Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 972,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Lake front view? Hahahahahahaha. Double the cost dude. You're looking west I guarantee it. If you want a view of the lake from a high floor, these apts run close to 3k a month!!!!! Come on man, You can't BS me like you can the rest of the houston board because I know better, I live here. I know what apts cost because I live in one here!!!!!! LOL. Honestly, I can post 500 apts in Houston like this one, that's the problem. There are too many to post.

Look, I've said this once and I'll say it again. Any large city you can manipulate your cost of living to fit into whatever budget you want. Can you live in Chicago for a $500 a month? Yes you can!!!! I had a buddy l use to trade with in NY that lived in a room in Spanish Harlem for $300 a month!! Living the life dude!

The point is how much does it cost to get the same in both cities. I can show you a lot of apts in Houston that are 1k a month that are 800 to 1k sq feet with pool, business center, safe area, newer building, etc.
The lake is literally around the corner, way to nitpick..

Seriously you are not disproving anything of my post. just regurgitating what you've already said.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Hmm since when did 6 story apartment buildings qualify as high rises?

There are unique neighborhoods and things that cannot be imitated in Chicago, things that should and do push the price of living up. Because they are highly desirable, by people in and outside of that city. Whereas the "upscale" neighborhoods in Houston that are quite literally copy jobs by developers to lure people to throw money at things.

This thread has taken a turn for the worse..

Oh God what a copout. Well hells bells margaret, if you are going to throw that out there then you are creating an environment where your opinions can't be challenged. LOL. All cities have unique qualities that distinguish it from other places. Does Chicago look and feel like SF? Is living in Bryant Park in NY different and unique from living in San Diego. What about living in the rocky mountains of Denver? Come on dude, you are bloviating now big time.

You can't use words like unique and different and special because those words mean different things to different people. We can't "quantify" them. We can quantify cost of living! I know people that would never ever ever under any circumstances would they move to Houston. Even if you offered them a penthouse apt in a luxury high rise for $100 a month. Because for whatever reason, they don't want to live here! The same can be said for LA, NY, Chicago, Miami, etc. Some people like seasons. Some people like the ocean. Some people like Broadway plays. My father has lived for 40 years in St. Louis. I've tried to get him to move. He won't leave for any reason. Why? He loves his St. Louis sports teams. Some people want to be close to their families. So we have to leave these "special" reasons out of the analysis because they are not universal to everybody. They apply uniquely to each individual.

There is no arguing the cost of living in Houston which has only been written about in 100 different magazines and publications.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM

101 posts, read 128,094 times
This post is popular eh, y'all?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,559 times
Instead of comparing neighborhoods and views of whatever....compare sq ft, and actual amenities that the complex offers. Ex: How many pools, covered parking, washer/dryer in units, free movie rental, basketball court, tennis court, sand volleyball, putting green, gym, ups package receiving, yoga classes, pilates classes, spinning classes, tanning room, free starbucks coffee, game room with pool table, free wifi....those were most of the amenities at the apt I lived at near washington....rent was 1300 after cable and garbage pick up for a 1 bedroom with study (big enough to make 2nd bedroom)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
Instead of comparing neighborhoods and views of whatever....compare sq ft, and actual amenities that the complex offers. Ex: How many pools, covered parking, washer/dryer in units, free movie rental, basketball court, tennis court, sand volleyball, putting green, gym, ups package receiving, yoga classes, pilates classes, spinning classes, tanning room, free starbucks coffee, game room with pool table, free wifi....those were most of the amenities at the apt I lived at near washington....rent was 1300 after cable and garbage pick up for a 1 bedroom with study (big enough to make 2nd bedroom)
Hey that sounds really nice. Care to share which complex that is? That's a lot of bang for the buck!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default For get the posts...

Forget the posts and highrise business, let's see some photos of the bikini babes!

Uhh, just to verify that the apartments do have these types of parties of course.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,559 times
Cheval Oh and the apt I was in was 1012 sq ft.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM

561 posts, read 972,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Oh God what a copout. Well hells bells margaret, if you are going to throw that out there then you are creating an environment where your opinions can't be challenged. LOL. All cities have unique qualities that distinguish it from other places. Does Chicago look and feel like SF? Is living in Bryant Park in NY different and unique from living in San Diego. What about living in the rocky mountains of Denver? Come on dude, you are bloviating now big time.

You can't use words like unique and different and special because those words mean different things to different people. We can't "quantify" them. We can quantify cost of living! I know people that would never ever ever under any circumstances would they move to Houston. Even if you offered them a penthouse apt in a luxury high rise for $100 a month. Because for whatever reason, they don't want to live here! The same can be said for LA, NY, Chicago, Miami, etc. Some people like seasons. Some people like the ocean. Some people like Broadway plays. My father has lived for 40 years in St. Louis. I've tried to get him to move. He won't leave for any reason. Why? He loves his St. Louis sports teams. Some people want to be close to their families. So we have to leave these "special" reasons out of the analysis because they are not universal to everybody. They apply uniquely to each individual.

There is no arguing the cost of living in Houston which has only been written about in 100 different magazines and publications.
I agree.. but what does Houston have that is not able to be copied to any other city in the country? Houston doesn't have anything but jobs and cheap living. Something I've said time and time again.

You keep coming up with these apartments that are in "hip, upscale, affluent" parts of Houston, but my point is, and pay attention, is those areas are places that have copies of themselves, even in Houston itself, CityCentre is almost a copy job of Houston Pavillions, which is a copy job of Upper Kirby Center, etc. etc. whereas neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, and others around the country are unique, theres only one Wrigleyville, theres only one Mag. Mile, theres only one Lincoln Park, and countless cities around the country have these types of neighborhoods. And when people want to live in that particular neighborhood, the prices naturally go up.

Whereas Houston has copies and copies of "neighborhoods" therefore, there are cheaper prices, because there are others just like them. So naturally the price goes down, there are other products very similar.
But some people dont understand this and say "Houston is just cheaper" .. but then again ignorance is bliss..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
Nine times out of ten, it is the 6th page when a thread jumps the shark. This one is no exception.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I agree.. but what does Houston have that is not able to be copied to any other city in the country? Houston doesn't have anything but jobs and cheap living. Something I've said time and time again.

You keep coming up with these apartments that are in "hip, upscale, affluent" parts of Houston, but my point is, and pay attention, is those areas are places that have copies of themselves, even in Houston itself, CityCentre is almost a copy job of Houston Pavillions, which is a copy job of Upper Kirby Center, etc. etc. whereas neighborhoods like Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, and others around the country are unique, theres only one Wrigleyville, theres only one Mag. Mile, theres only one Lincoln Park, and countless cities around the country have these types of neighborhoods. And when people want to live in that particular neighborhood, the prices naturally go up.

Whereas Houston has copies and copies of "neighborhoods" therefore, there are cheaper prices, because there are others just like them. So naturally the price goes down, there are other products very similar.
But some people dont understand this and say "Houston is just cheaper" .. but then again ignorance is bliss..
More BS. The entire north side of Chicago is EXACTLY the same. Every hood, every block, every bar. The city's north side is WHITE, Yuppie, Big Ten, frat boy, insecure male multiplied by whatever the population is. You think Wrigleyville is different then Lincoln Park? LOL. What planet are you on? The only area you could argue that is slightly different is the Wicker Park/Bucktown area which is more grungy and alternative. Otherwise every block is a carbon copy of the other. Same irish pub, same sushi place, same coffee shop. No, NY is different and so is SF and even LA. They have drastically different areas. There is not a whiter, more homogenous, sterile, bland block of space in the US then in the north side of Chicago.

What does Houston have? Honestly, I've never met cooler and nicer people in my life. I find people who live in TX in general to be really good people. TX is a state of mind. There just isn't any other place like it. A city is more then it's buildings. Do you think I give two sh*ts if one part of Houston is trying to copy the other. I care about my wallet. I care about my cost of living, I care about my safety and I would prefer to live around people I like and I find interesting. Only some superficial douche bag actually is unhappy because some area is what he feels is a carbon copy of some other area. How insecure does one have to be to let that bother them.

Seriously, off all the cities in the US to make a case for uniqueness, Chicago is not one of them. SF? NY? Boston? even DC? You bet. Chicago? Good lord no. A bunch of spoiled yuppie brats from the surrounding farming states that went to big ten colleges and now move to Chicago to impress their friends back home on the farm. Seriously, Chicago makes me long for moving back to NY which actually has a personality even though the cost of living is atrocious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston