Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 AM

238 posts, read 697,166 times

Advertisements

I'm working with Precision Pool & Spa to get the pool installed in my backyard. Haven't started the build yet, so jury is still out on final result. So far, they have been good to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,827,909 times
I called 5 different pool builders and only one actually called me back. Must be nice to be too busy to return somebody's call. I ended up going with a friend's recommendation who did their pool in Richmond as well. I will say they have done nice work...just very slow, although I know the weather and holidays have slowed things up. PM me if you want the name.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 31,571 times
Well, we have decided to build our house and put in a pool later...I cannot find a house with a pool that I really enjoy. I like how you put it that it is like your own backyard vacation! That is a nice way to think of it...the bad thing is I was thinking 30K would be sufficient...doesnt look like it!!!!!

Angie

Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM

536 posts, read 1,064,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiewiu View Post
Well, we have decided to build our house and put in a pool later...I cannot find a house with a pool that I really enjoy. I like how you put it that it is like your own backyard vacation! That is a nice way to think of it...the bad thing is I was thinking 30K would be sufficient...doesnt look like it!!!!!

Angie
That's what we did. We couldn't find both so bought the house we wanted and put the pool in 2 years later.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,670,222 times
My original budget was $45K; I'm sooooo far beyond that now, lol.

Be very careful, you start adding this on and that on and eventually your budget is blown to heck and back. I made the mistake of saying, "well, I'm already in for $70K, what difference does another $x make." This will be the biggest ROI hit I've ever taken, lol.

----------

Time lapse camera is setup to take 1 frame of video every 20 seconds. This should provide a finished video of around 20 minutes. Yeah, that's one long video, but it's only 48 seconds a day (6 seconds an hour). I've thought about reducing the overall time, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much by going less than 6 seconds an hour. It's mainly for my own entertainment, so I won't be forcing people to watch my "vacation slide show" pool build.

The hole starts this week.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM

536 posts, read 1,064,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My original budget was $45K; I'm sooooo far beyond that now, lol.

Be very careful, you start adding this on and that on and eventually your budget is blown to heck and back. I made the mistake of saying, "well, I'm already in for $70K, what difference does another $x make." This will be the biggest ROI hit I've ever taken, lol.

----------

Time lapse camera is setup to take 1 frame of video every 20 seconds. This should provide a finished video of around 20 minutes. Yeah, that's one long video, but it's only 48 seconds a day (6 seconds an hour). I've thought about reducing the overall time, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much by going less than 6 seconds an hour. It's mainly for my own entertainment, so I won't be forcing people to watch my "vacation slide show" pool build.

The hole starts this week.

I'm laughing as I'm reading this because it's so true. We started off thinking $40-50k would suffice then it just kept creeping up and up and then you reach that point where you just say screw it, what difference is a couple of grand at this point in time?!

Our biggest mistake though was upfront where we told the builders this is what we want go ahead and design it, breaking out the cost of the upgrades and if we need to cut back a few items we will. Well of course when you see the design with everything in it's very hard to cut anything out at all (we left everything in...)

Looking forward to seeing pictures Pedro - I was fortunate enough to be able to watch a lot of my build (dig, rebar, gunite) and it was amazing to see it. The dig and gunite were the best days. On the dig it's crazy how you going from nothing to a hole in the ground that resembles a pool in just a few hours!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM

They showed up this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston pool builder suggestions?-build1.jpeg   Houston pool builder suggestions?-build2.jpeg  

Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 PM

36 posts, read 56,181 times
About how long do these projects take once they break ground? And when is the money given as in for the down payment, installments and final payment?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iatrogenic View Post
About how long do these projects take once they break ground? And when is the money given as in for the down payment, installments and final payment?
It appears is though 6 weeks is the default timeline they give you.

You have to pay when they put the hole in the ground, when the pool has it's gunite (sp?) and coating and then when the project is complete (at least this is our payment schedule).

Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM

114 posts, read 302,248 times
Pedro,
If you don't mind, can you tell me whats the payment terms u agreed. For Covered Patio, contractor is asking 15% on Contract signature, 35% on first day of job, 35% after 50% of the job completed, 15% Final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston