Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times

Advertisements

If there are two lanes that turn right is it legal to make a right turn on red from either lane? I see people do this all the time and it would be illegal in Florida but I don't know about Texas. In Florida only the rightmost lane would be legal to make a turn from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Honestly I don't know the real answer, but in that situation I'd do a right on red because like you said, that is what traffic is doing.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,901 times
I only see the right most lane do it and even then you have to pay attention because I know around here there are signs posted no turn on red. Also at some lights they have the cameras and you have to make sure you come to a complete stop even if there are ZERO cars around before making the right turn on red or you will receive a good driver award! Hubby received one so now we know better.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 PM

99 posts, read 367,687 times
It's illegal in Texas, too, by the same reasoning: the only legal turn on red is into the nearest lane.

There are some signs in some places that turning on red is legal only from the right lane (esp inside the Houston city limits), but many people just ignore those signs as well and turn on red from the middle lanes, too (Allen Pkwy @ Waugh, I-10 @ Washington, to name two).

When you think about it, it's very dangerous. You're turning across two lanes of oncoming traffic and you're blocking the view of the person in the far right lane who is (very likely) also trying to turn right.

This is a total pet peeve of mine, too, because my house is on the opposite side of an intersection where most traffic volume is eastbound turning right onto a southbound road towards a freeway. There are two right turn lanes and many many people don't even bother fully stopping at the light before they turn. They don't see pedestrians, they don't see the oncoming traffic, and usually, they don't see the left-turning traffic on the other side of the intersection and just turn right in front of them. They just get to the intersection, slow down, and turn right, even from the middle lanes... and then they look shocked when I honk at them as they pull in front of me turning left onto the same road. Morons.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonmather0 View Post
It's illegal in Texas, too, by the same reasoning: the only legal turn on red is into the nearest lane.
The Texas Transportation Code does not address it specifically which probably means it is legal although an officer could always use the catch-all "reckless driving" offense.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Generally you will find this if the right lane is a turn right only lane and the middle lane is a go straight or turn right combo lane. And generally people do it. Sometimes there are speicific signs that say No Right On Red. Otherwise most people will turn from either lane.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
I've read in the past that it is illegal. That you can only turn from the rightmost lane, regardless of whether the 2nd rightmost lane can legally turn right or not.

I tend to believe this, and would never do it. Just looking for a ticket (IMHO). Plus unsafe, as cm0 points out.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've read in the past that it is illegal. That you can only turn from the rightmost lane, regardless of whether the 2nd rightmost lane can legally turn right or not.

I tend to believe this, and would never do it. Just looking for a ticket (IMHO). Plus unsafe, as cm0 points out.
I would stem to guess that it's not "illegal" given that I have seen signs that explicitly say NO Right Turn On Red (being 2 lanes or not). THere's one of these signs down the street from me. The right lane is turn only, the middle lane is right turn or straight. I have also seen signs that specifically say Right On Red From Right Lane Only. There is a sign like this in downtown right near Minute Maid Park. If it were illegal, then there not be these particular signs.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
ok: TWO lanes designed to turn right , and no sign saying " no right turn on red" or yellow arrow. ( I didn't see such intersection, but...) , for the driver on the rightmost lane - no problem, but what driver on the second line should do? ( He also wants to turn right ) Wait for green? If yes, then there is no sense to mark two lanes with the right turn arrow...

Old 10-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
ok: TWO lanes designed to turn right , and no sign saying " no right turn on red" or yellow arrow. ( I didn't see such intersection, but...) , for the driver on the rightmost lane - no problem, but what driver on the second line should do? ( He also wants to turn right ) Wait for green? If yes, then there is no sense to mark two lanes with the right turn arrow...
We posted at the same time! There is this exact intersection at Kingwood Dr. and 59N. Going North on 59, and you exit Kingwood Dr, the 2 right lanes are Right Turn Only (designated by arrows). There is no sign saying you can't turn on a red from either lane. Cars turn right from both lanes all the time, including police cars (which I have witnessed).

Given your scenario, and my reasoning - you can turn right on red from the inner lane if all is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston