Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
That's impressive. In addition to no time I flat out do not want a lot of people in my house. I've always been that way even in college (went to parties, never threw them). My neighbors recently threw an end of summer party. There had to be a good 40-50 people in their home from 8pm til 1am. oh he11z no. I top out at 4.
As for overnight guests everyone I know is local and those that aren't like hotels so I have yet to host a single overnight guest so no need for a guest ready spare bedroom, guest suite, guest house, carriage house or whatever the latest HH must have extra space is. I would love to see a HH where are they now and see how many HH are in foreclosure, divorced or never even moved into the house they chose.
I remember one episode of a couple in LA with a small for LA budget and she was clearly a) doing the show for exposure b) lying about her age by a good 5-10 years c) was clearly going to dump the dude paying if someone with deeper pockets came along.
Anyone notice a white kitchen cabinet trend? I'm noticing more and more HH want white kitchens, I suspect because they never had a white kitchen.
There IS a show House Hunters...Where Are They Now. I watch it all the time. The ones they show are, of course, the 'successful' home buyers and show all the renos they've done on the house. I like the show.

Last night I happened to catch a show about people looking at fancy schmancy RVs. Wow were those women full of entitlement. One woman turned down a 45 ft. luxury RV because it didn't have a dedicated space for her itty bitty dog! She could have MADE one for it in that monster. lol One got rejected because it didn't have a dishwasher. But I guess, if you can afford up to $500,000 for an RV you can afford to be picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 AM

894 posts, read 1,051,177 times
I hate having a lot of people in my house, I think everyone is just different.

I think it's just funny when literally every HH couple needs a house to "entertain" in, because in reality, do that many people entertain large groups on a consistent enough basis to where you need a chef's kitchen and 2,000 sq ft. great room? Because personally, I don't know anyone who does. Besides holidays and a get together here and there, everyone I know pretty much does their own thing.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I take it you have a cleaning phobia. It's not that hard. Really. I posted my large master bedroom and bathroom, it stays clean and is easy to keep clean with very little effort. YOU may be a hermit and not know anyone who entertains, but I do. And during the summer I'm outside on the triple level back deck all the time, grilling and lounging and occasionally using the hot tub.

And as I said, this house had a fairly small master bedroom and master bath that my wife and I used for about 5 years before deciding we needed more space, because we were constantly in each othr's way (there was only enough room for one person in the bathroom at any given time) and we wanted room to get dressed without getting in each other's way. So no, you shoufl nt feel deprived, but you should also not be insulting about others that want something more. Like me. Your arrogance is unbecoming.
I don't know who you are talking to but if it's me I can tell you that at 72 years old I am NOT into a lot of cleaning and upkeep. My house is neat and clean but I don't want to have to clean a lot of unused space just because it gets so dusty here. I'm not a hermit either but I just don't have that much company and what I do have fits comfortably in my home. Lucky you to be able to afford all that and if that's what you want I say more power to you.

Arrogance???? You are the first person in my entire life to accuse me of that! LOL I couldn't care less what other people want and like. I just don't always understand why. Geeez...lighten up, will ya? Knee jerk reactions aren't attractive either.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM

352 posts, read 324,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
that some of the absolute pickiest buyers are the ones with the smallest budget???

They MUST have:
granite counters
SS appliances
hardwood floors
master retreat to rival a 5 star hotel
awesome curb appeal
large backyard with privacy
great school district

and their budget is like, $120k, for a suburb of DC. Yeah, good luck with that!

This show is so goofy and scripted. I still watch because I enjoy seeing house decor/style/prices in other parts of the country. But I really like the Property Virgins show with the host named Egypt. It's a little more realistic and gets into the details of making the offer, etc. And sometimes the buyers totally back out and decide to put their house hunt on hold. Much more realistic, IMO.
Honestly, I stopped watching House Hunters as the people hunting became less and less intelligent. Their lack of intelligence is likely the reason why they have such a tiny budget but think they can afford it all. "I want it within steps of the beach, to have a gourmet kitchen, a gold plated toilet and a diamond encrusted garage door for just $1,000 a month".

Honestly, I don't want to watch people hunting on a budget. I don't want to see people getting old, crappy apartments with bug infestations. Show us professionals with realistic budgets and realistic expectations. Then again, I'm not likely to ever watch the show again, which is a shame because it's actually something that interests me, which is rare for "reality" TV.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:21 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, because you don't want these 3 things, people are sheep? Obviously, there are a lot of people out there who like these 3 things. Heck, go into a new construction home and chances are, they will have all 3 of these things. Why? Because this is what majority of the people shopping for a home want.
Baaaaaaaaaaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
As far as annoyances, here's mine:
Mine are the obligatory opening shots that illustrate what a horrible life the couple/family has in its current home - opening the oven door and the refrigerator at the same time, 5 people crammed into the bathroom at once, the tall husband bopping his head on a low basement ceiling (duck, you moron!), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Can you imagine, signing up for an additional hour and a half of commuting every day in exchange for a master bathroom?
Wow, talk about selfish! What a bad mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Just a thought, how about a show about empty nestors/retired buyers who are looking to DOWNSIZE and SIMPLIFY?
It's not aimed at retirees, and I can't remember what cable channel it's on, but there's a show called Tiny Houses, or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We always watched House Hunters to see the kinds of houses we can't afford. lol But the show we like is Property Brothers. Somebody may say it's scripted too but, even if it is, if it shows maybe a few families how to buy and old house and fix it up,I think it's worth it.
Oh, Lord, that show is even worse. I can't take seeing those two clowns rip out any more walls or destroy any more perfectly sound kitchen cabinets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
8. Couple gets upset at an orange (or other colored) wall.......So paint it!
Oh, I was told on this very forum that painting is too hard and too time consuming.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:30 PM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
This subject has been done to death already.
I have also started to get annoyed at Property Brothers, which is an OK show, because the couple they have choosing a house never seems to have a clue that it is about choosing a fixer, and someone else is doing the work, even though they must have seen the show and applied to be on it. Jeeze.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
There IS a show House Hunters...Where Are They Now. I watch it all the time. The ones they show are, of course, the 'successful' home buyers and show all the renos they've done on the house. I like the show.
I love the Where Are They Now shows too. I really like seeing what the houses look like once they've lived there more than a few weeks. I think it's interesting to see what things made the cut out of everything they wanted to re-do and what things they end up deciding they can live with.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Since you say "different strokes," why was it so important to you to disparage the fact that others DO like to have larger gatherings on a fairly regular basis (not necessarily even weekly or monthly, but more than just a Christmas and Thanksgiving...)? I like a house full of laughter and merriment and have frequent gatherings, for birthdays, special occasions, a weekend party, football games, etc. I also have family and friends from out of state visit (not regularly, but often enough) and use the guest bedroom for an overnight stay or even a week at a stretch. You and Lubina make it sound like we're stupid to have that because you guys don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Who said anything about frequent big gatherings?
And why assume that I don't care for individual time with families?

Entertaining can be as small as a single dinner guest as large as dozens or even hundreds of people!
And you can do small AND large in the same week or month.

You say different strokes, but you don't seem to mean it.
Ok. Both of yous. Unknot your panties, please. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:18 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Since you say "different strokes," why was it so important to you to disparage the fact that others DO like to have larger gatherings on a fairly regular basis (not necessarily even weekly or monthly, but more than just a Christmas and Thanksgiving...)? I like a house full of laughter and merriment and have frequent gatherings, for birthdays, special occasions, a weekend party, football games, etc. I also have family and friends from out of state visit (not regularly, but often enough) and use the guest bedroom for an overnight stay or even a week at a stretch. You and Lubina make it sound like we're stupid to have that because you guys don't like it.
I don't see that the poster to whom you're responding made any disparaging remarks about others liking to entertain. If you go back and read her post carefully, you will see that she simply stated that they have limited time to entertain, like their own company and when they do have guests, prefer to limit the number of guests. Both posters to whom you refer are stating their own preferences, and if they point out what they see as negative aspects of entertaining large numbers of people in their own homes, I don't see how their doing so is meant as disparaging those who do so.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
I take it you have a cleaning phobia. It's not that hard. Really. I posted my large master bedroom and bathroom, it stays clean and is easy to keep clean with very little effort. YOU may be a hermit and not know anyone who entertains, but I do. And during the summer I'm outside on the triple level back deck all the time, grilling and lounging and occasionally using the hot tub.

And as I said, this house had a fairly small master bedroom and master bath that my wife and I used for about 5 years before deciding we needed more space, because we were constantly in each othr's way (there was only enough room for one person in the bathroom at any given time) and we wanted room to get dressed without getting in each other's way. So no, you shoufl nt feel deprived, but you should also not be insulting about others that want something more. Like me. Your arrogance is unbecoming.
Oh. I guess you this post was directed at me since you didn't bother to use the "quote" button there. You getting peeved at my words is actually pretty funny since I didn't say anything "insulting" whatsoever. If I wanted to insult, TRUST ME, I would have used very clear language (within the ToS, of course). So, again, unknot your knickers.

I also don't see what is your point about describing all of the features of your house. I mean, who cares if you have a deck with a hot tub and you have a huge master bedroom and bathroom? What does that have to do with the topic? I have decks, a similarly sized MBR and yada yada but so what? I pointed out how funny it was that every single daggone person on HH was "entertaining" and therefore required a grand kitchen and you and the other poster take it as some sort of personal attack. Cmon, people, save the umbrage for some other topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House