Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times

Advertisements

Not even remotely close to the kind of drones we're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In that case, you've sure invested a lot in this thread.
Surely. And I can invest a lot more if I find interesting to me.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Oh, I bet you that a POS $ 1000 Amazon drone will be circuit-dead even before I pull the trigger.

Like I said -- I will take my chances on myself safely shooting down the stupid drone on my backyard. Rather than rely on the Yahoo down the block properly maintaining the thing.
What if the yahoo is a bigger nut than you and shoots you AND your family in response?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Short answer:

Is it legal? Probably.

Is it OK or right? Probably not.
I wouldn't assume the bolded. Some cities/towns have been pro-active on this score, and have enacted laws regulating drone activity, making crossing over into private-property air space illegal. If the OP's area doesn't have such a law, s/he could organize affected neighbors, and petition City Hall, write letters to the editor of the local newspaper, and make other efforts to have a law enacted. It's an emerging area of law.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:27 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I'm going to mostly stay out of the debate except to say:

1) Hovering very low over someone's house is completely inappropriate, and if the person is spying, talk to them or contact the authorities
2) I personally do my best to respect everyone's privacy (neighbor was actually sad when I told him my security camera cut off before his property line , because he was hoping I had some video for him for an incident. I purposely make sure they view my property only), but I've occasionally flown over houses to get somewhere. When I do, I do it high enough that it should cause no disturbance (the things can be loud) and not impact anyone's enjoyment of their own property.

With that said, as mentioned several times here, these things are wide angle meant for taking video of landscape and the like, not spying on people. While I'm sure there are creeps who use it for that purpose, the large majority are just having fun. I would do better spying by walking the neighborhood with my cell phone. For example, here is a shot from about 190 feet high if I recall. I'm standing on the baseball field. Can't find me? Look to the grass just behind where first base would be, and you'll see a white dot. In fairness, this is a screen grab from the video, so if I took an actual picture from there it would be slightly better, but when I fly over an area at 190 feet, I'm not spying on you, and will have no idea you are even there in all likelihood.

For another reference, I believe this was about 35-40 feet. You can at least find people in this one. But you can't tell a thing other than "there is a person". Drones are new technology, a little unknown, and have been in the news. However, you probably have plenty of other things to worry about (like a hacker using your own cell phone camera to spy).
(#1) many posters don't care what is "inappropriate"

I considered a contractor bringing his dog into my house w/o asking to be "inappropriate"

Some posters saw nothing wrong with it .

Same with drones flying low over my yard.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In that case, you've sure invested a lot in this thread.

Lololol first he doesn't care about drones and professes his love of his own ignorance then suddenly he thinks he is an expert on not just the drones but also law enforcement, physics and electronics. A total loon. Now his time is so valuable that he has posted a hundred times in a thread he simultaneously doesn't care about and is too busy for. Lolololol.

Last edited by lkb0714; 07-06-2017 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 01:24 PM

712 posts, read 841,779 times
Quote:
I am actually a very responsible person. No arrests, no record, except of course several parking tickets, and one moving violation several years ago (not speeding). Proud father of two, my 19 yr old NYC daughter thinks I am the best dad. Graduate degree. Son of another graduate. Paying my daughter college, full boat. So, I am very hinged. I say "shoot it down". No one yet here has given a logical response on why shouldn't I.
I, have on the other hand given several reasons why someone should.
...how about 5 to 20 years in federal prison - is that 'logical' enough for you?
(18 U.S.C. 32 titled Aircraft Sabotage)
https://www.eteknix.com/faa-rule-fed...-down-a-drone/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog.../#427d6af92a25

Make sure you post the video on youtube (of you shooting drone down), and subsequent mailing address of your cell; I'll mail you a bar of soap

Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
...how about 5 to 20 years in federal prison - is that 'logical' enough for you?
(18 U.S.C. 32 titled Aircraft Sabotage)
https://www.eteknix.com/faa-rule-fed...-down-a-drone/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johngog.../#427d6af92a25

Make sure you post the video on youtube (of you shooting drone down), and subsequent mailing address of your cell; I'll mail you a bar of soap
Two issues:

1- Anonymous shooting of hobby drones. Anonymous being the key word here.

2- FAA rules talk about "authorized" drones. Due to a DC court ruling of 6 weeks ago, FAA is not even supposed to now ask for registering hobby drones. So if you have a hobby drone, unlicensed, unregistered, etc how does that drone become "authorized," so it can become a protected drone?

Last edited by Henry10; 07-06-2017 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
We are having a heated debate in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors is flying their drone with a camera over and around the houses in our subdivision. This is ticking off some of the neighbors. Just for background, our subdivision is a non HOA with all of our lots being 1/2-1 acre in size.

Some of the neighbors are saying their home ownership rights extend up vertically and that the neighbor's camera drone is infringing on the home owner's privacy.

I really don't care but my hubby said "What if some neighbor flew their drone past the high bathroom window we have (that has no curtain treatments on because it's too high) and you or one of our kids were getting out of the tub or shower?"

Hmmm. That gave me a bit of pause.

What say you?
If it has a camera, and I assume that it does, call the cops on the pervert

Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
I am actually a very responsible person. No arrests, no record, except of course several parking tickets, and one moving violation several years ago (not speeding). Proud father of two, my 19 yr old NYC daughter thinks I am the best dad. Graduate degree. Son of another graduate. Paying my daughter college, full boat. So, I am very hinged. I say "shoot it down". No one yet here has given a logical response on why shouldn't I.
I, have on the other hand given several reasons why someone should.
Hope the nice family visits you in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House