Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:54 PM

683 posts, read 834,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post
I would disagree with the blanket statement that Cali doesn't have authentic Mexican. In a city that would be the second largest Mexican population if it were located in Mexico (Los Angeles) I guarantee you, you can find the real stuff.
And yet for some reason you don't have the same respect for the Mexican population in Texas.

What you are talking about are regional variations and personal preferences.

Nothing wrong with preferring Mexi-Cali over Tex-Mex. Closed minded to call one or the other real Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsL1215 View Post
My cousin grew up here but moved to Maryland in her teens. She visits every year and the first thing she wants to do as soon as the plane touches down is go out for tex mex.
I LOVE Tex Mex!!!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
CA Mexican food is not real Mexican food. Tex-mex is Tex-mex. you will find a plethora of authentic mexican food here. gotta get out of the burbs though

a "wet burrito" being authentic Mexican food? 1. we dont eat burritos 2. what the heck does wet mean? Smothered in some type of tomato gravy and cheese is not Mexican

Old 09-30-2012, 06:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
I don't understand for the life of me why anybody would expect Cali style mexican food in Texas? It's a world outside of Cali

Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 49,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I LOVE Tex Mex!!!
me too!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
lol. for someone to come in craving cali mex food is amusing. i lived out there last year and could not find a place that even came close to any mexican food places here. yes, there were a few good ones but nothing that had me going back except one in pasadena, bc they had their taco tuesday specials but i didnt consider it anything that authentic or amazing.

el torito?? no way jose. at least you didnt mention 'kings taco'. people out there would rave about it and when i tried it thought it was pretty gross. cali also doesnt know about "queso", just tacos and their carne asada; But carne 'guisada' is way better. maybe that can be your new "wet burrito" ?

chachos i enjoy, and tacos del julio off of airline is very authentic but prob wouldnt consider it tex mex. to move here and be craving cali mex is ridic when theres so many better mexican food options. many others could prob add more places.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
I've never tried this place but it sounds like it might offer authentic Mexican food.

Welcome to Hugos Mexican Restaurant - Houston, TX

Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Hugos is decent there are better closer to real mexican food places

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,991 times
I'm Mexican American and I grew up eating this stuff. My Mom's family owned and ran a Mexican restaurant back in the day so I was exposed to quite a bit of Mexican food growing up. I can't recommend anything CA style here in Houston besides the new Del-Taco off Westheimer, ha!, but I find CA Mexican food closer to Americanized Mexican than anything else. It's fine for what it is, but it's simply not true Mexican food. Hell, the burrito was invented in California for petes sake. I can recommend some amazingly good authentic Mexican food though...not Tex Mex like Chuy's, Chacho's or Doneraki's, but good, old fashioned Mexican food where you can buy a heaping bowl of menudo, taquitos, carnitas, barbacoa, you name it! Put simply, if a Mexican were to cross the border and land in Houston, these eateries would not feel any different compared to what he would get back home.

Here's my list of a few that I really love...not near complete, but pretty damn good IMO. Also, prepare your palette, because these joints don't alter the Mexican recipes for American taste buds. This is the real stuff.

Tortillerias La Reyna #5 @ Gessner and Westpark dr - no place to sit, you just walk up to the cashier, take your order and leave...like the soup nazi. I recommend getting a side of sour cream. It's to die for. Also, their corn tortillas will melt in your mouth...they sell 1lb of them for a buck. Try the carnitas!!! They just fall apart on the fork...

Edit.. I can't believe I forgot this one! Mexico's Deli @ S Dairy Ashford Rd - Mexican's LOVE their sammiches..er, TORTAS!! This is hands down one of the best places to have a damn tasty (and massively sized) Mexican Torta. Add chorizo to it, and you have a real meal on your hands. I recommend getting a cup of cilantro or pablano soup!!!!! I could drink that stuff out of a glass...it's so freaking unreal!!!! They have an endless menu of tortas waiting to be tried....literally, the entire right wall of this place is the entire menu of sandwich combinations. Also, a single sandwich is massive. So massive, that they have to cut it in half and stack it on itself to fit on the dang plate!!

Tacos La Carreta Asaderos off Richmond - really good selection, their 'chile' (salsa for most of you) is outstanding. Try the menudo or my favorite, queso flameado (I recommend only eating flour with this plate..so Godly).

Mambo Seafood off Hillcroft - Damn, really good Mexican style seafood if you go for the hardcore stuff. I noticed recently that they changed their menu to cater to Tex Mex a little, but their bread and butter is still there. Oh, and you MUST try their michelada at least once. It's the best I've ever had. Order it with Tecate beer...it pairs perfectly. You can actually buy the michelada mix by the gallon (it looked like a gallon when they showed it to me). Will only last for a week though, so make sure you have some friends to help you drink it

Taqueria Arandas @ 45s - Been a Houston staple for quite some time now, and it's damn good. I havent been a while since it's out of my territory, but I hear that they 'still got it!', despite their menu expanding to non traditional items. They even offer a 'California burrito', ha! Anyways, cheap and awesome. Their service is spectacular. Must check out their bakery!!!! Mexican baked breads are the bomb, and with some hot coffee in the morning or late at night, you'll be in heaven. If you do happen to buy some of their sweet breads, this is how you do it. Get the aluminum serving tray and tonsils, pile on the bread and prepare your wallet because he'll be happy (it could be a she..) that you spent less then ten bux on a grocery bag full of delicious pan dulce heaped to the top...!!!

My Mom's house!! - nuff said

There's SO MANY MORE out there, but I can hardly remember their names. I hope that these recommendations help you out on your journey. There is so much more great Mexican food out there beyond the CA boundaries.

Happy eating!!

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 09-30-2012 at 11:40 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:33 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I'm Mexican American and I grew up eating this stuff. My Mom's family owned and ran a Mexican restaurant back in the day so I was exposed to quite a bit of Mexican food growing up. I can't recommend anything CA style here in Houston besides the new Del-Taco off Westheimer, ha!, but I find CA Mexican food closer to Americanized Mexican than anything else. It's fine for what it is, but it's simply not true Mexican food. Hell, the burrito was invented in California for petes sake. I can recommend some amazingly good authentic Mexican food though...not Tex Mex like Chuy's, Chacho's or Doneraki's, but good, old fashioned Mexican food where you can buy a heaping bowl of menudo, taquitos, carnitas, barbacoa, you name it! Put simply, if a Mexican were to cross the border and land in Houston, these eateries would not feel any different compared to what he would get back home.

Here's my list of a few that I really love...not near complete, but pretty damn good IMO. Also, prepare your palette, because these joints don't alter the Mexican recipes for American taste buds. This is the real stuff.

Tortillerias La Reyna #5 @ Gessner and Westpark dr - no place to sit, you just walk up to the cashier, take your order and leave...like the soup nazi. I recommend getting a side of sour cream. It's to die for. Also, their corn tortillas will melt in your mouth...they sell 1lb of them for a buck. Try the carnitas!!! They just fall apart on the fork...

Edit.. I can't believe I forgot this one! Mexico's Deli @ S Dairy Ashford Rd - Mexican's LOVE their sammiches..er, TORTAS!! This is hands down one of the best places to have a damn tasty (and massively sized) Mexican Torta. Add chorizo to it, and you have a real meal on your hands. I recommend getting a cup of cilantro or pablano soup!!!!! I could drink that stuff out of a glass...it's so freaking unreal!!!! They have an endless menu of tortas waiting to be tried....literally, the entire right wall of this place is the entire menu of sandwich combinations. Also, a single sandwich is massive. So massive, that they have to cut it in half and stack it on itself to fit on the dang plate!!

Tacos La Carreta Asaderos off Richmond - really good selection, their 'chile' (salsa for most of you) is outstanding. Try the menudo or my favorite, queso flameado (I recommend only eating flour with this plate..so Godly).

Mambo Seafood off Hillcroft - Damn, really good Mexican style seafood if you go for the hardcore stuff. I noticed recently that they changed their menu to cater to Tex Mex a little, but their bread and butter is still there. Oh, and you MUST try their michelada at least once. It's the best I've ever had. Order it with Tecate beer...it pairs perfectly. You can actually buy the michelada mix by the gallon (it looked like a gallon when they showed it to me). Will only last for a week though, so make sure you have some friends to help you drink it

Taqueria Arandas @ 45s - Been a Houston staple for quite some time now, and it's damn good. I havent been a while since it's out of my territory, but I hear that they 'still got it!', despite their menu expanding to non traditional items. They even offer a 'California burrito', ha! Anyways, cheap and awesome. Their service is spectacular. Must check out their bakery!!!! Mexican baked breads are the bomb, and with some hot coffee in the morning or late at night, you'll be in heaven. If you do happen to buy some of their sweet breads, this is how you do it. Get the aluminum serving tray and tonsils, pile on the bread and prepare your wallet because he'll be happy (it could be a she..) that you spent less then ten bux on a grocery bag full of delicious pan dulce heaped to the top...!!!

My Mom's house!! - nuff said

There's SO MANY MORE out there, but I can hardly remember their names. I hope that these recommendations help you out on your journey. There is so much more great Mexican food out there beyond the CA boundaries.

Happy eating!!
Looks like I got some new places to check out THX!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston