Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times

Advertisements

When we bought our Arizona house we told the realtor no flat roofs. Now you know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 AM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My house is falling apart!
If it is... that didn't start last week

Quote:
We bought it a month ago and now...
Did you have it inspected before you bought?
What were you told about condition and history?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If it is... that didn't start last week

Did you have it inspected before you bought?
What were you told about condition and history?
There were some minor issues during the inspection... nothing major.. but nothing about the roof was mentioned.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Edit.... nevermind.... read previous page posts that answered.

If you haven't even made your first payment yet, and there were no problems with the roof, I'd be calling that inspector. There may be limits in what he's liable for, but I would tell him what is happening and see what he offers to do.

Then read your contract with him.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 AM

730 posts, read 1,658,736 times
Call the attorney you used for the closing, ask him/her if you have a claim.

Even if the attorney says there is no basis for a claim, I would call the prior owner and see what they say.

While they may not be liable, if they are decent people, they may assist.

You don't ask, you don't get - simple as that.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
I can tell you what I would say if someone who bought my house, after having an inspection, came back to me complaining about stuff - but I can't print it here.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I can tell you what I would say if someone who bought my house, after having an inspection,
came back to me complaining about stuff - but I can't print it here.
I get the sentiment, but...
but the disclosure LAWS that most of the civilized world have adopted in the last twenty years or so
make it about impossible for an honest seller to NOT reveal that they have had issues with their fifteen year old flat roof.

Which leaves our buyer and his helpers left to determine that whatever is going right now isn't something new
and his inspector is hoping that his qualifying preamble gives him enough cover to have missed it on the first go round.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
[quote=Jdawg8181;51000218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Welcome to homeownership. Call a few roofers for estimates and get it fixed.

Was your roof inspected before you closed?[/quote]

It was and the guy said it was fine. I think the roof is 15 years old... how often do homes usually need roofs replaced?

What kind of material is your roof?

Here is some info on flat roofs:
Rubber Roofing (EPDM) – Pros and Cons of Using Rubber Flat Roofs | Cool Flat Roof

Also, ours is a flat roof... are they more prone to leakage than standard slanted roofs?
Yes flat roofs are more prone to leaking.

Is it leaking in your house in one spot? How much of the ceiling is collapsing? It's possible that you may be able to just repair it and it will be fine but you really need to find out the condition of your whole roof from contractors who are familiar with flat roofs.

After you had an inspection and you closed I would not go back to the previous homeowner. Do you have a home warranty? Maybe you can file an insurance claim? Check into it and good luck.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM

6,426 posts, read 4,920,252 times
The best type of flat roof is the one piece rubber kind. I had roll roofing and it blew off in a storm (in Buffalo NY). I replaced it with a one piece rubber membrane EDPM. Still leak free after almost 10 years.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I'd say it's on the roof inspector. That's the purpose of hiring a roof inspector. ONE MONTH??!!

From my builder other half: Call the Department of Consumer Protection, find out if the inspector was licensed. Varies by state but it's usually one year, if the inspector was licensed & insured, the inspector's insurance should pay for the repairs.

Was the inspector hired by you or the mortgage company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House