Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
Most people who need services can actually afford them and have substantial funds accrued through compulsory Medisave due to nationalized health care
Singapore's system is nationalized without being socialized in the sense that everyone pays for his own medical expenses via forced savings. It's therefore sustainable without running up the huge unfunded obligations that single-payer systems tend to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I was making the point that Hong Kong and Singapore are places where would-be patients need to demonstrate, up front, the ability to pay for medical treatment, or are refused service, and they are developed areas by most measures.
Not true for Hong Kong unless they want to use a private hospital.

Healthcare seen as Hong Kong birthright__English_SINA.com

Quote:
To many of us who have worked and lived overseas, the Hong Kong healthcare system was the ultimate social safety net that never failed to lend us a strong sense of security. It was comforting to know that if we ever fell ill, we could always return home for care.

I was rushed to hospital after a bad car accident in Hong Kong many years ago. None of the nurses or doctors asked me if I had insurance coverage, or enough money to pay the bill. They just gave me the medical care I needed. The next morning, a stern-faced hospital administrator came to visit me in the ward. I did not know what to expect until she asked me if I needed social service assistance for myself and family.

I stayed in hospital for a week and was charged only for the meals. The total bill was HK$35, and the food was actually not bad at all.
Singapore's is also pretty good.

Fixing the US Health Care System: Look To Singapore | FreedomWorks

Quote:
They call it the three Ms - Medishield, Medifund and Medisave. Medishield is optional catastrophic insurance run by the government. Should a consumer opt to use Medishield, the cost of services has a cap with the government covering the majority of the ultimate cost. Singaporeans can alternatively purchase private catastrophic insurance.

Medifund covers the bottom 10 percent of income earners and is funded by interest the government has accrued from their initial investment in the program. The program currently has $3 billion in interest. Eldershield is also available to cover long-term medical care for those with severe disabilities and the elderly. Between Medishield, Medifund and Eldershield, the left’s goal of universal health coverage is achieved with the added benefit of all being optional and very low cost to the government.

The glue that holds it all together can be found in Medisave, which translates to health savings accounts (HSAs) in America. 85 percent of Singaporeans participate in the program, which redirects 20 percent of their income into a Medisave account. For many Medisave pays for Medishield. However, Singaporeans maintain complete control of their Medisave accounts and can choose from whichever public and private insurance options best meet their needs. In giving citizens ultimate control over their health spending, as opposed to the government like in the U.S., Singapore has incorporated the free-market approach that those on the right know creates success

Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
oceangaia can obviously do nothing but regurgitate right wing talking points. There is no free market in emergency medicine, when you are having a medical emergency you can't call around and get 3 quotes and go with the best price you go to the closest place and they charge you whatever the hell they want if it is justified or not. List prices are often 5 to 10 times what Medicare pays which is actual cost of service plus a small profit, insurance companies usually pay 2-3 times over Medicare so if you are paying out of pocket you are getting royally screwed.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
oceangaia can obviously do nothing but regurgitate right wing talking points. There is no free market in emergency medicine, when you are having a medical emergency you can't call around and get 3 quotes and go with the best price you go to the closest place and they charge you whatever the hell they want if it is justified or not. List prices are often 5 to 10 times what Medicare pays which is actual cost of service plus a small profit, insurance companies usually pay 2-3 times over Medicare so if you are paying out of pocket you are getting royally screwed.
A lot of hospitals have different prices and discounts if you don't have insurance at all. Still more expensive than if you had insurance, but a lot less than what gets billed if you do have insurance.

Example here:
Patient Financial - Clear Lake Medical Center

Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,242,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Those onerous politicians and greedy lawyers and doctors are US, collectively, as a society. Everyone and their brother will beotch all day long about frivolous lawsuits but the instant they themselves see a shot at a lotto payday over some perceived negligence they are out there shopping lawyers too.
What a tragedy that a large portion of our society has come to this. Other than job loss, ridiculously burdensome healthcare bills are the #1 reason for bankrupcty and financial ruin for otherwise self sufficient hardworking families who do not want handouts. Please don't get me started on higher education and nursing homes.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default I'll try go get info...

I will ask my elementary aged child to ask at school how it is done. Half of her school classmates are of parents who are in this country without documents. (HISD). The mothers have babies, surgeries, accidents and every other expense that would otherwise make it a hardship for people here legally. But yet, somehow they manage, and they are always happy.

You never see Mexicans, or Latino's begging on the streets in Houston, never. If they are Latino, they are natural born citizens. However, go to any hospital and all of the 'undocumented' women are having babies left and right; go to an emergency room and half of the people in there are 'undocumented', and they don't pay anything. If they get billed, they don't pay anyway. Go to any social service, you might see the same people you saw earlier.

I guess if you get desperate, you can denounce your citizenship, learn to speak another language, and get all the benefits for free.

</End_Sarcasm>

Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Agree. THIS is horrible. The people who need it most get scewed the most
Why are hospital so unbelievably insanely expensive? There has to be a reason
It didn't used to be this way.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM

36 posts, read 64,960 times
I wish there were two options:

1.) I won't sue the hospital and I'm ready to sign a waiver - please give me a cheaper rate.

2.) I won't sign a "I'll sue the hospital" waiver - charge me the "Chargmaster" rates i.e. 5 dollars for an alcohol wipe and 15 dollars for a sip of tylenol.

Anyway, come Tuesday I'll start calling to request for discount, let' see how it goes. Long journey ahead. I feel for people who don't have insurance at all and are are legals and need to maintain the credit rating etc. It's easy for illegals; they don't have an SSN and they don't need to worry about their record.

I have a job where they check run checks for credit/driving/drug and I can't afford to have any blemish on my record so I have to pay up; getting a 50% discount on 12K and 2 years to pay off will be Christmas for me.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 PM

482 posts, read 875,234 times
I think if you don't have a social or credit what does it matter anyway? They have no way to hurt you if you don't pay. Me or you on the other hand, get it slapped on our credit.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I think if you don't have a social or credit what does it matter anyway? They have no way to hurt you if you don't pay. Me or you on the other hand, get it slapped on our credit.
THIS is appalling and is an insult and slap in the face to hardworking Americans of all backgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston