Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
So who are the most plugged in agents in the SBISD side of the zip? I've read Clint Simpson many times in this thread and other West Memorial threads, but who else should I interview?

My wife and I will be looking here when the Spring inventory comes up. We'd like to stay VERY close to 400K and above 2500 sqft for a move in condition (or under 400K all in with a renovation) so I'm afraid it's going to be a very difficult search, so I need someone that can navigate those parameters for us in the area.

Carter Bred, Carol Waldrop, Victoria Vatterott. But Clint does get the most pre-market. Very tough bracket to buy into.

Awesome news about all those apartments. Hopefully Tully complex owners will take note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,230 times
Is Nottingham Forest completely unattainable near 400K? Here is this listing under contract:

510 Briar Knoll Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

That aside from a kitchen update this would be tolerable to live in without upgrades. Is the belief that this home is under contract at at least the asking price? Seems like a good street to be on.

This one is in Wilchester West and the front elevation is poor but otherwise interior looks decent:

602 W Patchester Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

There was also this one that closed recently in NF. Smaller than we want but a beautifully updated home:

14543 BROADGREEN DR,HOUSTON, 77079-6505 - home value - HAR.com

I think we may have to compromise by being on a busy street, but my research indicates it's not completely hopeless.

I can afford 500K, but don't want to go that high. Lesson learned from my parents about homes, buy beneath your means and buy the cheapest house in the neighborhood. They've done very well doing that and I want to do the same.

Edit: And I'm not really worried about "overly" diverse elementary schools (My wife and I are minorities ourselves). Any of them in SBISD are fine with me.

Last edited by Failed Engineer; 01-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Adding schooling preferences

Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,892 times
Given that you're willing to compromise on condition (and have a little wiggle room on price and space), I would imagine you could add Nottingham forest, ashford forest and westchester to the list, but you'll have to jump on the good ones (and obviously be in with a good presale agent). Watch out for fault lines and water damage though. Those are hidden problems that cost alot of money. Good luck.

That wilchester west find will rarely be duplicated because most houses are larger there and the price per sqft approaches 200 on many good condition homes.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM

WW house is most likely on the fault line and will be a rebuild.

Houses west of Dairy Ashford is where you have your best shot. Many never saw the massive remodels because their values lagged behind those to the east..
Well...its all changing now.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
On your budget East of Kirkwood is unrealistic but $450k should easily get you into an reasonably updated house in Nottingham Forest 8 / Westchester (west of Diary Ashford). It will be more a stretch in Nottingham Forest / Ashford Forest (east of Diary Ashford) but still very doable.

Clint Simpson does not feature west of Kirkwood, the listing he has at the moment is an outlier and I suspect I know why he has it. East of Kirkwood he's the man. Note also he is a SELLERS agent, you need a buyers agent to represent you. I know one who works Wilchester who can get you on the "Clint list" if your still interested. Otherwise PM me and I can give you my take on the buyer/seller agents in Nottingham Forest.

Oh, and don't be tempted to buy on or backing to a busy street or backing onto commercial, even in this neighborhood they take months to sell when other houses take days, just imagine trying to unload one in tough times.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:02 PM

23 posts, read 38,641 times
New to Houston, we are a relocation couple having 2 year olds wanting to get into Wilchester elementary in 77079 but seems the bidding war never ends. and when I flipped over page 1, it started 2 years ago (or maybe even more)...Our budget is 400k and after 2 months of watching I am hopeless... I see someone mentions Nottingham forest, but not sure about meadow wood, can someone comment on that school?

We also looked at 77077 zone to Barbara Bush elementary, thought we may spend a good chunk of years there then move once the kids finish elementary school, any advices? That school looks good on the paper at least.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Meadowood is great. Brand new campus, huge parental involvement, with single family homes starting at 400k and up.

Yes, its getting hard to get in at 400k, and it won't get any easier. Sections West of Dairy Ashford are zoned to a different elem, and are currently more in your range.Good luck to you.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-30-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Good luck, I think we will avoid this area as a bidding war now makes me think this area is nearing it's highest entry point. It'll be difficult to command more than $500k as most dual income families start getting priced out. I'm sure this area will appreciate for another year or so, but what happens if the Oil & Gas takes a downturn or if interest rates increase?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM

23 posts, read 38,641 times
Thanks for your reply. I guess medow wood is as hot as wilchester elem. I agree with the above post am backing off...77077 is my second choice with Barbara Bush.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I would go 77079 KISD over 77077 to Bush and the schools it feeds. Or at least view those as close to an even choice.... tell me why KISD schools are less than HISD schools in 77077.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston