Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 AM

163 posts, read 450,144 times

Advertisements

Looks like the pool at the Design Place apartments I lived at in Miami. The pool was always over run by 20 and 30 year olds on the weekend.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
So are we saying that Houston is not as affordable as Houstonians will have outsiders believe?

The demand is there for people to live inside the loop, because there are recent grads and young professionals in Houston that have money to waste on the fancy amenities and "Houston sized" apartments.

But wasn't the great attraction of Houston the fact that you can get all this in a desirable area for a huge discount compared to other major cities?
I see you are still struggling to name these "better cities". LOL. The suburbs of Houston are on avg 1/3rd the cost of suburbs in the northeast and the west coast and the inner loop is on avg 1/2 the cost of the nice urban areas on the east coast and west coast. So yes, Houston is still far cheaper. It's not even close really. This coming from a guy who actually HAS lived in these "other" cities.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Hmm lets see.. Chicago is a city I know fairly well so let me post some places about that..

Business center w/ free WI-FI *Coffee Bar *On site laundry facility
And thats with an amazing view!

Not as modern as some of the others, but an amazing location!

DONT MISS!Limited time offer for apts in this wonderfull building!

A little more than $1200 but the added views make up for it..

Best priced 1 Bdr/1Bth Apt! Now!

And this is all in a city with ample public transportation that would, depending on where they work, theoretically relieve people the burdens of owning a car. And these neighborhoods are much more walking friendly, and you have downtown in your backyard, with some places having AMAZING views.

If you want we can compare the prices of Houston highrises and Chicago highrises, you would be surprised at how close the prices actually are, just ask for those and I shall provide.
Dude, I live in Chicago. On the north side to be exact. I also used to live in the south loop. The south loop sucks! Don't even compare that to the inner loop. The other two places you listed are tiny and offer almost none of the amenities most apts in Houston offer.

Look, I know Chicago like the back of my hand. I have lived here for 9 years. Good one bedroom apts in good neighborhoods are 1500 to start. But even those apts are small and offer very few extras. Certainly don't have pools! You have to understand that in a city like Chicago or any large city for that matter, location matters. Here in Chicago, proximity to the El Train or express buses are the most desirable because 6 months out of the year it's a frozen tundra! So if you are willing to live far away from easy mass transit and away from the lake and away from the more dense and cool areas, yes, you can find something like you posted for 1200 to 1300 for a "small" one bedroom. Trust me though, you do NOT want to do that. I live on Sheridan Rd on the north side in a nice dense area. The express bus stops at my door. One bedrooms in my building start at 1500 and they are about 1/2 the size of most Houston apts. Now go 5 blocks west and my same apt would be about 1200. But in the winter, walking in the snow and wind, it makes a big difference. Trust me on this, as a guy who is living in Chicago now and moving to Houston because it is so much cheaper, there is no comparison.

But the thing you have to keep in mind is, if one is willing in any large city to make large compromises like living in bad areas, having a small apt, or having roommates, of course you can get the cost down. The thing with Houston is I don't HAVE to do that. I can live in a nice, safe area with a large apt and no roommates for LESS.

Heck man, I had a buddy that lived in Beverly Hills for less then a Houston inner loop apt. But he shared a small room far away from the main streets. You can always get creative. But that's besides the point.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Hmm lets see.. Chicago is a city I know fairly well so let me post some places about that..

Business center w/ free WI-FI *Coffee Bar *On site laundry facility
And thats with an amazing view!

Not as modern as some of the others, but an amazing location!

DONT MISS!Limited time offer for apts in this wonderfull building!

A little more than $1200 but the added views make up for it..

Best priced 1 Bdr/1Bth Apt! Now!

And this is all in a city with ample public transportation that would, depending on where they work, theoretically relieve people the burdens of owning a car. And these neighborhoods are much more walking friendly, and you have downtown in your backyard, with some places having AMAZING views.

If you want we can compare the prices of Houston highrises and Chicago highrises, you would be surprised at how close the prices actually are, just ask for those and I shall provide.
Here, let me help you out since I'm such a nice guy. Let's make an apples to apples comparison here. After all, I can find one bedroom apts in Houston for $500 a month if I want to make a lot of sacrifices.

Let's compare a nice inner loop apt like the one I posted on this thread with Eugenie Terrace. I live pretty close to this place. It's in a nice area and the building actually offers much of the same amenities as many inner loop apts.

One bedrooms here are a little on the small side but we'll let that go for now.

Eugenie Terrace on the Park ♦ Amenities

This unit here is $1945.

Outstanding 1 bed, 1 bath in Old Town's Eugenie Terrace

On avg they go for about 1800 to 2500 depending on your view and how high up you are. This building is rather old now and tenants have a lot of complaints which you can read on the web. But this is a good metric. Good area, safe, in the middle of everything and has a pool.

Now, can you find a cheaper place? Of course you can. Just as I explained to georgiatochina guy, if one wants to start making compromises, you can lower the price a lot. But then you are not a big swinging d*ck anymore are ya? LOL. Of course I can live in bumble f*ck Queens 65 subway stops from Manhattan and sure I could live in the South Loop in Chicago which is completely devoid of life and culture. But then again, we know we can do the same with Houston to so what's the point in that right?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 AM

561 posts, read 972,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Here, let me help you out since I'm such a nice guy. Let's make an apples to apples comparison here. After all, I can find one bedroom apts in Houston for $500 a month if I want to make a lot of sacrifices.

Let's compare a nice inner loop apt like the one I posted on this thread with Eugenie Terrace. I live pretty close to this place. It's in a nice area and the building actually offers much of the same amenities as many inner loop apts.

One bedrooms here are a little on the small side but we'll let that go for now.

Eugenie Terrace on the Park ♦ Amenities

This unit here is $1945.

Outstanding 1 bed, 1 bath in Old Town's Eugenie Terrace

On avg they go for about 1800 to 2500 depending on your view and how high up you are. This building is rather old now and tenants have a lot of complaints which you can read on the web. But this is a good metric. Good area, safe, in the middle of everything and has a pool.

Now, can you find a cheaper place? Of course you can. Just as I explained to georgiatochina guy, if one wants to start making compromises, you can lower the price a lot. But then you are not a big swinging d*ck anymore are ya? LOL. Of course I can live in bumble f*ck Queens 65 subway stops from Manhattan and sure I could live in the South Loop in Chicago which is completely devoid of life and culture. But then again, we know we can do the same with Houston to so what's the point in that right?
Ok now where is the other apple you're comparing it to? Find a highrise in Houston with all those amenities and tell me how much that costs.

And I would like you to compare the lake-front view and the beach within walking distance, oh wait you cant, but since its cold and miserable and amazing in the summer(and Houston is exactly the inverse), but since I too am a nice guy I will call it even.

And the neighborhoods like wrigleyville, lincoln park, lake shore drive, michigan avenue, etc. etc. are something Houston can't exactly imitate, no matter how much the developers want to build and convince the masses that it is.

But if you cant understand that, then hijacking your own thread has proven to be an extremely futile activity.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Ok now where is the other apple you're comparing it to? Find a highrise in Houston with all those amenities and tell me how much that costs.

And I would like you to compare the lake-front view and the beach within walking distance, oh wait you cant, but since its cold and miserable and amazing in the summer(and Houston is exactly the inverse), but since I too am a nice guy I will call it even.

And the neighborhoods like wrigleyville, lincoln park, lake shore drive, michigan avenue, etc. etc. are something Houston can't exactly imitate, no matter how much the developers want to build and convince the masses that it is.

But if you cant understand that, then hijacking your own thread has proven to be an extremely futile activity.

Lake front view? Hahahahahahaha. Double the cost dude. You're looking west I guarantee it. If you want a view of the lake from a high floor, these apts run close to 3k a month!!!!! Come on man, You can't BS me like you can the rest of the houston board because I know better, I live here. I know what apts cost because I live in one here!!!!!! LOL. Honestly, I can post 500 apts in Houston like this one, that's the problem. There are too many to post.

Look, I've said this once and I'll say it again. Any large city you can manipulate your cost of living to fit into whatever budget you want. Can you live in Chicago for a $500 a month? Yes you can!!!! I had a buddy l use to trade with in NY that lived in a room in Spanish Harlem for $300 a month!! Living the life dude!

The point is how much does it cost to get the same in both cities. I can show you a lot of apts in Houston that are 1k a month that are 800 to 1k sq feet with pool, business center, safe area, newer building, etc.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Here you go, this took one second.

Upper Kirby Look at this 1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom Unit

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM

One Bedroom in Houston Galleria

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Downtown Urban Walk to all the NiGhtLifE

Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM

561 posts, read 972,873 times
Hmm since when did 6 story apartment buildings qualify as high rises?

There are unique neighborhoods and things that cannot be imitated in Chicago, things that should and do push the price of living up. Because they are highly desirable, by people in and outside of that city. Whereas the "upscale" neighborhoods in Houston that are quite literally copy jobs by developers to lure people to throw money at things.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston