Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

41 posts, read 186,949 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Houston area this summer and so far we are leaning towards the Katy area. We have two kids and the Katy schools look great which is a big draw for us. The community we are most intrigued by right now is Cinco Ranch. I was blown away by all of the ammenities they offer, but I am also a little hesitant that it would feel too much like a resort and that the pools and parks would be overly crowded with so many residents. Does anyone have an opinion on this? We plan to visit in March and check out all of the areas, but some input ahead of time would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
The first thing people on here will ask you is where you or your spouse is going to work. That's the huge deciding factor on where to live in Houston. Houston (and surrounding areas) have lots of fantastic neighborhoods, with lots of great school districts/schools, and wonderful ammenities.

I personally don't see the draw of Cinco Ranch/Katy. I don't think it's pretty out that way, and it's got way too much traffic, and traffic is only getting worse. There are some deals to be had I'm sure. But it's not my cup of tea.

But Sugar Land/Friendswood/Pearland and Katy are growing very rapidly. And they have a lot to offer. And Cinco Ranch is very nice. I can't personally atest to how crowded the pool gets though!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM

42 posts, read 107,458 times
We relocated back to Houston this summer and live in Cinco SW. I wouldn't say it is a resort feel, the amenities are obviously very nice. The pools are busy in the summer, but overcrowded is not a word I would use. This is in part due to so many homeowners having their own pools. The draw for us was the way the HOA maintains the common grounds and streets, they are beautiful year round. In addition, we didn't want to have to worry about the home losing value over time and Cinco historically always appreciates. You pay for what you get in this case and above all it's a known quantity and a reasonable assurance it will stay this way into the future.

Having said that, there are many nice areas in South Katy or even Fulshear (Cross Creek). What budget are looking to stay in? I hate to pry, but knowing that the group can likely make other suggestions to keep your options open.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 186,949 times
Thank you both for your input. We have not made an official decision on the area yet, so it's nice to get feedback from local residents. My husband will most likely be working in downtown Houston. I am definitely concerned that Katy may not be as aesthetically pleasing as I had envisioned while searching homes. This is one big reason we are anxious to get down there and see these areas in person. We plan to rent for the first 6 months, but our budget will be around $300k when we purchase our home. (criteria 4bd, 2500sf min, decent size lot)

There's so much information out there it's a little overwhelming trying to sort through it all online. If you have any suggestions on other areas I would be very grateful for the information. Thanks again!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM

42 posts, read 107,458 times
I'll be honest, down town is a haul from Katy/Cinco. There are a fair amount of people doing it though. I have some friends that live in Cinco and work at Shell which is located downtown. I would guess an hour each way, maybe longer on the way home. Your price point should make the choice a bit easier, remember though while homes in TX are reasonable depending on where you live the property taxes are unreal. We pay 3.75% I believe it is.

Good luck

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,908 times
Also check out Seven Meadows and Grand Lakes. Both are just south of the newer parts of Cinco Ranch and a bit closer to the Parkway. We are also checking out these areas. My favorite was Grand Lakes phase 4 but it's out of our price range.

In all of these areas we saw lots of kids and families. We even saw someone who had left a very fancy stroller in their walkway, a sign that they feel safe in the area. Also check out the HOA websites for all 3 communities. They all have many amenities and community events.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:39 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
If your working downtown you should look at Kingwood and Atascocita areas (Eagle Springs, Fall Creek, Summerwood), they typically have the fastest commute from any of the main suburbs. Zip codes 77339, 77346 and 77365 (Oakhurst only).

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,908 times
The amenities are spread out so I don't think they ever get too crowded, and as far as the aesthetics I would check out the photo albums all 3 HOAs have on their sites. Also google streetview is a big help.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

302 posts, read 955,508 times
I live in Cinco and work downtown... Take the express bus everyday and love it... your husband will too...

The pools will be closed when you come in March, they only open from Memorial Day and late september (a reason why many people have their own pool) Do they get crowded, yes, especially on the weekends, but there are so many of them and you can find your sweet spot... whether you like the beach club with real sand or the water park, many many choices...

Your budget of 300K for a 4bd 2500sq ft home is right on par with cinco, you'll probably be able to get away with even closer to 200-225k... if you look at some of the surrounding neighborhoods right next to cinco, you'll get 10-15% more home for your money... but you won't have access to the pools... (or the bill that comes with it...) but I'm sure you can get a very nice pool in your own back yard...

If you have any questions, let me know...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
This article points out the average commute from Cinco... just for a little perspective:

Cinco Ranch has worst Houston commuter travel - Houston Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston