Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Carpets (semi-permanent wall-to-wall) are disgusting. Not only do they harbor and re-emit every foul odor ever present in the house, they also collect up to a 1/4 inch thick layer of skin cells, dust and parasitic bugs and their corpses.

Plushly upholstered furniture is no better. If you must have floofy furniture that looks like it was designed to prevent head injuries and goes all the way to the floor so that you must move it to sweep under it, at least replace it every few years.

I don't get the fascination with wall-to-wall carpet. Hardwood floors are best or tile if you must. Then throw down area rugs such as oriental carpets or equivalent.

That and repainting will go a long way towards deodorizing a living space.
HEy - go post this in my "Do people really keep the carpeting when they buy a used house" thread please. I am being chastized for being afraid of cooties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you must have floofy furniture that looks like it was designed to prevent head injuries and goes all the way to the floor so that you must move it to sweep under it, at least replace it every few years.
What a waste of perfectly good furniture and materials!!!

Quote:
I don't get the fascination with wall-to-wall carpet.
That's OK. I don't get the obsession with obliterating (non-existent) dirt and (non-existent) germs.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a waste of perfectly good furniture and materials!!!
Well I wouldn't be so wasteful. I buy (and make) furniture based on my needs and wants and thus don't have the equivalent of a grody sponge to sit on everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's OK. I don't get the obsession with obliterating (non-existent) dirt and (non-existent) germs.
If you spent several years working for apartment complexes removing carpet and reinstalling carpet like I have, you might have a different opinion on the existence of dirt under those things.

Oh, and there is also the fact that I was diagnosed with asthma after I started that job, and it 'magically went away' after I found a different job just three years later.

If wall-to-wall carpet works for you, great! Lots of people rarely wash their underwear and see no problem with that either.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
I have redone a lot of homes and apartments and I have seen what well maintained carpets and furniture look like and what filth is like.

Most folks do not live with filthy carpets. Yes, sand can work its way down through even the backing on carpet. But if people regularly vac and clean their carpets, they aren't living in filth.

Most of us who have purchased expensive carpet are certainly going to go to the effort of taking care of it properly.

I prefer hardwood floors but that is not always practical. I have laid hardwood floors in 3 houses and it is not only expensive, it is very disruptive.

I also like tile if a home is located in the right part of the country for that to be practical.

Cleanliness is a matter of conscientiousness. To me, it is much easier to maintain hard surfaces. With carpet, it takes more effort, b/c I am going to be extremely conscientious about keeping my carpet clean, from no shoes in the house to regular vacuuming and cleaning. No reason to make blanket statements that all people who have carpeting are living in filth.

As for smokers, washing down surfaces, painting rooms, and cleaning carpets will usually take care of the problem. Old carpet is never going to smell "fresh," smokers or not. Carpet should be replaced based on use, and for most areas of the house, it needs to be replaced much more often than people typically replace it . . . every 5 years is about right for heavily used rooms, when there are kids, pets . . . high quality carpet wh/ is cleaned regularly may last longer, of course.

I have seen carpet looking ragged after only 3 years if there are kids, dogs, cats, and lots of activity in a home.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Not stepping on anyone's feet but ozone attaches a third molecule of oxygen to everything it makes contact with and chemically oxidizes it. Ozone works much better when done correctly like heating up the space to as warm as you can get it before using the machine (cutting off power to everything during use though). Heat increases the oxidization process.

Just a snippet:
Quote:
Ozone decomposes rapidly when dissolved in water. Dissolved ozone decomposes into hydroxyl radicals, one of the strongest oxidants known to science. They are extremely useful in many applications, such as decontamination, disinfection, decolorization, deodorization, and chemical synthesis.

The redox potential is formally known as the Oxidation Reduction Potential, and often referred to as ORP. A higher positive redox potential means that the agent is a stronger oxidant. As shown in the following table, the redox potential of ozone is extremely high. Ozone is a much stronger oxidant than chlorine.

Oxidizing Agent Redox Potential (Volt)
Hydroxyl Radicals
+2.80
Ozone Gas
+2.07
Hydrogen Peroxide
+1.77
Permanganate
+1.67
Chlorine Dioxide
+1.57
Chlorine Gas
+1.36
Oxygen
+1.23
Hypochlorite
+0.94
Ozone Information | Klaris

So, yes, ozone does work since it's a stronger disinfectant that just about everything known to man.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
They sell enzyme sprays that do a very good job breaking down the substances that are causing the odors, be it pet, food, smoke...etc.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
I bought a house in North Carolina that had been home to chain smokers for 40 years. The walls and ceiling were yellow with smoke residue.

I first washed the walls and ceilings with TSP. I then washed them again with Odo-Ban. I also sprayed the carpets and window coverings with the Odo-Ban and allowed everything to dry. I had a few rooms with ugly dated wallpaper and a limited budget, so after the washings, I painted these wall with normal interior latex paint. No Killz or any other treatments.

The odors did not return unlike a dresser I bought that required multiple Odo-Ban treatments over a couple years before becoming odor free.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Ozone machines work ewell if used as they are intended. Its what professional used all the time on smells.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,014,617 times
Tsp?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Tsp?
Trisodium phosphate. It's a cleaning agent & degreaser, among other things. You can find it in most hardware stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House