Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 20,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are from NYC and have been looking for a single family home since Nov. Due to the lack of inventory we decided to go custom in the Museum District. Well, we are now set to close in 2 weeks and we're second guessing the location. There is a new construction home that is very comparable to the house we would build: 4253 Law St, Houston, TX 77005 - HAR.com

Which location is better and safer? Which location has better resell value?

We don't know much about College Court but here are a few reasons why we like Museum District:
-Walk to Herman Park - we have one young child
-Walk to Museums
-Access to entertainment in Midtown/DT - we are in our early 30s
-Urban feel

Thanks

Last edited by mikimou; 02-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
College Court is part of West U. It is a safe area. It is also zoned to one of the best elementary schools in Houston. The Museum District really varies. Parts of it are shady and parts not as much. College Court will have levels better resale value. I am guessing the lots are double the price too. Lots in West U are going for about 105/sqft. I am guessing college court is 95. If you can afford 1 million for a house you have lots of options. I personally would not live in that area with a child. There are just much better family areas in Houston.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 20,986 times
Thanks Schumacher713, yes... the cost of the custom home will be the same price as the West U home. There are not a lot of options for a modern 1 mil home.....we've been looking for quite some time. Early on we considered a house in West U but were turned off because a few neighbors we spoke to were overly involved in the neighborhood. So much so that we felt there would be lack of privacy.

Thanks again......I know you are a regular on this forum and appreciate your assessment.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,636 times
The Museum District is beautiful. Probably one of the most beautiful parts of Houston. I was in that area earlier this evening and saw plenty of people out walking, jogging, baby strollers, dogs. You are close to the museums, parks, zoo, metro rail etc. There can be a sketchy part here and there but for the most part safe. IMO, College Park/West U is no different than any of the suburbs (other than price of course). You have a neighborhood feel and will probably meet more families.

Better = museum district
Safer = college Park
Resell = college park

Museum district has more charm and the area can't be duplicated. College Park is safer and will probably have better resell value since families flock there.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikimou View Post
Thanks Schumacher713, yes... the cost of the custom home will be the same price as the West U home. There are not a lot of options for a modern 1 mil home.....we've been looking for quite some time. Early on we considered a house in West U but were turned off because a few neighbors we spoke to were overly involved in the neighborhood. So much so that we felt there would be lack of privacy.

Thanks again......I know you are a regular on this forum and appreciate your assessment.
I lived in West U for eight years. I don't know what you are talking about a lack of privacy. I really don't think there is a better family neighborhood in Houston. I never had any issues in all my years living there aside from animal control fining the crap out of me a few times. I had one dog who thought she was Houdini. If I had a family I would move back there. I also have a few friends that lived there and love it. I would look at older houses in West U, Southside Place, and South Hampton. Sadly, you are right that 1 million does not buy you that much in the loop anymore. It will buy you a very nice house in Garden Oaks with a huge yard. There are just much better areas than the museum district for 1mil. I would also look at some Heights homes. New construction is nice, but not everything. Though I do understand that inventory is super low right now. I am not high on college court as the lots are tiny and close to the tracks. It won't increase in value like other parts of West U. As I said I would peak into some older houses. My buddy lived in an older house for about 6 years and is now building a custom one there. Lot location means everything for appreciation. Let Cheryljohns chime in as she is a realtor and lives in West U. I think that is her name.

I think the Museums will get old. I mean how many times will you walk over here? Being next to Hermann will be nice, but not all that. I would be more concerned with the school and safety of the area. I have a friend that lives over there. I have peaked over there for some development property. That area will be hit hard with townhouses. There is another highrise coming up on Caroline. I just see it as a single persons area or a doctor that can't afford the more expensive areas.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,142,696 times
If you're talking about the Binz area(museum district) I would stay west of Almeda and south of Southmore. If you can afford West U, I would also look at University Place which is in between West U and the Museum district. And you would still be close to Rice Village, the museum district, Hermann Park the Zoo. If I had money and could live anywhre that's where I would live.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM

960 posts, read 2,749,312 times
I don't like College Court because it has a lot of townhouses and condo complexes next to Westlayan and it's not West University. The Museum District sounds better for your taste. Also, you may want to build or buy a house on a busier street; you'll get much less neighborly involvement.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,042 times
I live in College Court place in the 4200 block. College Court Place is in West University if the property is on the south side of Law street. 4253 Law should be on the south side. The dividing line between the City of West U and City of Houston is actually in the center of Law St. That is why there are only single family homes on the south side and townhouses on the north side of Law St. 4253 is pretty close to the railroad tracks. We are in a no whistle zone, but you can hear the rumbling of the train if you are near the tracks. I live closer to Academy, and the trains do not bother me. There are no townhouses allowed in the part of College Court place actually within the West U City limits. If you are in the part of College Court Place zoned to West U, you get all of the West U City amenities and are zoned to West U Elementary, which is a great public school. The museum district is not zoned to good public elementary schools. If you live in College Court Place you are within walking distance of Judson Park. My daughter loved the park when she was little.There is also a good City swimming pool and recreation center across Bissonnet. We walk there too. I have lived in College Court Place for 20 years and our investment has tripled in value.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:46 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Why are some implying the townhouses and condos in College Court are a negative? Are they severely deteriorated? I don't know why having them near a single family home is somehow bad.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Sorry, Katie. It was your name I was trying to think of. Listen to Katie. This is a no brainer. I lived on Nottingham near Wake Forest. All my neighbors were just great people. I used to go down to the park to play pick up basketball. As far as living in the loop there is no better save River Oaks, but that is another price range. I miss my old house there. Also, West U took over the old YMCA when they built a new facility which Katie mentioned. There are a lot of perks to living in West U. They have their own police and fire dept. Crime is much lower than anywhere in the surrounding areas. I think you would have to be nuts to pick the Museum District over West U with kids. Anyways, I would still look into some other good areas like I listed earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston