Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,290 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think it's a lesson-learned for you to hide your valuable and make sure that you watch service people when they come to your house.
There are many, many people who struggle to find a job these days and you could easily put someone's job in jeopardy over an IPOD, not counting having the fact that you do not have any proof.
Even if you called and just inquire about complains against the employee, that would definitely put a black mark on his performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 01:39 PM

155 posts, read 542,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antebellum_Goddess View Post

What does he have to gain?
Obviously a free ipod....

Like I said... I wouldn't put it past anybody... times are tough, you never know what they may be going through at the moment...

The moral of the story? Hide everything!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Pfffttt... just make sure anyone coming into your home is bonded. Maybe your dog at the iPod. It could happen.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
A relative owns a small service company and a customer called him and told him that she thought one of the service guys had stolen a bracelet from her dresser. She had no proof but thought it had to be him. Relative didn't fire the guy because he did not have proof and guy was such a good employee ... so relative waited for proof. A month later the customer calls back - very apologetic and said she found the bracelet. Her 4-year old daughter snuck it off to play dress up and had put it under her bed. I thought it was great the homeowner called back to say "I made a mistake" A lot of people wouldn't have bothered to correct something like that.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Hard to prove...

A friend of mine had some AC work done on her house, and she was home, and one of the guys said he had to go check the vents around the house. He went into their bedroom. The men left, nothing was taken... then.

A couple of weeks later, during the day, their house was broken into, or should I say, they got in through an unlocked kitchen window in the back, one that she said they never use, and was always locked.

Then the criminal(s) went to the bedroom and took a jewelery box, no one could have even known about it unless they had prior knowledge, it was not in the open, it was in a closet, and that closet happened to have a vent right above it.

Not saying the AC guy did it, but it was very suspicious. She lost a his and her Rolex set, some diamond earings, and cocktail rings and other jewelry all worth about 25K. She could not do anything, and only received about 5K from the insurance company.

Keep your valuables locked up!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I think it's going to be "suck it up, lesson learned." I'm hoping the thing will still turn up. I do not plan to call & report him, but I also won't be using this company again if the ipod never turns up. Not an ideal solution since it hurts the business, but I don't feel right accusing someone when I don't know for sure.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
I think it's very possible he took it. Sure times are tough, and it's hard to find a job. But obviously he has a job. See a nice new ipod on a desk? No one's around? Snatch it up and pawn it later. Free money. I don't put anything past anyone.

I had a roomba at my old house. Used it quite often in the beginning, then tapered off on it use. Then one day I realized I hadn't used it a long time, mainly because I had hired a cleaning service since I worked full time. Went looking for the roomba - couldn't find it. Turned the house upside down. Couldn't find it. I had the charger housing for it, and the 2 infrared barrier pieces to it, but not the actual roomba itself. When we began packing because we were moving into a new house, I thought - Now I will finally find that thing. Never did. Pretty sure a maid took it. Why?? No clue. But how else could it have gotten lost? It's not something I would take out of the house.

Never put anything past anybody.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
My next door neighbors had a alarm system & bugler bars installed on the windows about a week or 2 later there house was broken into it was the same guys that installed the alarm system this was like 25 to 30 yrs ago

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Robbed of a home run?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
We always check our windows. We started that back when we sold our first home. You never see or know who comes thru your home so after every showing we checked to make sure every window and door was locked.
I would be hesitant to complain afraid of retaliation. You never know when that person could go off and return to your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: