Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

Now Playing: Puff Daddy And The Family > No Way Out (1997) > Victory

And now, a toast to keeping the poor folks out.

Here, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Here, here.
Let's not go back there, please.

This means other, more deserving applicants will receive the tax credits instead, based off TDHCA's points system.

Here, here.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Now Playing: Puff Daddy And The Family > No Way Out (1997) > Victory

Here, here.
so true

Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 PM

37 posts, read 86,942 times
Hello AK123,

You are correct!!! we need to stop this developer from building this complex, which be zoned to Fortbend ISD. Tell me what I can do to mobilze more sugar landers. Good day to you !!!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacyandian View Post
So, the fact that me and my fiance can't find a job right now makes us criminals? We are low income, we get government benefits, for our child, he is the one that gets the benefits, so he can have food and diapers. Are we white trash? If you saw us out and about I bet you would not think so.

I understand that a lot of crime happens in low income neighborhoods, don't get me wrong, i lived close to Memphis, Tn and my fiance lived in Cincinnati for a while and we know the kind of stuff that happens.

But, the fact that it is being built in Sugar Land will most likely make it better and less likely crime based. The economy is in such bad shape right now and a lot of people that would not normally be considered low income, are right now. So you never know, it could very likely be the same people that live around there now, but can't afford their place anymore and have to go into a low income apt.

Don't judge on the amount of money somebody makes, it's just not nice.

Well said! I wish the best for you and your young family -Peace.

For all those who see nothing but their 'good' neighborhoods turning into crime infested areas . . . that unless you work to change the mindset of the individual then, no matter where you live and run to live, you will always have depleted areas of your neighborhoods. It's generational; individuals who don't know, haven't been taught, can't see or simply don't care dont' realize & understand that with work, drive, and determination they can make their situations better. You can't achieve a dream if you don't have one. You might think that that's not YOUR job, but who's is it? Complaining never solved any problems. If we all work to improve and enhance our communities by actually working with our neighbors instead of against them than we will all be able to live in 'good neighborhoods'.
-Share the Love!

Last edited by Think . . . Change; 03-09-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 10:03 AM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think . . . Change View Post
Well said! I wish the best for you and your young family -Peace.

For all those who see nothing but their 'good' neighborhoods turning into crime infested areas . . . that unless you work to change the mindset of the individual then, no matter where you live and run to live, you will always have depleted areas of your neighborhoods. It's generational; individuals who don't know, haven't been taught, can't see or simply don't care dont' realize & understand that with work, drive, and determination they can make their situations better. You can't achieve a dream if you don't have one. You might think that that's not YOUR job, but who's is it? Complaining never solved any problems. If we all work to improve and enhance our communities by actually working with our neighbors instead of against them than we will all be able to live in 'good neighborhoods'.
-Share the Love!
+1 The recession is affecting ALL! socioeconomic levels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/21/bu...r&st=cse&scp=1

And I'm a Clements grad, too.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 03-09-2010 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 AM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Great news. Thanks for getting us together on this one.
Now, do you know of any other low income (section 8) communities (complete or pending) in the neighborhood to New Territory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Just received word from Robbye Meyer at TDHCA -

Likely due to pressure from area residents and revelations brought to light by the area civic group United77498, Goldshire has officially withdrawn their application as of today!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to send in opposition letters to TDHCA. Final count was 2,605 opposition letters!

You can bet United77498 will be keeping watch on future developments in this area and keep working for you, the residents. Stay tuned.

AK
United77498 - Sugar Land, TX

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
Great News!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 AM

739 posts, read 2,262,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I will paste the emails that were forwarded to me:

Apparently there has been an application filed by a developer for a low-income multi-family complex at 16827 Old Richmond Rd in Sugar Land. The area appears to be in the Austin High School or Kempner High attendance zone.

Here is the information:
Goldshire Townhomes
16827 Old Richmond Rd, Sugar Land
File #09166

This is still in application stages and not yet set in stone - there is still time stop this. There will be a hearing for this application on Monday, April 13th at 6pm at the Houston city hall annex, 900 Bagby in downtown Houston. I know it's in downtown, but if this is of concern to you, please try to attend this hearing.

I have seen many areas which were once great, suffer when overdevelopment of apartments and other low-income housing was allowed to proliferate in the area, the schools went from great to terrible and property values stagnated or fell. Along with this, many undesirable businesses entered the area and crime went up. It all starts with just one.

Here is another link, though I called the State and was told attending the hearing is the best way to try and stop this.
Complaint System - TDHCA

According to one of the documents in the other email, the project contact is Navdip S. Sobti. When I googled "Navidip Sobti", I found several other documents suggesting he has been trying to develop these low-income housing projects. I also got a whitepages address in Forum Park (anyone familiar with this area at Beltway & Hwy 59 knows it's not good).

Another document I found (on page 61) suggests he was perhaps first trying to develop a project by similar name elsewhere in Fort Bend
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:_pqntKGjv9PsJ:www.tdhca.state.tx.us/pdf/transcripts/070510-board.pdf+"Navdip+Sobti"&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(Another email)

We've been getting a lot of e-mails about a sign that went up recently
behind the old white church on Old Richmond Road, near West Airport
Blvd. The sign says that an application has been filed with the Texas
Department of Housing & Community Affairs (TDHCA) to build a
government subsidized, 150-unit, low-income, multi-family development.
It would be called "Goldshire Townhomes."

Details here: www.tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/htc/docs/09-HurricaneIkeCountiesAppLog.pdf

The TDHCA will hold a public hearing on April 13 at 6 p.m. at the City
Hall Annex Chambers Public Level, 900 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002.
Complaints can also be filed at Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs - TDHCA (that's what
they say, but I can't figure out where to send the complaint).

Personally, I think that area is already saturated with low-income
housing, and having another 150 low-income families zoned to our
schools will have a negative impact on the schools and our property
values.

Just trying to get the word out. The more people who complain, the
more likely it is that we'll be able to shoot down this plan.
I didnt know 59 and beltway 8 was dangerous I go there all the time. I didn't know Bellaire and beltway 8 is dangerous I go to Lees Sandwiches all the time.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
If no one wear, poor,we would, not complain.if you new what struggling'.wear you would say it douse not matter,.move like good people, do right.;;the world is moving with out you.its gouing to chang.it has been for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston