Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I always toss out anything remotely "flushable." Except for toilet paper. And then, toilet paper has to be flushed by itself, not with anything else. And it has to be the right size. Otherwise, toilet can overflow and get stopped up and I hate having to fix it each time. Someone can do a humongous poop in there and add toilet paper and it will always back up. So poop separate, flush, then tp, then flush. Or don't use my bathroom.

A toilet should not overflow after one failed flush. The bowl is designed to be large enough to handle that much water. Now if it is backed up and you flush another time it is borderline (depending if any went down before it clogged) I remember having to teach the kids that. (Them helping clean up the mess made the lesson 'stick')

So if your toilet is overflowing every time it clogs there is another problem (tank filling too far, flapper not closing when it should)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There aren't truly "disposable" wipes on the market, yet. It's all FALSE advertising. I think the Cotonelle brand is the closest to really biodegradable wipes.
However Supreme Court won't hear flushable wipes false advertising lawsuit
Some defendants have successfully argued that consumers who gain knowledge that advertising is false lack standing to sue because they may be fooled once by the ads, but if they are fooled a second time, it's at their own peril.
https://blogs.findlaw.com/common_law...g-lawsuit.html
I always wonder about false advertising laws when I see Arby’s commercials. They make it look like those sandwiches or 5 inches high. But when my fiancé and I went to Arby’s and got one of them they were like two pieces of meat on it. The commercial makes me mad every time I see it and I don’t know how they’re allowed to completely lie about what their product looks like.

I don’t flush them either. I put them in the wastebasket. We paid $24,000 for our septic system and taking no chances. I even hide them when we have company over because I don’t trust that people won’t flush them. None of the nursing homes I’ve ever worked in flush them either.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:22 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
A toilet should not overflow after one failed flush. The bowl is designed to be large enough to handle that much water. Now if it is backed up and you flush another time it is borderline (depending if any went down before it clogged) I remember having to teach the kids that. (Them helping clean up the mess made the lesson 'stick')

So if your toilet is overflowing every time it clogs there is another problem (tank filling too far, flapper not closing when it should)

The toilet does not overflow every time it clogs. It just clogs when too much is put into it. Low flow toilets. That is all they allow. My guess is the builder of our house used the cheapest, crappiest toilet they could get. Definitely in the market for a new toilet or 3, since they are all the same in each bathroom. I like the new ones with the push button on top. Seems all my friends are getting them.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:15 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We have a septic system. DH insists on flushing wipes, despite the fact that I have a container of plastic doggie poop bags hanging next to the toilet paper roll. Makes it easy to dispose of wipes.
Where does he think it goes when you have your septic tank pumped? To some municipal waste water facility, most likely, where the wipes clog it up just as if you were on a sewer system.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:04 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Where does he think it goes when you have your septic tank pumped? To some municipal waste water facility, most likely, where the wipes clog it up just as if you were on a sewer system.
I would hope any material from a septic tank would be filtered to remove non-biodegradable stuff before being sent through a water treatment plant.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...-cleaning2.htm

Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
I’m on a septic tank. Nothing goes down into that thing but bodily waste & toilet paper. I don’t even use the garbage disposer.

And I flushed only one tampon in my life. It was in a very old apartment building and after plunging for about a half-hour and then borrowing a snake from the neighbor, that was the last time I tried that.

All the icky stuff goes into dog-poop bags, which then go into recycled grocery bags, which then goes into a large, heavy-duty garbage bag, which I eventually haul with the rest of my garbage & recyclables to the transfer station. The End.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
No and I don't even flush a kleenex anymore. I noticed the would not go down. Weird since it seems like they are the same thing as toilet paper.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The toilet does not overflow every time it clogs. It just clogs when too much is put into it. Low flow toilets. That is all they allow. My guess is the builder of our house used the cheapest, crappiest toilet they could get. Definitely in the market for a new toilet or 3, since they are all the same in each bathroom. I like the new ones with the push button on top. Seems all my friends are getting them.
I have the same problem with one of those early low flow toilets. House was built in 1997 so that is about the time-frame they were being installed.

Sometimes I wonder if we are really saving any money or water. If you have to flush twice instead of once, you are using as much water as the older toilets used to. Also, the faucets that restrict water flow... takes twice as long to rinse my hair or rinse a pot as it used to when I had an older type faucet. (yes the water restricters have been removed but I still get a weak water stream)

Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I live in So. America, and you're lucky to get a toilet SEAT here. Almost nowhere can you flush TP. It's SO easy to forget! (our complex is No. American standards). Same when we went to Europe. Nicer hotels, yeah, but individual places, no TP, even.

But back in the States, we were on septic, and DH wouldn't even let me flush hair out of my hairbrush. He said it wouldn't dissolve. (I didn't want to look at it in the trash, LOL)

In my younger years, I flushed tampons, until we got a septic system. Didn't know better. Should have realized it, since public bathrooms often have those special receptacles.

He uses wipes, and neither of us ever considered flushing them either. I'm going to start another thread about flushing liquidy foods...

Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Bidet add-ons for toilets are really cheap now and simple to install. Much better solution than wipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House