Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 05:34 PM

10,050 posts, read 6,754,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have never stepped foot in La Michoacane,is it like Fiesta?
I would say Kroger has better store brand than HEB or Wmt
La Michoacana isn’t like Fiesta. Michoacanas are smaller (some are straight up convenience stores) with a little restaurant in them. Fiesta is for all of Latin America while Michoacana focuses on Mexico. And Michoacana has a nice store brand, Fiesta’s isn’t as known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 06:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,579,341 times
what do they serve in restaurant?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
what do they serve in restaurant?
Breakfast, tacos, mole, barbacoa, chicken, pollo asado, rice, beans, etc. it’s like a c store setting where the food is prepped when you order it.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,579,341 times
I think I HAVE SEEN one on Bellaire,?
I will check out the fresh produce,someone said hispanic stores have papaya at a good price.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:31 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,784,164 times
And chicharrones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Breakfast, tacos, mole, barbacoa, chicken, pollo asado, rice, beans, etc. it’s like a c store setting where the food is prepped when you order it.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,784,164 times
I have found the produce to sometimes be hit or miss. Just my experience, yours and others may vary.

Quote:
I think I HAVE SEEN one on Bellaire,?
I will check out the fresh produce,someone said hispanic stores have papaya at a good price.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,493,089 times
My family shops at Kroger. HEB has too many food handling issues regarding refrigeration. (Definitely won't live in Austin or San Antonio!)

Randalls was good for some items that were not carried in Kroger (Red Gold Ketchup, for example). Once the Mason Road Randalls closed, we shopped exclusively at Kroger. Kroger is all over Cinco Ranch, while Randalls was 5 miles away and was hoping that they would finally open a closer store for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
You're missing a piece. Safeway bought Randall's / Tom Thumb in 1999. Then Albertsons bought Safeway some years later.
Actually Randalls bought Tom Thumb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randalls

Quote:
Expanding from Houston

In the 1990s Randalls expanded into Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin. Cullum Companies, owner of 62 Tom Thumb and Simon David stores in Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin, became part of the Randalls family in 1992, doubling the company's size with more than 115 stores statewide. The Tom Thumb logo was changed to one similar to Randalls, but the Tom Thumb name was retained. Already in Austin with the Tom Thumb name, Randalls added its own name to the market in January 1994 when the company bought 12 AppleTree Markets stores (ironically a grocer formed with former Safeway locations as a result of Safeway leaving Texas in 1988). Nine of the 12 AppleTree Markets and all seven Tom Thumb stores were converted to the Randalls banner, giving the company a significant presence in the Texas Hill Country.
This is also the reason why Safeway's regional office remained in Westchase after the merger. After Albertsons bought Safeway, the declining division offices were closed and the Cypress warehouse was closed in favor of the Dallas warehouse (where the Tom Thumb brand was still strong). Texas became the responsibility of Albertsons' existing regional office in Fort Worth.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:26 AM

5,647 posts, read 5,005,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
My family shops at Kroger. HEB has too many food handling issues regarding refrigeration. (Definitely won't live in Austin or San Antonio!)

Randalls was good for some items that were not carried in Kroger (Red Gold Ketchup, for example). Once the Mason Road Randalls closed, we shopped exclusively at Kroger. Kroger is all over Cinco Ranch, while Randalls was 5 miles away and was hoping that they would finally open a closer store for convenience.

Actually Randalls bought Tom Thumb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randalls

This is also the reason why Safeway's regional office remained in Westchase after the merger. After Albertsons bought Safeway, the declining division offices were closed and the Cypress warehouse was closed in favor of the Dallas warehouse (where the Tom Thumb brand was still strong). Texas became the responsibility of Albertsons' existing regional office in Fort Worth.
Yes, not sure how what you're saying conflicts with what I wrote?

The key point in all of this is that the decline in Randall's public perception really began, or significantly accelerated, with its sale to Safeway. I don't know if a similar perception affected Tom Thumb or not.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yes, not sure how what you're saying conflicts with what I wrote?

The key point in all of this is that the decline in Randall's public perception really began, or significantly accelerated, with its sale to Safeway. I don't know if a similar perception affected Tom Thumb or not.
Tom Thumb has declined a bit just not as much. DFW’s grocery store scene is much less competitive than Houston so Tom Thumb benefits from that. People are more likely willing to pay more to not go to Walmart than they are to not go to HEB. Once HEB begins expanding in DFW, this will be a test for them.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:54 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,005,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Tom Thumb has declined a bit just not as much. DFW’s grocery store scene is much less competitive than Houston so Tom Thumb benefits from that. People are more likely willing to pay more to not go to Walmart than they are to not go to HEB. Once HEB begins expanding in DFW, this will be a test for them.
Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston