Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
No. The area north of Clay is what they dint consider to be part of Katy because it's not in the Katy ISD. But from I-10 to Clay is Katy.
Well everything between Clay and FM 529 has a Katy address, so how exactly does people trying to pawn that part of N Katy off not prove my point still?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM

82 posts, read 69,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
There are areas of Katy in CyFair ISD, parts of Houston in CyFair ISD, parts of Waller in Katy ISD, parts of Westchase in Alief ISD, parts of the Woodlands in Klein ISD and other parts of the woodlands within Conroe ISD, etc.. It has been proven time and time again on these forums for years, school district boundary lines are not a good way for discerning municipality boundaries within Houston. At all.

I find it’s either being done by transplants who don’t know better, or real estate agents/boosters whom have a bias in viewing the less desirable parts of their community as actually part of another community. Case in point, the amount of Katy boosters that try to say N Katy between I-10 and FM-529 is in fact Cypress and not Katy, when in all actuality, this area they’re trying to push off as not part of Katy, was considered Katy long before cinco ranch or anything else was being built south of I-10. Biggest pet peeve I have on here and it never ends with these Katy boosters..
The area I previously mentioned is within Alief geographic boundaries, one could say its the very tip of Alief but it’s still Alief regardless. The majority of the Westchase District is within Alief, all those office buildings from the early 1980s on Richmond Avenue west of Beltway 8 are in Alief, the West Houston Medical Center is in Alief, Royal Oaks and Andrau Airport before that is/was in Alief.

The Westchase District wasn’t even established up until the mid/late 1990s nobody used the term “Westchase” it was just known as Alief.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:42 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
They are trying to pawn it off because it is not as nice as the rest of Katy. It is also outside of the Katy ISD boundaries. HOW ABOUT THIS!!! They are about to split that Zip Code into 2 zip codes and YES Clay Road will be the dividing line. The same thing happened in Sugar Land when 77498 split off from the 77478 zip code. Which is almost part of Alief. There are a lot of Katy residents who would love to disown that area as all the crime etc gets reported as happening in "Katy" and thereby tainting its image as a great place to raise a family.

Quote:
Well everything between Clay and FM 529 has a Katy address, so how exactly does people trying to pawn that part of N Katy off not prove my point still?

Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 AM

348 posts, read 460,429 times
Quote:
There are areas of Katy in CyFair ISD, parts of Houston in CyFair ISD, parts of Waller in Katy ISD, parts of Westchase in Alief ISD, parts of the Woodlands in Klein ISD and other parts of the woodlands within Conroe ISD, etc.. It has been proven time and time again on these forums for years, school district boundary lines are not a good way for discerning municipality boundaries within Houston. At all.

I find it’s either being done by transplants who don’t know better, or real estate agents/boosters whom have a bias in viewing the less desirable parts of their community as actually part of another community. Case in point, the amount of Katy boosters that try to say N Katy between I-10 and FM-529 is in fact Cypress and not Katy, when in all actuality, this area they’re trying to push off as not part of Katy, was considered Katy long before cinco ranch or anything else was being built south of I-10. Biggest pet peeve I have on here and it never ends with these Katy boosters..
Thank you! I don't get it either. It goes on and on. There are parts of Tomball that go to CyFair ISD, Klein ISD and Tomball ISD. It's like people just make up their own boundaries since these areas are typically unincorporated and not separate towns/cities.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:24 AM

223 posts, read 262,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Thank you! I don't get it either. It goes on and on. There are parts of Tomball that go to CyFair ISD, Klein ISD and Tomball ISD. It's like people just make up their own boundaries since these areas are typically unincorporated and not separate towns/cities.
Exactly...why is an ISD boundary any less valid than a post office boundary? Neither are municipal governments, they're ways of sorting geographically.

AFAIK, unless you have a mayor, you're just living in Harris/Ft. Bend/Montgomery county. Call it what you want.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:27 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
They are trying to pawn it off because it is not as nice as the rest of Katy. It is also outside of the Katy ISD boundaries. HOW ABOUT THIS!!! They are about to split that Zip Code into 2 zip codes and YES Clay Road will be the dividing line. The same thing happened in Sugar Land when 77498 split off from the 77478 zip code. Which is almost part of Alief. There are a lot of Katy residents who would love to disown that area as all the crime etc gets reported as happening in "Katy" and thereby tainting its image as a great place to raise a family.
Well, Katy ISD goes well north of Clay on the west side of 99.

How is South Katy seceding from greater Katy going to help things? Instead perhaps high school school attendance boundaries should include areas both south and north of I-10, especially if that makes attendance patterns more efficient. It would also help unify north and south as a community. Impacts on real estate values should not factor into the decision.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
North Katy gets a pretty unfair bad reputation, and I think the reason is mainly because it's not as nice as South Katy. The only "questionable" side of North Katy would be the square that's roughly between Fry Road, Clay Road, Mason Road, and Franz Road. And to be quite honest it's as questionable as the area of South Katy between 99, Kingsland, Westgreen, and I-10. So basically nothing much to worry about.

I grew up in North Katy and there's a lot of value there with many good neighborhoods and a more diverse population. It lacks things like sidewalks, but it has a wider range of food options, just as good entertainment, great road connectivity, less traffic, and is still in one of the highest rated school districts. I've had friends in South Katy that had to deal with crime. Let's face it, it is much closer to higher crime areas of Houston/Alief than North Katy is.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:48 PM

82 posts, read 69,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I've had friends in South Katy that had to deal with crime. Let's face it, it is much closer to higher crime areas of Houston/Alief than North Katy is.
Oh please. Crime is everywhere these days including the suburbs (north Katy, south Katy, bear creek cypress etc.)

Those “higher crime” areas of Houston/Alief also have higher property values than north katy

Old 09-06-2019, 06:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Oh please. Crime is everywhere these days including the suburbs (north Katy, south Katy, bear creek cypress etc.)

Those “higher crime” areas of Houston/Alief also have higher property values than north katy

I'm not disagreeing with any of this and just stating a simple fact.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:29 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Agreed

It's a fact of life. If you want to do a test to see if your neighborhood is safe DO THIS. 1) place a medium sized FED-EX box in plain sight outside your front door. 2) Wait a week. If the box is still there your probably OK. If it's gone then join the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston