Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM

348 posts, read 460,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The Woodlands is a very specific private development. It extends from Conroe ISD into Tomball ISD and, according to you (I'm not sure you're correct on this), Klein ISD. You can be in The Woodlands and also be in Tomball or Klein. (Though Tomball is an actual incorporated town.)

Bridgeland, I believe, will also extend into Waller ISD. Those folks will no longer get to claim "Cypress".

You just seem to want to let Katy and Cypress folks exclude the area between Morton and Longenbaugh from their community identities just because it doesn't fit their desired demographic images. Sorry, that's ridiculous.
To be fair, I don't think he's doing that at all though. I think his point is that if you have a Katy address, you live in Katy and if you have a Cypress address, you live in Cypress. That's all. Borders have to be somewhere. I live in Cypress, right at the border of Tomball. A portion of the Tomball residents close to me are in CyFair ISD and the others are in Tomball ISD. They all seem to say they live in Tomball, which is what makes sense to me. I believe a portion of Magnolia is even zoned to Tomball and they don't go around saying they live in Tomball.

I only moved here a year ago though and the only thing that makes sense to me is to say you live where your postal address says. It seems odd to go further into the details regarding which school district, fire department or what have you serves your area.

Same thing with Conroe ISD spanning the Woodlands, Conroe, Spring (yes I know that the Woodlands is technically mostly in Spring and Tomball). People in Spring and the Woodlands zoned to Conroe ISD don't go around saying they live in Conroe. Why would they?

Also we're not talking about the incorporated town of Tomball, that's a very small area. The whole reason for this conversation is due to the lack of incorporation. We're mostly talking about the unincorporated areas. Those in the unincorporated areas of Tomball certainly say they live in Tomball.

I do agree that the identity may be different. For example, Connecticut tends to have a NY or New England identity, depending on how close one is to the NYC or Boston area. That doesn't mean they are not from Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 12:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
See ETJs making everyone fight each other. No one knows where they belong and are just "here". Would be way better if we had simple city limit boundaries that are well defined.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM

223 posts, read 262,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
See ETJs making everyone fight each other. No one knows where they belong and are just "here". Would be way better if we had simple city limit boundaries that are well defined.
This. If you don't have a mayor, you're just in <insert county here>, no matter what school district or post office you're assigned.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:23 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornHotspur View Post
This. If you don't have a mayor, you're just in <insert county here>, no matter what school district or post office you're assigned.
Would that it was that simple. Take Baybrook Mall. It's within the incorporated boundaries of Houston, not Friendswood. But, it has a Friendswood mailing address, and the media often says Baybrook is in Friendswood. The City of Friendswood certainly wishes Baybrook was within its boundaries, but it's not.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,874 times
Quote:
Agree. I don’t live in Katy or anything, but I still don’t understand ETJs and I have been here 15 years. It really is like you live nowhere.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 PM

82 posts, read 69,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't care about those schools. Those boundaries are artificial. I trust only geographical/postal boundaries.
Imagine, you live in North North Katy (north of Clay Rd) and you are having emergency in your house. You are calling police or fire department. Which address are you going to give them? Your official Katy address or maybe tell them something about school zones?
Thanks for proving my point. Living in an unincorporated area like north Katy makes you feel like you live nowhere because you aren’t officially apart of Katy or City of Houston. You don’t receive any City services such as Houston’s 311.

Living in north Katy your totally dependent on your local unincorporated law enforcement. Have fun!

Even “ghetto” Alief is within City of Houston boundaries and receives 311 service requests and has the Houston Police Department on its side.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,949,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Thanks for proving my point. Living in an unincorporated area like north Katy makes you feel like you live nowhere because you aren’t officially apart of Katy or City of Houston. You don’t receive any City services such as Houston’s 311.

Living in north Katy your totally dependent on your local unincorporated law enforcement. Have fun!

Even “ghetto” Alief is within City of Houston boundaries and receives 311 service requests and has the Houston Police Department on its side.
There are significant portions of Alief (including areas east of SH 6) that are in unincorporated Harris County.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:18 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Agree. I don’t live in Katy or anything, but I still don’t understand ETJs and I have been here 15 years. It really is like you live nowhere.
It makes a difference with things like home buying too. In most other metro areas there are cities, so if you want a home in that city you type "this city" and you'll get well defined borders. Nothing outside of those borders is that city and what you see is what you get. Meanwhile for Houston, you can type in "Cinco Ranch" and the borders that pop up is like half of Cinco Ranch (looking at Zillow here). It does not give new homebuyers a good measure or boundary of where they are going to live.

I hope the Houston area can get its act together here. It doesn't have a good counter for having so many heavily populated unincorporated areas. The Atlanta area at least has a bunch of smaller city-like counties. The NE has a bunch of townships and stronger counties. Other areas like Indianapolis and Nashville had city-county mergers. The majority of Houston remains in limbo.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 AM

223 posts, read 262,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Would that it was that simple. Take Baybrook Mall. It's within the incorporated boundaries of Houston, not Friendswood. But, it has a Friendswood mailing address, and the media often says Baybrook is in Friendswood. The City of Friendswood certainly wishes Baybrook was within its boundaries, but it's not.
Neither what the media 'says' nor what Friendswood wants matters. That development is within Houston municipal boundaries (likely for sales tax purposes).

If my uncle has.....oh never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston