Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 PM

114 posts, read 253,200 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are looking for some new restaurants. We know what all the big-name ones are that are supposed to be good, but we love finding new hidden gems that you might overlook if driving by them. What's everyone else's favorites?

My vote is Tortas El Angel in the Heights, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Taqueria Cancun , Gessner & Kempwood. I love that place, true hole in the wall...

How diverse are you? There are many nationalities in Houston so the list is about to get bigger if you're really open minded

Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
There is this Mexican place called El Club Restaurant. It's about as hole in the wall as I have ever been. Juke Joints are the only thing more hole in the wall. I only went for lunch one day, but it was pretty good. I actually just looked it up on Google after never knowing the name, haha. I won't vouch since I haven't been since 2008. I am looking forward to going. Just be able to speak basic, basic English, and watch Telemundo. It was real Mexican food! If someone could point me in the direction of real Mexican food, I will be the happiest person ever. Please don't mention Tex-Mex, I grew up here.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Okay about my other post. Don't go to El Club Restaurant. I looked it up a little more, and there are all kinds of bad things happening there. I will have to check it out, and see if it is under new management. Heck I need to see if it's still standing. Check the link below to understand.

Authorities Raid 2 Houston Businesses (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110217-clinton-drive-businesses-raid - broken link)

Feds Break Up Mexican Sex Slave Ring In Houston --->

Don't want to get this thread off topic, so if anyone can direct me to a Mexican restaurant that serves real Mexican food, I would be very happy.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,344 times
If you like tortas you might like Mexico's Deli Tortas & Tacos on Dairy Ashford.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapasmurf76 View Post
Me and my wife are looking for some new restaurants. We know what all the big-name ones are that are supposed to be good, but we love finding new hidden gems that you might overlook if driving by them. What's everyone else's favorites?

My vote is Tortas El Angel in the Heights, btw.
Tex Chick...Puerto Rican restaurant in Houston.
Best food north of Puerto Rico and South of NYC!

712 1/2 Fairview St
Houston, TX 77006

Old 07-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Now that I didn't know and I must try. Thx mate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Tex Chick...Puerto Rican restaurant in Houston.
Best food north of Puerto Rico and South of NYC!

712 1/2 Fairview St
Houston, TX 77006

Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Hankering for something other than Mexican??

Everyone's definition of hole in the wall is different. Mine is incredible quality food, in a single owner establishment, usually tucked in the an old, strip mall atmosphere.

Bistro Provence.Looks like Hole in the Wall location. Prices are moderate, the food authentic.
Cafe Lili. Lebanese. Strip mall location. However, the strip mall got a facelift, so it's doesn't look as seedy as it used to
Sushi Jin. Best sushi in town without the pretense, stuck in a far western memorial in an old strip center. The owner is also the main seafood supplier to the other sushi places in town.
Buger Shack on Memorial. Hankering for something better than 5 Guys and Smashburger. This is the spot.
Midway BBQ in Old Katy. You can't get more hole in the wall than this. Connected to the deer processing facility and grocery, this is one of the best BBQ meals in the metro
Yo Momma. soul food
Polonia. Polish food. Actually it's the only place in town.
Barbecue Inn. Best Fried Chicken around...need I say more?
Chinese Cafe. Richmond and the loop. Great food, great price, not American Chinese food.
Sylvia's on Westhimer. I mean if you have to go Mexican (the real thing not lardas* Texican fare) this is the place to go.

Ps- I still miss Cafe Miami for Cuban. I haven't found anything to replace it.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,977 times
Classic Kitchen, for good & cheap Chinese dishes. Located in the strip mall to the right of the Golden Foods supermarket, on Bellaire at the SH tollway.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM

Very good list. I love trying new places. Cafe Lili, the owners are very good friends of mine. We went together to a wedding in Beirut,to a common friend of ours. Beautiful place

Polonia is good also. Did they move in the new building next to their grocery shop. I love buying their meats, smoked,sausage from their store. Feels like home.

[
QUOTE=EasilyAmused;20255163]Hankering for something other than Mexican??

Everyone's definition of hole in the wall is different. Mine is incredible quality food, in a single owner establishment, usually tucked in the an old, strip mall atmosphere.

Bistro Provence.Looks like Hole in the Wall location. Prices are moderate, the food authentic.
Cafe Lili. Lebanese. Strip mall location. However, the strip mall got a facelift, so it's doesn't look as seedy as it used to
Sushi Jin. Best sushi in town without the pretense, stuck in a far western memorial in an old strip center. The owner is also the main seafood supplier to the other sushi places in town.
Buger Shack on Memorial. Hankering for something better than 5 Guys and Smashburger. This is the spot.
Midway BBQ in Old Katy. You can't get more hole in the wall than this. Connected to the deer processing facility and grocery, this is one of the best BBQ meals in the metro
Yo Momma. soul food
Polonia. Polish food. Actually it's the only place in town.
Barbecue Inn. Best Fried Chicken around...need I say more?
Chinese Cafe. Richmond and the loop. Great food, great price, not American Chinese food.
Sylvia's on Westhimer. I mean if you have to go Mexican (the real thing not lardas* Texican fare) this is the place to go.

Ps- I still miss Cafe Miami for Cuban. I haven't found anything to replace it.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston