so happy when the guy who sold us this house left his really old appliances because we drained our savings to buy this house.... a year later they all started breaking but we were in better shape to purchase them one at a time.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 AM

352 posts, read 324,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Nah -- they wouldn't make that show. The problem is the "powers that be" feel people over 55 only purchase Depends, Metamucil and hearing aids. Which is why any program that skews older in demographics gets cancelled.

I wanted to add -- I guess I understand the fascination for stainless steel appliances (actually, no I don't, I have to clean elevator panels every day from fingerprints...) but I'm really starting to get the feeling that the people looking think that stainless appliances are actually superior in quality, when it's the same stove with a different exterior. It's not better because it's stainless. It's just stainless.
Plus, how is something "stainless" when you have to constantly wipe stains from it?
I hate my "stainless" fridge, I can't put magnets on it and it looks dirty even 1 minute after I clean it. But I got it because it was the only fridge that would fit in the weird space our kitchen had for it.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

352 posts, read 324,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Weren't a good number of hgtv shows claimed to be scripted? It seems they start off real but the scripting comes later. Even my absolute favorite hgtv show of all time, Real Estate Intervention with my husband (in my mind) Mike Aubrey, was said to have some scripted story lines here and there. Perhaps that was the case by the 3rd season. But I honestly believe the first 2 seasons were as real as it got.
All "reality" TV is scripted. It's really obvious when you watch it that they have scripted lines. Of course they don't read from scripts, but they literally will give the people a list of 10 phrases to say and they film them saying that. They'll also use editing to make it look like someone is saying something about one thing when they're really talking about another.

My source of this information? My appearance on Room Raiders where I had to do 4 takes of my being "surprised" at the door of my condo. They told me what to say and how to say it.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,192,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I still watch for entertainment value

since it's scripted, you'd think they would vary the script a LITTLE bit! Find someone who wants carpet, or a really NICE big walk-in shower rather than a "soaker tub". I bet someone has come up with a House Hunters BINGO game with all the catch phrases...Open floor plan, granite, SS appliances, hardwood floors, soaking tub, etc etc.

The show that's the worst as far as being scripted & OVERLY so is "Love it or List it". Ugh! Those people get on my last nerve.

I don't think it would be possible to find two more catty hosts than David and Hillary.

The property brothers are sweethearts. David and Hillary are just beeyotches.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Plus, how is something "stainless" when you have to constantly wipe stains from it?
I hate my "stainless" fridge, I can't put magnets on it and it looks dirty even 1 minute after I clean it. But I got it because it was the only fridge that would fit in the weird space our kitchen had for it.
If you spill and burn something on a stainless cooktop, you can use Brillo to clean it. That's why it's stainless -- it's pretty impervious. That's why they use it in industrial kitchens -- because each night they have to clean out and degrease the stovetops, and they clean up pretty easily.

BUT -- that doesn't translate to a home kitchen. I prefer white appliances...since they don't have pink or turquoise unless you want to spend $$$$ on Elmira appliances.

For a while there was a whole black and white thing going on in appliance world (white with black doors and trim), but my kitchen is dark and doesn't get a great deal of light -- black appliances make it look like a cave.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:29 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
...since they don't have pink or turquoise unless you want to spend $$$$ on Elmira appliances.
When I was in the military, I was in South Korea for a few months. I remember walking past an appliance store and all of their appliances were all sorts of colors. This was back in 99 and I remember thinking how cool this was and wondered why we didn't do this stateside.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
[/b]

I don't think it would be possible to find two more catty hosts than David and Hillary.

The property brothers are sweethearts. David and Hillary are just beeyotches.
LOL. The property brothers are hot, so I watch for eye candy.

Love it or List it I kind of like. I'm kind of in that same boat right now - love it? or list it?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:41 PM

639 posts, read 972,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I still watch for entertainment value

since it's scripted, you'd think they would vary the script a LITTLE bit! Find someone who wants carpet, or a really NICE big walk-in shower rather than a "soaker tub". I bet someone has come up with a House Hunters BINGO game with all the catch phrases...Open floor plan, granite, SS appliances, hardwood floors, soaking tub, etc etc.

The show that's the worst as far as being scripted & OVERLY so is "Love it or List it". Ugh! Those people get on my last nerve.
Funny you should say that....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...ng-game#k468o0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House