Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Open concept with room to entertain.

That's a biggie.
That one really makes me laugh. As if supposedly super busy people have that much time to entertain. We entertain like maybe once every two months since we just don't have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you've watched 100 of them, well ok, maybe 1000 in my case!, then they are all the same. But despite the fakery, I think there are some first time buyers out there who do think along the lines that they are going to get everything they want for the price they want to pay. So I think it may be helpful for people to see that the reality always involves compromising on some factors, whether it's the specifics of the property, or if you and your partner have wildly divergent tastes, you will need to compromise there as well.
The compromising seems so fake. Let's see how househunting really is, where spouses bicker a lot more and each has their own dealbreakers. I fail to see how someone who hates a two story house as much as they say they do would all of a sudden learn to "love the stairs" because Buffy absolutely must have the house. I literally see the women many times disregarding completely what the guy thinks, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
the fact that it is scripted should give them the leeway to make the dialogue more interesting, don't you think?
You got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
We always watched House Hunters to see the kinds of houses we can't afford. lol But the show we like is Property Brothers. Somebody may say it's scripted too but, even if it is, if it shows maybe a few families how to buy and old house and fix it up,I think it's worth it.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Merc63, love it!!!

I watch House Hunters with a sense of perverse pleasure. My husband and I enjoy predicting which couples will be divorced or in foreclosure in five years. I know, we're sick puppies...

HH's seems to have a central casting theme: wife is a spoiled, entitled princess; hubby is a Beta male pushover. They do vary on occasion, but the bulk of couples follow that pattern.

As far as annoyances, here's mine:
1. Obsession with stainless steel/granite/garden tubs/double vanities/walk-in closets
2. Complaining about carpet when they wanted hardwood (pull the carpet up moron!)
3. Complaining about children having to share bedrooms (Oh the humanity! There's nothing worse than first world problems!)
4. Man caves (enough said)
5. Couples who lived with parents to save money for home purchase and complain about it (yeah, I'm sure your parents were real thrilled to support grown adults as well)
6. Touring a 3,000 sq ft house and saying "well it's kinda small...."
7. Wife enters large closet and says "this is where MY clothes will go, I don't know where you're going to put your stuff..."

I could go on and on....
I wanna play, I wanna play!

8. Couple gets upset at an orange (or other colored) wall.......So paint it!
9. Upon seeing a baby nursery, wife gets baby fever and says it would be PERFECT if they ever have a baby. Husband changes subject.
10. They just have to have five bedrooms.... but they have no kids?

I read this article recently.....I think I've had all these thoughts while watching the show.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/th...hunters#1vvp89

Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times
Quote:
As if supposedly super busy people have that much time to entertain. We entertain like maybe once every two months since we just don't have the time.
That's impressive. In addition to no time I flat out do not want a lot of people in my house. I've always been that way even in college (went to parties, never threw them). My neighbors recently threw an end of summer party. There had to be a good 40-50 people in their home from 8pm til 1am. oh he11z no. I top out at 4.
As for overnight guests everyone I know is local and those that aren't like hotels so I have yet to host a single overnight guest so no need for a guest ready spare bedroom, guest suite, guest house, carriage house or whatever the latest HH must have extra space is. I would love to see a HH where are they now and see how many HH are in foreclosure, divorced or never even moved into the house they chose.
I remember one episode of a couple in LA with a small for LA budget and she was clearly a) doing the show for exposure b) lying about her age by a good 5-10 years c) was clearly going to dump the dude paying if someone with deeper pockets came along.
Anyone notice a white kitchen cabinet trend? I'm noticing more and more HH want white kitchens, I suspect because they never had a white kitchen.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
I love when they want to be in town, in the very center of everything, then complain it's too noisy.

I watch several shows, know they're scripted, but still enjoy seeing the areas, houses, yards.

Property Brothers (their appearance resembles our youngest son)...house transformations are
beautiful, I like most of their design and decorating.

House Hunters International.. they can't find anywhere in the US/Canada to "unwind" so they have
to go to a country that doesn't have all the amenities, then complain there's no dishwasher...
Some of the locations are beautiful, but some are very "rustic", no hot water etc.
(I'd love to go back after a few years and see if they're still there...)

Love it or List it.....most times I would list it myself, but I read some of the people never intended
to move anyway...

Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
I wanna play, I wanna play!

8. Couple gets upset at an orange (or other colored) wall.......So paint it!
9. Upon seeing a baby nursery, wife gets baby fever and says it would be PERFECT if they ever have a baby. Husband changes subject.
10. They just have to have five bedrooms.... but they have no kids?

I read this article recently.....I think I've had all these thoughts while watching the show.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/th...hunters#1vvp89
That article is hilarious, I've had every single one of those thoughts.

I love when a couple claims to want a home with "character" then turns around and complains about the old-fashioned features which give the home said character. Yeah folks, not too many people in the 1920's had walk-in closets and spa bathrooms.

For me, the best episode ever was the Atlanta couple who had to downsize from their 6,000 sq ft country club home when the husband lost his job as an investment banker after the mortgage industry went to sh*t. She had really bad plastic surgery and was an absolute witch. You could tell she was the type who reminded her husband how badly he effed up their lives every chance she got...

Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I enjoy watching HH and especially HH Int'l. It's like taking a short travelogue. And then my next favorite is where HH goes back to the home after a period of time to see what happened and how they are doing. I like looking at houses and locations. I don't mind that it is scripted. I love the foreign country ones the best. "what ! I have to wash my dishes outside.....?" Or an oven the size of an EZ Bake Oven..... Its all good fun, JMO. lol

Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
I love it when they go into a subdivision full of houses on quarter acre lots and then act shocked when the backyard isn't totally private. "Ewww, the neighbors can SEE us!" So move to the country! Or at least don't look at houses in densely packed subdivisions.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That one really makes me laugh. As if supposedly super busy people have that much time to entertain. We entertain like maybe once every two months since we just don't have the time.
OR...
they are super busy BECAUSE they entertain.

We always made time for family and friends, no matter how busy we were.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I love it when they go into a subdivision full of houses on quarter acre lots and then act shocked when the backyard isn't totally private. "Ewww, the neighbors can SEE us!" So move to the country! Or at least don't look at houses in densely packed subdivisions.
Oh, 1/4 acre is positively grand by today's McMansion development standards (at least here in CA). The places that crack me up are the two story 3000 sq ft jobs, two floor plans alternated throughout the development, on 0.1 acre lots. The occupants of adjoining houses can each extend their arms from the upstairs windows and shake hands with their neighbors. Ugh.

Reminds me of a vain person trying to squeeze into clothes that are two sizes too small!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House