Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:15 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
OR...
they are super busy BECAUSE they entertain.

We always made time for family and friends, no matter how busy we were.
We make time for family and friends too. But reality dictates that we don't have much time for such entertaining on a regular basis. Our friends and other family members are the same way. People spend their time in different ways and many of us like to spend individual time with our families more than having frequent, big gatherings at the house. Different strokes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
That's impressive. In addition to no time I flat out do not want a lot of people in my house. I've always been that way even in college (went to parties, never threw them). My neighbors recently threw an end of summer party. There had to be a good 40-50 people in their home from 8pm til 1am. oh he11z no. I top out at 4.
As for overnight guests everyone I know is local and those that aren't like hotels so I have yet to host a single overnight guest so no need for a guest ready spare bedroom, guest suite, guest house, carriage house or whatever the latest HH must have extra space is. I would love to see a HH where are they now and see how many HH are in foreclosure, divorced or never even moved into the house they chose.
I remember one episode of a couple in LA with a small for LA budget and she was clearly a) doing the show for exposure b) lying about her age by a good 5-10 years c) was clearly going to dump the dude paying if someone with deeper pockets came along.
Anyone notice a white kitchen cabinet trend? I'm noticing more and more HH want white kitchens, I suspect because they never had a white kitchen.
Well we do have to show that we aren't total recluses

You bring up another reason why we don't entertain as much. We have a larger home but don't really care for lots of people in it. I, for one, don't want to clean up after so many people either.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,419,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
that some of the absolute pickiest buyers are the ones with the smallest budget???

They MUST have:
granite counters
SS appliances
hardwood floors
master retreat to rival a 5 star hotel
awesome curb appeal
large backyard with privacy
great school district

and their budget is like, $120k, for a suburb of DC.
Yeah, good luck with that!

This show is so goofy and scripted. I still watch because I enjoy seeing house decor/style/prices in other parts of the country. But I really like the Property Virgins show with the host named Egypt. It's a little more realistic and gets into the details of making the offer, etc. And sometimes the buyers totally back out and decide to put their house hunt on hold. Much more realistic, IMO.
So true.

I used to love this show when it first aired and you had an "actual" show host (Suzanne Whang).

Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM

14,957 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummmm... they HAVE to say something, because it is all fake.
And yes - they DO have a clue what things cost. But they fake it for some cash and some airtime.
Some of the people already are in the house; many are in escrow with one of the three finalist houses.

This will burst your bubble...

The Truth About “House Hunters” on HGTV

Not really. It's a TV "reality" show , scripted to fit in the 30 minute timeline, ads included. If you were to follow real folks hunting for houses it'd have to be a miniseries, LOL.

That's "reality TV" for ya!

I watch it sometimes because I like seeing the insides of houses, but it's not something I'd take seriously, it's obviously staged.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,485,225 times
I watch them when I can. They're just kind of something mindless to watch.

What I've noticed is that when they do try to go outside of the box with a couple who wants something different than the regular, they go way too far, and what they air is sometimes ridiculous.

I saw one of the HH episodes where the wife's number one must-have was a water fountain. I thought she was talking about a water feature in the backyard, but no, she wanted a true water fountain. She wanted the kids to be able to get a drink outside, so they wouldn't be coming in the house for water and making a mess. She didn't get her fountain .

The husband's must-have was even goofier. He wanted tall ceilings for the sole purpose of having enough space to fly his remote helicopter indoors. He found his home with ceilings in the bathroom that were tall enough. At the end of the show, he was shown sitting on the toilet flying his copter around the bathroom and having a great time.

The goofiest Property Brothers episode that I've ever seen was the one with the couple who had a chicken and a rabbit in a cage in the living room. Imagine that smell . The wife thought she was some kind of little sex kitten and would sprawl out on the bed in suggestive positions . What a hoot that one was!

It's already been mentioned, but I have to agree on the...this is my closet, where will you put your clothes... it drives me nuts, way overdone

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,301,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Oh, 1/4 acre is positively grand by today's McMansion development standards (at least here in CA). The places that crack me up are the two story 3000 sq ft jobs, two floor plans alternated throughout the development, on 0.1 acre lots. The occupants of adjoining houses can each extend their arms from the upstairs windows and shake hands with their neighbors. Ugh.

Reminds me of a vain person trying to squeeze into clothes that are two sizes too small!
It's just the modern version of the classic old rowhouse/townhouse setup here on the east coast:

They were also put up fairly quickly to create dense population areas in the 1700s and 1800s

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We make time for family and friends too. But reality dictates that we don't have much time for such entertaining on a regular basis. Our friends and other family members are the same way. People spend their time in different ways and many of us like to spend individual time with our families more than having frequent, big gatherings at the house. Different strokes..
Since you say "different strokes," why was it so important to you to disparage the fact that others DO like to have larger gatherings on a fairly regular basis (not necessarily even weekly or monthly, but more than just a Christmas and Thanksgiving...)? I like a house full of laughter and merriment and have frequent gatherings, for birthdays, special occasions, a weekend party, football games, etc. I also have family and friends from out of state visit (not regularly, but often enough) and use the guest bedroom for an overnight stay or even a week at a stretch. You and Lubina make it sound like we're stupid to have that because you guys don't like it.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM

22,603 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Who said anything about frequent big gatherings?
And why assume that I don't care for individual time with families?

Entertaining can be as small as a single dinner guest as large as dozens or even hundreds of people!
And you can do small AND large in the same week or month.

You say different strokes, but you don't seem to mean it.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardislass View Post
I think they have had that in the past usually with folks who are looking for a condo in Florida or SC.

In addition to non-stop entertaining, many of the HH peopke need a dedicated home office. Even if one works as a Barista, they need one and heaven forbid they have to share with their partner.

Two more things that bug:

The young 20-somethings that see a kitchen with perfectly nice white appliances and say that they will need to rip out everything because it's not SS.

The single people that need a 3000 sq ft SFH. It sounds nice until you have to clean all those rooms yourself!

Just once I'd like to hear someone say the master bedroom is too large!
I totally agree with all you've said. I see a perfectly acceptable kitchen that *I* would be more than happy to have and yet they HAVE to change it all.

I don't understand why even TWO people need that much space and yes, I'd be hard pressed to keep it clean. Those big houses have so much unused space it's ridiculous. I have a really small house but I use it ALL.

Maybe 'some' people do a lot entertaining but I don't know anyone who does. Sure, the holiday get togethers, etc. but geez. And another one that gets me is those fancy "outdoor living spaces" with kitchens and all. Yes, they ARE really nice but I am not about to try to keep all THAT clean! Especially where I live!

Some of those bedrooms are beautiful but how much time does one spend in the bedroom? Some do have fancy sitting areas and all but I bet they don't get used that much. Just more to clean. And I won't even get started on the master bath! lol Makes me wonder how I EVER survived in the 3 BR/1 BA house for so many years. Should I have felt deprived? lol

The office thing I can 'almost' understand because I want that for myself. I have been doing genealogy for over 25 years and it's really nice to have the room to spread out so I can work on things. I hate dragging things out and then having to put it all away every time I work on it. That's why I usually have at least a 2 BR place so I can have one room just for that. Three bedrooms is ideal because I'd like to have one dedicated to visitors. I have three kids and a bunch of grandkids AND great grandkids so I can always use that space.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 AM

I take it you have a cleaning phobia. It's not that hard. Really. I posted my large master bedroom and bathroom, it stays clean and is easy to keep clean with very little effort. YOU may be a hermit and not know anyone who entertains, but I do. And during the summer I'm outside on the triple level back deck all the time, grilling and lounging and occasionally using the hot tub.

And as I said, this house had a fairly small master bedroom and master bath that my wife and I used for about 5 years before deciding we needed more space, because we were constantly in each othr's way (there was only enough room for one person in the bathroom at any given time) and we wanted room to get dressed without getting in each other's way. So no, you shoufl nt feel deprived, but you should also not be insulting about others that want something more. Like me. Your arrogance is unbecoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House