Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,053,761 times

Advertisements

what about the apartment complexes that were behind it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,840,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what about the apartment complexes that were behind it??
Club Creek? The worst. There is also an old Country Club back there that predates the mall & apartments and all of that.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,809,225 times
Any pictures of Sharpstown?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM

23 posts, read 50,060 times
Default Living in Sharpstown

I bought a house in Sharpstown in 2004 and love living here. I have not had a day of trouble with crime or anything its reputation would suggest. I work in Greenway plaza area and so the daily commute for me is literally 15 minutes door to door. I am also just 5-10 minutes away from Chinatown, Gallaria and even sugarland.

I didn't have school age children, so school district was not a concern. I can see why people with kids would much rather be in Sugarland or Katy. But they are way too far for daily commute for me.

Now the question, will the property price go up much more in Sharpstown? (One thing that should not be ignored is that the median home value doubled in all Sharpstown area in the last 15-17 years, since 1993.) This is bullish for Sharpstown real estate price since the area obviously proved itself. My own house (in 77036 zip code area) did not appreciate much futher since I bought it because price had already gone up. But so what? I pay lower property taxes and enjoy living here. I personally don't think Sharpstown home price will advance significantly without sharp increase in gas prices, like $5/gallon or $10/gallon or even $15/gallon. Those prices are not unthinkable as $5-$10 per gallon is about what rest of the world pays where without government subsidy. We will get there one day, then Sharpstown will have it true renaissance. The neighborhood has wide street, mature trees, large lots ...... perfect for a come back.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 PM

221 posts, read 611,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybac248 View Post
I bought a house in Sharpstown in 2004 and love living here. I have not had a day of trouble with crime or anything its reputation would suggest. I work in Greenway plaza area and so the daily commute for me is literally 15 minutes door to door. I am also just 5-10 minutes away from Chinatown, Gallaria and even sugarland.

I didn't have school age children, so school district was not a concern. I can see why people with kids would much rather be in Sugarland or Katy. But they are way too far for daily commute for me.

Now the question, will the property price go up much more in Sharpstown? (One thing that should not be ignored is that the median home value doubled in all Sharpstown area in the last 15-17 years, since 1993.) This is bullish for Sharpstown real estate price since the area obviously proved itself. My own house (in 77036 zip code area) did not appreciate much futher since I bought it because price had already gone up. But so what? I pay lower property taxes and enjoy living here. I personally don't think Sharpstown home price will advance significantly without sharp increase in gas prices, like $5/gallon or $10/gallon or even $15/gallon. Those prices are not unthinkable as $5-$10 per gallon is about what rest of the world pays where without government subsidy. We will get there one day, then Sharpstown will have it true renaissance. The neighborhood has wide street, mature trees, large lots ...... perfect for a come back.
My parents bought their house in 1992 for 35k, its now valued at 110k. The prices have been steadily increasing until the housing market collapsed which made prices flatline. Real growth will definitely occur though eventually in a few years with a booming housing market and China Town steadily moving in closer and closer inside the Beltway away from Alief which has been going way down hill as of recent. Just a few months ago a big eyesore shopping center off of Bellaire and Redding across from burning tree dr. was completely remodeled, new asian restaurants are moving in.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybac248 View Post

Interesting you claim you're 5 minutes from Sugar Land, but the commute from Sugar Land is "way too far."

Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM

221 posts, read 611,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Interesting you claim you're 5 minutes from Sugar Land, but the commute from Sugar Land is "way too far."
sugarland is in the opposite direction and is about 20 minutes away

Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 AM

23 posts, read 50,060 times
Thank you for reading and I stand corrected that Sugar Land is more than 5 minutes away.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,519,633 times
I'm trying to think if any other neighborhood in Houston overcame/gentrified successfully after a stigma as bad as Sharpstown/Fondren SW.... Only from posts in here I assume there are some safe haven little pockets in there, but know one really knows about them.And for the most part would dismiss them just because the area surrounding them is the roughest in Houston.

I'm not saying it won't happen, I just can't think of a neighborhood that came back from such a dangerous, not just run down and sketchy, reputation. Modster would know if anyone.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
Renting in Sharpstown is not the way to go. Yes, its affordable but the landlords are crooks. They take advantage of lower income situations by making it almost impossible to live once you have signed the agreement to rent. When you look at the apts. in Sharptown and see the appearance and hear tey arebad appts. it only refelcts thier managent and owners, not the neighborhood which i have seen a great change for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston