Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 PM

34 posts, read 31,600 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about North Katy west of 99/north of i10

I have done plenty of exploration around the area as I will be moving there next month, so far I see alot of diversity within the neighborhoods and local retail stores.

My son will be attending paetow high school on which I think has a great campus and my other 2 younger kids will be going to Bethke elementary.

I read on an older post someone calling this whole area the next alief??? I actually believe this area has alot of potential in becoming a great area - any thoughts?? Any comments regarding the schools would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Classic North Katy, north of I-10, east of 99 and west of Barker Cypress is pretty much Alief-2.
Some areas of North Katy are worse than Alief.

New North Katy west of 99 definitely has a potential of becoming Alief-3. But it's more complicated, since there are some more expensive communities like Ventana Lakes and Elyson. They would resist becoming Alief-3. But some of cheaper New North Katy communities like Morton Creek Ranch have already converted into Alief-3.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:32 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Classic North Katy, north of I-10, east of 99 and west of Barker Cypress is pretty much Alief-2.
Some areas of North Katy are worse than Alief.

New North Katy west of 99 definitely has a potential of becoming Alief-3. But it's more complicated, since there are some more expensive communities like Ventana Lakes and Elyson. They would resist becoming Alief-3. But some of cheaper New North Katy communities like Morton Creek Ranch have already converted into Alief-3.
I doubt the crime in any part of North Katy is worse than From a zip code perspective. 77493 which is west if I-ten is just as safe as 77450, everything south of I-ten east of 99. 77494 is just web safe as Mission Bend which is somewhere between 55%-65% of the rate of crime in Alief compared to 1/4 in 77494 (Southwest) or 1/3 in 77493 and 77450. 77084 which also has some areas known as North Katy has the same rate as 77494.

Basically 77494 is the most dangerous part of Katy and it isn’t as dangerous as Alief and is most comparable to Mission and d, Texas.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I doubt the crime in any part of North Katy is worse than From a zip code perspective. 77493 which is west if I-ten is just as safe as 77450, everything south of I-ten east of 99. 77494 is just web safe as Mission Bend which is somewhere between 55%-65% of the rate of crime in Alief compared to 1/4 in 77494 (Southwest) or 1/3 in 77493 and 77450. 77084 which also has some areas known as North Katy has the same rate as 77494.

Basically 77494 is the most dangerous part of Katy and it isn’t as dangerous as Alief and is most comparable to Mission and d, Texas.
77449, North Katy.
Maybe I underestimate danger of Alief which never seemed too bad to me.
But I lived in North Katy and I am glad I got out of there smoothly.

Good thing about that area: fast police response time. They normally arrive in a couple of minutes.

But when it was a drive-by shooting, even those 2-3 minutes were not enough. I found most shootings in that area get unreported. Not all shootings result in injuries/deaths, but anyway how would you know if it's going to be alright if you hear bunch of gunshots next to your house?

Crime map looked green (very good) in the worst part of North Katy. But that's all fake in reality. People were selling drugs from their house, multiple people reported them, but authorities still were not willing to shut down that house completely.

I heard from an HOA board member, there were renters in one house... seems like they were involved into some gang activities. They fled the place and disappeared after someone made over 10 bullet holes in that house. An owner had to travel from out of state to fix the house, it was left with open doors etc; people were concerned if somebody will squat in and convert it into a meth lab.
I don't know how more dangerous Alief is.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Katy-Texas/crime/

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/A...on/6271/crime/

Hmm...based on Trulia data you are right, Alief is definitely not a paradise. I always referred to part of Alief adjacent to Bellaire Blvd, and seems like that's the safest part of Alief. And Alief is much bigger than I thought.
I don't know how it feels living in not so good part of Alief, how many gunshots you should expect to hear daily in that area. But I definitely know that North Katy is underreported in those crime databases. Maybe because it is unincorporated Harris county.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:06 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Why does this forum continually bash North Katy, and pretty much every other single family area affordable to the middle class? It wouldn't have anything to do with the area being heavily working- and middle-class Hispanic area, would it? I have to wonder if many posters in this forum aren't just flat-out prejudiced.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Why does this forum continually bash North Katy, and pretty much every other single family area affordable to the middle class? It wouldn't have anything to do with the area being heavily working- and middle-class Hispanic area, would it? I have to wonder if many posters in this forum aren't just flat-out prejudiced.
I clearly told the reason: GUNSHOTS, DRUG HOUSES, METH LABS, DRIVE-BY SHOOTINGS, GANGS.
I totally love idea of affordable housing (120-150K), but unfortunately those types of areas attract criminally minded people.
I have a friend who bought 130-150K house, brand new in a totally new community north of Pearland. That community turned sketchy right from a beginning.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:42 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Katy-Texas/crime/

https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/A...on/6271/crime/

Hmm...based on Trulia data you are right, Alief is definitely not a paradise. I always referred to part of Alief adjacent to Bellaire Blvd, and seems like that's the safest part of Alief. And Alief is much bigger than I thought.
I don't know how it feels living in not so good part of Alief, how many gunshots you should expect to hear daily in that area. But I definitely know that North Katy is underreported in those crime databases. Maybe because it is unincorporated Harris county.
I got my new zip code and old one mixed up 77449 and 77494.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:22 AM

34 posts, read 31,600 times
Hi guys,

Based on the comments here, I went out and spent all day yesterday driving around north Katy north of i10 and west of 99 as well as surrounding areas past south of i10 east of 99 - I spoke to some locals, visited schools, retail stores etc... ghostown, thanks for your information - I'd be curious to visit these areas you noted experiencing gang activity, drive by shootings etc...??

Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 AM

467 posts, read 779,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Completely agree, very well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston